Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Leftovers today.

Pork loin marinated in ginger, soy sauce, and um vermouth because I was out of sake :s with carrot and swede mash and green beans. I'll heat this layer up in the microwave at work. Top layer is more pickled cucumber and apple salad and a couple of boiled eggs.

ohtqajlsbkuw.jpg
  • bibliobetty
    bibliobetty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian @Afura Thug Kitchen is the tits! I've made a bunch of the recipes and haven't had a loser yet. The broccoli millet pilaf is my jam.

In other news I have a cold and feel like garbage so my bento is exactly the same as yesterday.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Everything looks great. I finally have days off from work. Going to plan meals, cook if stove gets fixed (yeah, issue there) then hopefully prepare a couple bentos. *hugs thread* Miss posting food pics.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I had the time last night, so I thought I'd go and make one of my older style bentos (when I wasn't working such late hours and getting up so early as well >.<)

My Wednesday bento: mini dim sims, 1 egg tamagoyaki, rice rolls each with a different furikake filling (shiso ume, wakame, bonito flakes), veg and a pickled plum. There's a lot more rice then what I normally have in the box, so the Cal count is higher: 605Cal
    gl96nai7crgt.jpg

And for giggles, a picture of my brekkie: Chia seed and coconut milk pudding with honey and cinnamon, topped with mango (I double checked; it's mango XD ). 452Cal
    573q17j0u4c4.jpg
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I shall perform a dogeza in front of my pantry in way of apologising to the last container of said pears, imploring them to forgive my wickedness in misnaming their flavourful goodness. Then, I shall do the same to the peaches in my fruit bowl.
    I kinda like @SueSueDio suggestion that they're ninja pears.
    On another note, I keep damn bloody forgetting to take pictures of my bento's.
    The ongoing story of many of us in this thread.
    Thug Kitchen is the tits! I've made a bunch of the recipes and haven't had a loser yet. The broccoli millet pilaf is my jam.
    I would expect nothing less of someplace named Thug Kitchen.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I need to cook so I can make bentos :/ I've been eating out basically all week. Our cafeteria's not always the best - but look what they had today! PORK RAMEN!!
    9umuseiqn8bn.jpg

It's not great (as I would expect from a cafeteria as opposed to a ramen spot) but it was okay. I never thought I'd utter this phrase in my life, but there was a little too much pork. I think I might save some and put it in a bento for later this week :p
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Wow 4 days without a bento post by anyone. Shame on us...

Tuesday bento. Smoked salmon with a cucumber, capsicum, parsley and tomato (fresh out of my garden I might add) salad which has been coated in a herb salt and lemon juice then left to sit in a colander to let the excess moisture drain away. A whopping 255 Cals.
    c93vkl4fcnn9.jpeg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Yay for bento! I found 5 minutes to rub together so I got a chance to make a bento for today! Lunch box has mixed rice (kinda gluey, did something wrong here), lobster flakes, cocktail sauce, edamame and a crunchy sesame thing. Snack box has vegetable thins crackers, a cheese stick, a non fancy egg & a kiwi.
    el2x5c9civd6.jpg
    p76p6kq8028s.jpg

• Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those of you that cut your boiled eggs... How do you keep the yolk from turning colors before lunch time? If I cut my eggs the yolk is... not so yellow by the time lunch time comes around for me.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Windchild wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that cut your boiled eggs... How do you keep the yolk from turning colors before lunch time? If I cut my eggs the yolk is... not so yellow by the time lunch time comes around for me.

If I cut my egg, I keep the cut sides facing each other in the box. The discolouration is just oxidisation of components of the egg yolk, much like an apple going brown after you cut it. The discolouration can also be due to overcooking the egg which discolours the yolk.

Since most of us take pics when the box is made, not when we open it at lunchtime, you just can't see it happening to us too ;)
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I was going to say that mine doesn't do that, and I don't do anything special......maybe it's just that there's not enough oxygen for oxidization when you're a mile above sea level :p
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ah... I was just wondering. I don't cut my apples either if I'm taking them for lunch. They just do not look appetising by the time lunch rolls around. *LOL*
  • PixieGoddess
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Forgot to post bentos the last 2 days! They're basically the same: the big tiers had leftover Chinese (shrimp, vegetables, rice) and then leftover Mexican (fajitas) and mixed veggies. I didn't have any rice or anything left to go with the fajitas, so I also grabbed a bag of cracker chips to make lunch more filling. Both bentos had half a boiled egg and some frozen fruit (all I had) in the small tier. Tip: don't put frozen fruit and a boiled egg in a container together. It got kinda gross. :T I actually had 2 more bentos prepped, but I didn't bring one today b/c I don't want that again. I'm going to toss the small tiers and do something else before next week.
    nqirkpx90q90.jpg
    s0isgoqwri6g.jpg
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    6dgkjn3bp1fx.jpg

One from last week I forgot to post, eggs and veggies in the top with some pickled gherkins.

Bottom layer is left over rattertouie with chicken breast.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    6dgkjn3bp1fx.jpg

One from last week I forgot to post, eggs and veggies in the top with some pickled gherkins.

Bottom layer is left over rattertouie with chicken breast.

You forgot to mention the packet of miso soup you have there as well ;)

Bento today for me is a leftover hamburger patty with some tonkatsu sauce and some cheese. Bottom layer is a salad with a wedge of lime.
    9lw4ct16cn53.jpeg

It still kinda shocks me that this container is advertised as a breakfast container. Then again, 2 years ago I would have thought it was a bit on the small side.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    I love miso soup, I have one every day now as my mid morning snack ^__^
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Today's bento: leftover fajitas, jambalaya rice, and mixed veggies, with apple slices and half a boiled egg
    m8jywfuga6tl.jpg
  • Caseysface
    Caseysface Posts: 7 Member
    Options

yyi48pfazw54.jpg

First time posting a bento-ish lunch. Grilled chicken salad, whole bento 470.
  • Myrtle1309
    Myrtle1309 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the blog called 'The World According to Eggface'? She had Weight loss surgery many years ago and packs beautiful, yet practical bento lunches. No starchy stuff. I have been following her since my weight loss surgery in 2011 and find her site to be most helpful. ;)
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Below is the bento I packed for a long day at work (lunch is the top, dinner on bottom). For lunch it's balsamic roasted beets, vinegared rice with peas, miso-glazed salmon, and a one-egg tamagoyaki. Dinner was a mini naan, cherub tomatoes, celery, carrots, and roasted red pepper hummus (not pictured). Don't you just love it when everything fits so neatly? :D
    yo6r0ena4073.jpg