Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Cheese lovers unite! Seriously, if I didn't have cheese I don't know what I would do with myself. Seriously- I have three types of cheddar in my fridge. Three! And that's just cheddar.

Writing that makes me think I may need an intervention.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Cheese lovers unite! Seriously, if I didn't have cheese I don't know what I would do with myself. Seriously- I have three types of cheddar in my fridge. Three! And that's just cheddar.

Writing that makes me think I may need an intervention.

A cheeseervention? I'm in.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Did it taste awesome? Did you enjoy every second? If so, then it's worth it. I just would suggest it doesn't go in your bento daily ;)
    I did! But it just goes to show I shouldn't have it in the house! Or I should get tiny portions at a time. Man, if they did Stilton babybel...

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    I did! But it just goes to show I shouldn't have it in the house! Or I should get tiny portions at a time. Man, if they did Stilton babybel...

Shhhhhhhh! They'll hear you! >_>
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered baby brie. I'm in heaven!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    pwnv2i0n2n8w.jpg
    Heart-shaped strawberries make for a Valentine's week bento? I'm going with yes.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    You know, I'd forgotten about Valentine's day. You'd think I would have noticed all the advertisements for it, but no... Maybe I should make my husband a lovey dovey Bento.
    nbdpwkeo4lri.jpg

I don't really have that much patience to be honest. Heart shaped strawberries work though.

@CupcakeCrusoe How do you find the ramen noodles last in the Bento? Do they dry out, or are they in good condition at lunchtime?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    You know, I'd forgotten about Valentine's day. You'd think I would have noticed all the advertisements for it, but no... Maybe I should make my husband a lovey dovey Bento.

I don't really have that much patience to be honest. Heart shaped strawberries work though.

@CupcakeCrusoe How do you find the ramen noodles last in the Bento? Do they dry out, or are they in good condition at lunchtime?

No idea, this'll be my first time trying. I'll let you know!

That heart bento is super cute! But I totally wouldn't have the patience either.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I did a sesame soba noodle salad, and some ramen, and mine didn't dry out. With the ramen, I tossed it with a tiny bit of peanut oil to keep it from sticking together, and it was fine. By the time dinner rolled around, I just poured some hot water for the miso broth, added the cold noodles and some cut veggies and cooked pork, and had a pretty awesome meal.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Hey. Been creeping this thread looking for ideas as I prepare to start packing lunch. While I do envy all the pretty bento boxes I have a less appealing to the eye set up

41JmTVi3TsL._AA300_PIbundle-1,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20.jpg

But I'm hoping you'll accept me and my less pretty box all the same. ;)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Welcome! I have a few plain plastic divided containers in addition to my actual bentos. They work just as well as the fancy ones.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Welcome dear lurker! :)

The only reason I ended up with a collection of cutesie bento boxes was because a well timed (or ill timed if you speak to my DH), trip to a Daiso store. Before that, this was my luncbox:
    h1xotf7qp0ms.jpg
    This box in the end was just too big for most of my lunches, so the cutsie 500ml ones became my standard.

You can always fill it with pretty-cut vegetables anyway ;)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Today's bento: onigiri, shrimp, a bear-shaped boiled egg, and veggies with hummus
    j553g9sv515x.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I wish they had owl egg moulds. All I can find is an owl mould for fried eggs :(
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Hey. Been creeping this thread looking for ideas as I prepare to start packing lunch. While I do envy all the pretty bento boxes I have a less appealing to the eye set up

But I'm hoping you'll accept me and my less pretty box all the same. ;)

All are welcome!
    I wish they had owl egg moulds. All I can find is an owl mould for fried eggs :(

Ooh owls would be so cute! To the googles!

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didn't find any owls, and I may or may not now be the owner of a hello kitty egg mold :blush:
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Okay, I didn't find any owls, and I may or may not now be the owner of a hello kitty egg mold :blush:

*sniggers behind her hand*

(secretly I want one)
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

7x043zkcku4n.jpg

My first offering! Rice, diced chicken thighs, boiled eggs, veggies, and pepperoni, cheese, and crackers. Will fill another container with siracha. Not very pretty but we're a bit past when we usually shop for the month. *glances at calendar* Just a bit

Tomorrow should be more worthy of this thread! In the meantime I'm going back through the pages to steal...borrow ideas.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Looks yum to me. Except for the cheese and crackers, yours isn't too far from what the lunch part of my Bento box looks like when I'm having chicken (I say lunch part since mine includes breakfast as well as my snacks).

• MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies to my earlier post, way back when.

I did microwave only the top tier of the Bentgo box, without the lid, and then only for about 30 seconds. Still, the top lid did not fit tight after this first use :-(

And, the other day, as I was taking the box out of my lunch bag, the strap slipped off (how does that even happen?) and the contents of the whole box dropped all over the table, floor, and my co-worker!! It was funny and sad at the same time - I was really hungry!! Luckily, there was only dry stuff in there, so he didn't get too angry :-)

But, I've researched and lurked and shopped, and finally bought a Montbento (sp?) square box to replace the Bentgo. We'll see what happens!!