Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Looks yum! You know, I think I've only ever eaten one bagel, and that would have been about 10 years ago? Maybe the ones over here just aren't that great, because I just didn't see why they were better than regular ol' bread slices....

zd6dgs01ftzc.jpg

Today's lunch: Asian Salad with mushroom&garlic pearl/lebanese couscous and prawns with chilli powder, totalling 500cals. The top tray has some skinless frankfurters that I failed to make look like fish :( and some mango. I'm trying a yoghurt that was recommended to me, but I usually don't like flavoured yoghurts, so we'll see how it goes. Everything totals 835cal.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That Asian salad looks amazing. Ugh. Yum! Also bagels are just more dense (or at least the ones I buy). I think I just like them because of my unhealthy laughing cow addiction. Maybe I'll just start eating plain laughing cow wedges and just cut out the middle man. *sigh*

Also I have a little cookbook that I bought at an anime convention that has some recipes for bentos and whatnot in it. Your little fishies reminded me that I even owned it, so thanks. =D (It reminded me of the little sausage octopus, but the egg chickens are equally adorable)

dyhh24xvkh6k.jpg
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always think of bagels as pre-chewed bread... Like someone spat it out and squished it into a shape. I was a strange child.

The chicks are adorable! What are the faces made of?
  • sarieth05
    Options
    satansees wrote: »
    I always think of bagels as pre-chewed bread... Like someone spat it out and squished it into a shape. I was a strange child.

Well, thanks for ruining bagels for me! :p

The faces are black sesame seeds and a little bit of carrot. :)

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »
    That Asian salad looks amazing. Ugh. Yum! Also bagels are just more dense (or at least the ones I buy). I think I just like them because of my unhealthy laughing cow addiction. Maybe I'll just start eating plain laughing cow wedges and just cut out the middle man. *sigh*

Also I have a little cookbook that I bought at an anime convention that has some recipes for bentos and whatnot in it. Your little fishies reminded me that I even owned it, so thanks. =D (It reminded me of the little sausage octopus, but the egg chickens are equally adorable)

dyhh24xvkh6k.jpg
    Oh I make the hot dog octopi pretty much any time my daughters want hot dogs. I've found its much eaiser to use scissors than a knife to cut them.

No bentos this week. My daughters school is on winter break.Here's a hot dog octopus bento from last week.8t8orskep8gz.jpg
    There are the hot dogs, pretzels and pears and my 1st grader helped by cutting out the cheese.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I made a lunch bento and a snack bento. I actually don't like a lot of variety in my day, so I like putting the same things in all of the boxes. :p

I do the same thing. I've always wondered how half a bagel is one serving, or how you're supposed to eat half a banana. What are you supposed to do with the other half?

I've never minded eating the same thing routinely, it just makes life easier (and less rotten food to throw away).

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    No bento for me today b/c busy weekend V.V And I may not have bentos this week b/c I'm planning to make either gumbo or chicken and dumplings tonight, and I usually have enough leftovers for about a week after making either one. (Soup dishes = no bento) But maybe I'll pack a couple snack bentos :)
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Heh looks yum. Never quite understood what a snicker doodle is, but I'm sure it's delicious.

And in response to your nerdyness, I never watched the live action Skip Beat, just the anime and the manga. I really wish I had little Kyoko-chan demons to fling at people sometimes though.

The live action was pretty funny and interesting. If you can get a hold of it, it is a great addition to the series. Kyoko's demons is just to awesome in any form!

A snicker doodle is pretty much a sugar cookie with a cinnamon/sugar coating. So this cupcake is a cinnamon sugar cupcake really. I have these, pumpkin, and a chocolate cupcake/muffin in the freezer for my daily treat, which I share with everyone in the house.

I will be sharing my husband's lunches this week and if anyone wants the calorie count I can figure those out as well. Right now, I am just trying to get the guy a balance meal for lunch so he can function through out the day.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    I am definitely a stalker to this thread. I love taking the children on picnics in the summer and there are some amazing ideas on here, so I will continue to stalk even if I dont comment, I will be here..... watching :P :D
  • satansees
    Options
    satansees wrote: »

Well, thanks for ruining bagels for me! :p

The faces are black sesame seeds and a little bit of carrot. :)
    I have sesame seeds and carrots! yay!

My silicone baran is waiting for me at the post office too. A good day!

• satansees
    Options
    5sod77lmsaf4.jpg
    I'm a bit tired for sesame seeds!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @satansees those are adorable. The little guy in the upper right looks like he's giving a cheeky little wink!

For all, I rinsed my soba like I'm supposed to, and I don't want to say they are sticking together, because they really aren't, but a forkful doesn't slide out a few noodles from the others very well (I'm totally botching explaining this). Am I supposed to have done another step, like oil them up or something? I don't want them greasy, but it would be nice to be a bit less messy.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I usually find with soba noodles, after rinsing them having a dressing that has a couple of drops of chilli or sesame oil stops a bit of the stickiness. It could also be caused from them drying out a bit.

When I do my soba noodles, I usually toss them in 1 tspn of mirin/cooking sake, about 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil (under 1/4 tspn), and some minced ginger and dried corriander. Toss it in a separate bowl, then transfer the noodles to the bento. They're usually still fine the next day.
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love this idea and I even have it on Pinterest for more ideas. :) Thanks for posting!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I usually find with soba noodles, after rinsing them having a dressing that has a couple of drops of chilli or sesame oil stops a bit of the stickiness. It could also be caused from them drying out a bit.

When I do my soba noodles, I usually toss them in 1 tspn of mirin/cooking sake, about 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil (under 1/4 tspn), and some minced ginger and dried corriander. Toss it in a separate bowl, then transfer the noodles to the bento. They're usually still fine the next day.

This might be my problem. I've been leaving them naked. Since I lowered the amount of oil I use for the sauteed veggies, the bento was much more dry than usual. I'll give that a go, I have one more round of soba to go.

• HanamiDango
    Options
    Tomorrow's lunch:
    Bottom is leftover chicken edamame fried rice and the top is a snack of salt & pepper chips with beef jerky. Today's lunch he said was good just gave him too much, so this one is less. Still getting the hang of this.
    3f94b8be0696f9a346fcb9df14e1a844.png
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Here's tomorrow's bento. The same snack bento as usual (the pink), lunch is pork & vegetable dumplings, basmati rice, edamame and sugar snap peas. On a side note, husband finally asked me to make him a bento!

lxnlvsy8a0jg.jpg
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 Woot woot for husband wanting a bento!

• sarieth05
    Options
    @satansees - those chicks turned out great! :D Super cute.
  • sarieth05
    Options
    Here's tomorrow's bento. The same snack bento as usual (the pink), lunch is pork & vegetable dumplings, basmati rice, edamame and sugar snap peas. On a side note, husband finally asked me to make him a bento!

lxnlvsy8a0jg.jpg

Those dumplings look amazing! This thread totally makes me crave a whole bunch of stuff. XD