Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    has anyone worked with jicama, i think it will work good in a bento. Made a pico de gallo with it , ate it raw, just wondering holding time.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    also heard its good in stirfries
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    has anyone worked with jicama, i think it will work good in a bento. Made a pico de gallo with it , ate it raw, just wondering holding time.

I've only had jicama raw, I would think it would have the same hang time as a carrot, the edges might get a little dry, but otherwise it should be fine. So far the only thing I didn't like in my bento after it sat around all day was cut red plums. They got kind of gross.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I had to look that one up; we don't get it here in Aus. I think it would work quite well as long its not something that crumbles once it's cooked.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »
    Don't you just love it when everything fits so neatly? :D
    Bentos - Putting all that time playing Tetris to good use.

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Amerane wrote: »
    Don't you just love it when everything fits so neatly? :D
    Bentos - Putting all that time playing Tetris to good use.

I think that every time I make a bento!! :laughing:
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    such beautiful food is very inspiring
  • Ginny218
    Options
    l2pofo76ar3x.jpg
    Fish,Sandwich Fillets - Whole Fillets, Frozen Van De Kamp's, 1 Fillet 190
    Halo - Clementine, 2 orange 70
    Strawberries, raw, 62 g 20
    Babybel - (Light) Mini Cheese, 1 cheese 50
    Jicama - Jicama, 83 g 32
    Medium Tomatoe - Tomatoe, 86 gram 13
    creamy avocado dressing, 1 serving(s) 18
    total 393
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi ::waves shyly:: I've been lurking and reading from the beginning.

I telecommute and can't justify the cute traveling boxes but I may have just placed an order for a rather alarming amount of silicone liners, fancy cutters, and baran. I've always eaten yummy leftovers for lunch out of tupperware and this thread has inspired me to pretty them up a bit.

I started by digging out a 700ml glass storage container. My first box for our first day of Spring and I made Ehō-maki (恵方巻)
    xacqgdth5n38.jpg
    I said that all fancy like. I'm faking it. I eat uncut rolls all the time and was trying to find out what they are called when I ran across sites about Setsubun (節分 It's rice and egg salad (because, Spring), rolled up diced carrots, broccoli slaw, and Sriracha. Mushroom stuffed with whipped cream cheese, green onion, and dill. All with a side of bell peppers. 458 cal.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi all ! I've been stalking this thread, I already had a bento and bought a brand new one on Mon bento (I'm in France and it was the last day of the sales !)
    So I made my lunches for tomorrow and Tuesday. Same ones except this one with feta, Tuesday's with humus instead. I've got pasta with EVOO basil and parmesan, blanched zucchini and red pepper, salad, cucumber, vinaigrette, one orange and in the little egg mold I have two dry figs for a snack (560 calories). Quite Mediterannean. Oh and my bunny ;)wm12kwthsu6b.jpg
    Yay for bento !

Your bunny is so CUTE! The bento is really nice too.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post this one last week: leftover Chinese (shrimp, veggies, rice) and orange slices:
    elt50y7aucbc.jpg
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    All I do is chop up the eggs, carrots, and apple and throw them in the microwave. Throw everything in a bowl, and I have a nice salad that fills me up in a quick manner. Yogurt is just for insurance. lol

6ucxz90343cg.jpg

ctwsv9ass1rr.jpg

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Today's bento: leftover steak, lima beans, and Jambalaya rice, with more orange slices
    prh8kncl0n0b.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    l2pofo76ar3x.jpg
    Fish,Sandwich Fillets - Whole Fillets, Frozen Van De Kamp's, 1 Fillet 190
    Halo - Clementine, 2 orange 70
    Strawberries, raw, 62 g 20
    Babybel - (Light) Mini Cheese, 1 cheese 50
    Jicama - Jicama, 83 g 32
    Medium Tomatoe - Tomatoe, 86 gram 13
    creamy avocado dressing, 1 serving(s) 18
    total 393

Teehee, the baby bel looks like one of the plants that pops out of the pipes in Mario games XD

I've been sporting a lot of leftovers for my lunches recently, which is why I haven't been posting too many pictures. So today I'm posting an uggo lunch: curry doria leftovers and broccoli:
    838sk5ev5bg8.jpg
    Doria is pretty much a Japanese term for a rice gratin of some kind. This one is minced beef with celery, garlic and onion, curry powder, tonkatsu sauce and vegetable stock placed over a bed of cooked rice, sprinkled with romano cheese and panko, then put in the oven to brown.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi ::waves shyly:: I've been lurking and reading from the beginning.

I telecommute and can't justify the cute traveling boxes but I may have just placed an order for a rather alarming amount of silicone liners, fancy cutters, and baran. I've always eaten yummy leftovers for lunch out of tupperware and this thread has inspired me to pretty them up a bit.

I started by digging out a 700ml glass storage container. My first box for our first day of Spring and I made Ehō-maki (恵方巻)
    xacqgdth5n38.jpg
    I said that all fancy like. I'm faking it. I eat uncut rolls all the time and was trying to find out what they are called when I ran across sites about Setsubun (節分 It's rice and egg salad (because, Spring), rolled up diced carrots, broccoli slaw, and Sriracha. Mushroom stuffed with whipped cream cheese, green onion, and dill. All with a side of bell peppers. 458 cal.

your rolls are inspiring!
  • Ginny218
    Options
    babybel suppose to be lady bug couldn't figure out how to put black eyes on the triangle part
  • Ginny218
    Options
    uploaded other picture by accident sorry
  • mangrothian
    Options
    babybel suppose to be lady bug couldn't figure out how to put black eyes on the triangle part

Black sesame seeds for the eyes, and a pen for the antennae since they're on the wax part I'm guessing. They may have bought a food safe pen as well, which you can buy from decorating stores.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I use black sesame seeds for eyes, they just kind of stick on with a little pressure.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    [eatingwell.com/recipes/thai_chicken_stir_fry_basil_cashews.html - this is a great meal - i added jicama and eggplant - just little bed of rice