Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 Like the star egg, I'm going to have to find one of those molds.

I bought all my molds on amazon. I have a star, heart, fish, car, bear, bunny, and coming soon, a Hello Kitty one. The bunny works best, and the star and heart work best when I have abnormally large eggs.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    This weekend I am going to the asian market in town to pick up some supplies, my mission is to find an onigiri mold, hard boiled egg mold, a lunch box, and maybe some new bento boxes.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Made a special Valentine's bento for my daughter today. Had planned to pack it in her strawberry box, but sadly some kid accidentally stepped on it and broke the lid at school. :( I'm going to try to glue it back together. We'll see if it works.
    Anyway, she has a sealed jelly sandwich with heart sprinkles, cheddar cheese X's and turkey O's, strawberries, pretzels and 2 dark chocolate hearts.
    o5cfsyr76yf1.jpg
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @kristydi Nice! Like the x en o, hadn't thought of that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    p0m5zhndoej4.jpg
    Not very creative but I wanted to make a heart themed bento for my son's lunch today.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    As I posted the above, I realized I didn't include any protein. Mother of the Year :)
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cutest thread ever < 3
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Made a special Valentine's bento for my daughter today. Had planned to pack it in her strawberry box, but sadly some kid accidentally stepped on it and broke the lid at school. :( I'm going to try to glue it back together. We'll see if it works.
    Anyway, she has a sealed jelly sandwich with heart sprinkles, cheddar cheese X's and turkey O's, strawberries, pretzels and 2 dark chocolate hearts.
    o5cfsyr76yf1.jpg

SOO adorable! Love the cheese & turkey X's/O's.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @kristydi Nice! Like the x en o, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks. They came in a little set with some heart cutters so no major creativity on my part.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @‌BinkyBonk
    I left out the vedgies on my daughters. Got caught up making it look pretty.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do bento for my kids' lunchboxes quite frequently (mine, too, if I'm packing to eat with them). I keep a list on my fridge divided into proteins, fruits, veggies, grains, dips and treats and try to choose from each of them every time. I don't make them cutesy either, but I do have a bento "bunny" face press for our hardboiled eggs, and some cute picks for cheese and fruit. The kids eat SO much healthier when they get their meals this way than if I try to get them to eat an entire piece of fruit or veggie. I also follow a bunch of Bento boards on Pinterest that are always giving new great ideas.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @justcat206 Yeah, I follow some of the Bento pinterest boards, but I try to stick to the Japanese traditional ones, because quite a few of the others turn out to be just full of charaben ideas, or kids bentos (I'm sure my furbabies would love a bento box, but they'd probably try to eat the box too!), which usually don't have ingredients to my style. Obviously, if you're making a bento for your kiddies, that's a different story :)

There used to be a couple of good Bento pools on Flickr, but it kinda died. ETA: I lied, the Bento Flickr pools are going strong. I'm going to delve for new ideas....
    @‌BinkyBonk
    I left out the vedgies on my daughters. Got caught up making it look pretty.

Sounds like you may need to invest in some shaped vegetable cutters. My heart and flower ones get used everyday; they're probably the bento items that I've had the most value for money out of.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    If anyone is in San Francisco I just had a friend who lives there tell me about a store called Asakichi they're meant to have 4 four stores in Japantown, and (at least used to) have a great selection of the more traditional Bento boxes, like the ones made out of bamboo if you like.

It's kinda a little bit far for me to go shopping there ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I'm sad.

I had a chicken and bacon chilli bento all nicely made, and I left it at home. I left it in the fridge instead of putting it in my gym bag :(

e4vxsjl2ixad.gif
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm sad.

I had a chicken and bacon chilli bento all nicely made, and I left it at home. I left it in the fridge instead of putting it in my gym bag :(

Oh no! That sounds super tasty too! At least it's in the fridge, that's better than the counter right?

Here's mine for tomorrow, bottom tier: soba w/ smoked sesame seeds, sugar snap peas & edamame. Top tier, mini peppers, shrimp and pineapple.

b692pau84awi.jpg

• mangrothian
    Options
    So tasty looking....
    tvdyh0j5fdiq.gif
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So tasty looking....
    tvdyh0j5fdiq.gif

I guess this is where "buddy" would come in handy? Ahh sorry pun on the live action Skip Beat. ^_^ However hope you are still able to get something yummy to eat!

Moving along from my nerdy-ness. Tomorrow's lunch for hubby is carrots, beef jerk, salt & pepper chips, and a snicker doodle cupcake on top and botton is a turkey, ham, cheese sandwich on a homemade hamburger bun with more salt & pepper chips.

ti2o9jw1v2a4.jpg
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So tasty looking....
    tvdyh0j5fdiq.gif

I guess this is where "buddy" would come in handy? Ahh sorry pun on the live action Skip Beat. ^_^ However hope you are still able to get something yummy to eat!

Moving along from my nerdy-ness. Tomorrow's lunch for hubby is carrots, beef jerk, salt & pepper chips, and a snicker doodle cupcake on top and botton is a turkey, ham, cheese sandwich on a homemade hamburger bun with more salt & pepper chips.

ti2o9jw1v2a4.jpg

Heh looks yum. Never quite understood what a snicker doodle is, but I'm sure it's delicious.

And in response to your nerdyness, I never watched the live action Skip Beat, just the anime and the manga. I really wish I had little Kyoko-chan demons to fling at people sometimes though.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I made a lunch bento and a snack bento. I actually don't like a lot of variety in my day, so I like putting the same things in all of the boxes. :p

Orange snack bento: half an apple, grapes, half a bagel, laughing cow cheese wedge = 234.6 calories.

Blue lunch bento: half an apple, carrots, grapes, half a bagel, laughing cow cheese wedge, grilled chicken breast over some romaine + half a serving of that yogurt dressing that I'll put on it tomorrow since I don't have any sauce containers. XD = 336.3 calories.

dvs4rq3rvrgy.jpg