Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Teehee, you're welcome. I plan for world domination one lunchbox at a time. I'm sure it's a viable strategy.

The lunch looks yum btw. I don't know how rough you are with your lunchboxes (I know I am), but if you have dressing I suggest a little pot with a lid (similar to this or this, or one small tumble could put ranch over everything (unless that's what you're aiming for ;) )

Just as a sciency note so you don't have to worry, BPA is only found in clear plastics (or the lining of some tins and resins used to seal pipes), so if the Bento box you're looking at is a solid colour, then it's automatically BPA free ^_^.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that is pricey. I'll keep looking around, one of the asian markets likely has it. If not, there's an asian superstore nearby that i can check out.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @asearch4me YAY! Another convert. I think @mangrothian really does plan on a takeover of the world, you gotta watch those Aussies ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @specialkitty7 because we're sooooo well known for our multitudinous invasions ;) .

....Well I guess we are, but it's only when a good sports match or booze festival is on.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian, Oh, I definitely plan to get some cute little bento sauce/condiment containers. I mistakenly assumed when I ordered my box that the little condiment cups we use for spices/hot sauce when we hike/camp would be short enough to fit in the box, but they are just a smidgen too high. I'm waiting for my Amazon list to bulk up a little bit before I order them :smile: (I also have my eye on some super-cute panda rice molds with a nori cutter...lol). I'm a car-commuter, so my lunchbox doesn't take huge jolts or get tossed about, so the cupcake holders should work for 2t of ranch for now.

It's only my 2nd day bento'ing (& still rocking randomness from the fridge for now), but I really like packing & arranging it each night. It's oddly relaxing..? It is way more satisfying than packing things in multiple, heavy glass containers each night...

Also, thank you for posting the Japanese rice cooking link a few posts back. I think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong (not rinsing nearly enough).

( @specialkitty7 Yes, I know :smiley: . I think my parents even warned me about Aussies growing up... :smiley: )

• chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is my first reply on this thread, but I've been stalking like crazy! I think you can consider me a convert as well- I'm ready to try! This thread inspired me to think a bit more "outside the box" when planning my lunches for work. I appreciate all of the pictures and advice on this thread!!!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Lunch for today. Pseudo-similar to yesterday. Turkey, Colby cheese stick, raw pumpkin seeds, snow peas, carrot chips, ranch, & raspberries. (327 calories, 18g carb, 6g fiber, 22g protein, 21g fat)

tj5gy0uwkk3h.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I was too hungry today to (remember to) get a picture of my lunch prior to digging in, but today was quite pretty. White dumplings, red pepper strips, a pink container for my dressing, and blueberries in the top, and brown rice with green sugar snap peas in the bottom. My rice is a bit crunchy, so definitely need to cook it longer tomorrow :D

@asearch4Me your lunch looks awesome, I love how the snow peas are lined up like crackers!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    chesves wrote: »
    I think you can consider me a convert as well- I'm ready to try!

Yay! It really is a lot of fun, and I simply like trying new foods. It makes lunch pretty and more satisfying, and it has the added benefit of making my husband crazy. He thinks I'm already a bit too attached to my kitchen scale.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I use bentos for my son's lunches but you've inspired me to get more creative, as well as make one for myself. Here are my attempts. The cute whale bento is mine, because why should my son have all the fun? :)
    fwireobwnndj.jpg
    sc9seunwjx38.jpg
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just placed my first Bento order! :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @BinkyBonk‌ love the onigiri rabbit!

Be careful, this is how it starts! I ordered one, now today I have three more coming :)
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Awesome, what did you get?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Yay! More converts! Be thankful you don't have a store that actually sells the boxes near you. If it wasn't for the fact that nearly every Bento item I've bought costs $2.80, I'd be broke.

@chesves pics/links or it never happened! ;)

I'll probably be almost bentoless for the next week :( . I'm on leave from work to go help out my parents whilst my dad has shoulder surgery. My mum is diabetic and lost her toe before Christmas (seeing my mum's stumpy foot is a good reminder to keep healthy, I tell you that!), so she's not exactly mobile enough to help him. It's kinda sad when you're going to miss being at work because of the habit/calming nature of making my Bento each night.

Although I'll probably commandeer their kitchen to make a Bento to take into the hospital for mum and I. I can put up with hospital cafeteria coffee, but not hospital cafeteria food.

I'll see what I can raid from their fridge for a Bento. I'll probably have to bring my own rice though.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do! Though lately they've been looking a little sad. I've been more into big sushi (making a few days worth at a time), but it's the same sort of thing. Pretty colours, lots of layers.
    I've become the kind of person who cuts their cucumbers into flowers.... It is a bit addictive, especially when you get into cute (practical) dressing pots and silicone grass and stuff.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I haven't bento'd for over a year, and not regularly since college, but this thread has inspired me to dig out my box of bento boxes. (Yes, it's been so long, they're in a box at the bottom of a cabinet) V////V

I would often put a side salad in one section and mix up the other 1-2 sections with stuff like rice, fish/chicken, eggs (yes, I have cute molds), homemade sushi rolls, etc. I've already noticed that I've been putting more variety in my lunches lately, as I'm eating gluten-free to test for sensitivity, and using one of my bentos would just mean that I won't have it all tossed into one container. And what do you know, I made rice last night and had leftovers :) It's fate (and world domination)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I'm all for world domination!
    ytks1mmdtw1o.jpeg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Today's box. Pork, veggie & mushroom dumplings, carrots, italian dressing, blueberries, Vigo white and wild rice mix and snap peas. Total cals 436, C/F/P 78/9/14. My diary is public to anyone, so you can look to see the actual breakdown. Didn't mean to make it so low fat, it just kinda happened.

70cydjuoa7fk.jpg
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    jy6inip5l0xn.jpg
    Some rice under the chicken.