Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mangrothian, your bento collection is amazing and I'm jealous!

I haven't made a lunch since my last post, but I did put together a little snack bento for an under 2 hour car trip tomorrow! >.> I love goldfish crackers, and do not judge me for taking up one whole box with them as I will be sharing this small amount of food with my hubby in the car. XD

Goldfish crackers, strawberries, cucumber, and grapes. 224 calories total (140 cal. crackers, 84 for the fruit/veggie)
    fwjaw7wi0m2j.jpg
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That bento collection is amazing! So jealous.

sb4pg2phsdzc.jpg

Lunch! Ramen noodles, sriracha soy chicken (I just trow stuff at stuff and pray) and mixed veggies tossed with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, splenda, and vinegar. Just shy of 400 calories. Then grapes, boiled egg, and pepperoni for snacking.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    That be to collection is amazing! So jealous.

sb4pg2phsdzc.jpg

Lunch! Ramen noodles, sriracha soy chicken (I just trow stuff at stuff and pray) and mixed veggies tossed with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, splenda, and vinegar. Just shy of 400 calories. Then grapes, boiled egg, and pepperoni for snacking.

That ramen dish looks fantastic!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If anyones significant other is worried about that one extra Bento box, refer them to this:
    91bdufadsr7h.jpg

"Don't worry dear, I'll never turn out like the MFP crazy bento lady!"

I think this is about 85% of my collection (some stuff was in use/dirty/borrowed), and doesn't include my Bento-applicable collection of normal gladware style containers.

I'm sure some people have more, but I thought it would be a good reference :p

My marriage is saved! Thank you, "crazy bento lady!"

PS You. Are. My. Hero.

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Malyndiajc wrote: »
    Shaped eggs? tell me more

Long time stalker first time commenter :wink:

Look up "egg molds" on amazon... there are so many nifty shapes

I'm starting to get this feeling that we have quite a few people stalking this thread, lurking in the darkness.
    9aonqmyng6xl.jpg
    I'm starting to get scared....

But isn't this a good thing for our plans of world bento domination?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @LizN63 Did you say.... owls?

These are the cups and bowl I have at work. The bowl holds my yoghurt (or miso soup in Winter), and the others, well, what ever I can put in them, I drink from them. Funnily enough, I haven't bought myself an owl bento box yet. I should get on to that.

5v3555azdvyq.jpg

I have that blue/gray owl cup with tea pot. My sister got it for me for my birthday!

New at Bento, just using glad ware for now.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @LizN63 Did you say.... owls?

:oB) (*)
    I am also wanting this from Amazon: 51gcVYGULwL.jpg
    but money is tight this month and I've already had so much other stuff... must.. not... click...
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    OMG I walk away for one minute and the thread explodes! Welcome to all newcomers, welcome to the dark side that is bento obsession >:)

@sarieth05 I'd say husband is on his own, I'm not going to share my goldfish crackers!

@mangrothian you scared my husband! He said there's more??? He hates cleaning all my tiny bento stuff as it is <3
  • Malyndiajc
    Malyndiajc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I promise I am not shifty... just didn't really have much to add until I noticed one comment I could actually be helpful and address. I am a fan of bento lunches, always have been, but don't really pack lunches for work (because I don't have a lunch time to enjoy them) so I don't have any nifty pictures to add :neutral_face:
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No lunches this week to attempt to make :( But I am buying some boxes and other stuff, so that is happiness. I think when we go out to eat I might start packing my own bento box, since I have issues eating out (dairy). I did it the other day for just some side dishes and it worked well.

mangrothian: Your collection is awesome!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @Malyndiajc That's okay, we love all commenters, lurkers, shifty and shiftless! Some on here are new to bento (like me) and others like @mangrothian are superstars B) .
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »
    Daiako wrote: »
    That be to collection is amazing! So jealous.

sb4pg2phsdzc.jpg

That ramen dish looks fantastic!

It turned out pretty well, a bit spicey than intended (I suppose I went a bit overboard because I know flavors can get muted when food is cool) but still tasty.
  • liekewheeless
    Options
    lqufymhypoxp.jpg

Made this for my daughter, then made me one too. For lunch tomorrow.

There are 2 banana pancakes, 2 strawberries, 3 thin slices of honey ham, and 4 mini soda cup cakes for roughly 300 calories (rounding up)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

I'm starting to get this feeling that we have quite a few people stalking this thread, lurking in the darkness.
    9aonqmyng6xl.jpg

I admit, I am a lurker. I LOVE looking at all your ideas. I show my husband everyday the new ideas on here and I tell him every time I want to need these! I am a SAHM who homeschools 2 teenagers. My lunch is here at home so I dont need them but man I never wanted to work outside the house as much as I do after looking at this. I want to have lunch in an office, any office will do, so I can say "honey I need bento boxes for my lunches'.

Thx for showing us your most creative ideas. They look WONDERFUL!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

9aonqmyng6xl.jpg

I admit, I am a lurker. I LOVE looking at all your ideas. I show my husband everyday the new ideas on here and I tell him every time I want to need these! I am a SAHM who homeschools 2 teenagers. My lunch is here at home so I dont need them but man I never wanted to work outside the house as much as I do after looking at this. I want to have lunch in an office, any office will do, so I can say "honey I need bento boxes for my lunches'.

Thx for showing us your most creative ideas. They look WONDERFUL!

Why thank you! ^_^

You know, even when I'm home on weekends or on leave, I still make my Bentos (last time I even made post gym-workout mini ones to have after I'd finished my workouts).

The other option is to just get a picnic sized triple layer Bento. It gives you the reason to go eat somewhere outside (if it's not freezing that is) and have a bento lunch to share with the family :)
    lqufymhypoxp.jpg

Made this for my daughter, then made me one too. For lunch tomorrow.

There are 2 banana pancakes, 2 strawberries, 3 thin slices of honey ham, and 4 mini soda cup cakes for roughly 300 calories (rounding up)

So cute! Especially with valentines day coming up. Although I am hoping you've somehow secretly got some vegetables into those soda cakes.... (you don't have to mind me; I'm just a vegetable fanatic).
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @liekewheeless Oh my, how adorable!

Here's tomorrow's lunch & snack bentos. The lunch bento is a bit larger than normal since I take all afternoon to eat it :smile:

Bottom tier, jasmine rice, sugar snap peas & edamame, top tier stir fried shrimp, mini peppers and seaweed pops (the cracker lookin' things). The snack boxes are melba toast & laughing cow wedges, a kiwi and a star shaped egg.

6qub8vj0dwo8.jpg

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That looks wonderful! I am having a soup 'bento' today so no photo as it's very dull.

I really want to bring edamame in my bentos as I love them but I can't find them in any supermarkets!

@SpecialKitty7 what's in the little pot?
  • liekewheeless
    edited February 2015
    Options
    [/quote]So cute! Especially with valentines day coming up. Although I am hoping you've somehow secretly got some vegetables into those soda cakes.... (you don't have to mind me; I'm just a vegetable fanatic).[/quote]

Oops, forgot the veggies today. It is fruit heavy with the pancakes being basically egg and banana. I usually do include some veggies.

Haven't totally figured the partial quote out yet.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @LizN63 its a tablespoon of Kraft fat free italian dressing for dipping the peppers in. Lately I've had a hard time finding my favorite brand of frozen edamame (Tasty Joy) and I found one yucky one (PictSweet) so I've been making do with the only other one I could find (Wel Pac). Seems lately I can't find edamame anywhere :\
  • liekewheeless
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 Like the star egg, I'm going to have to find one of those molds.