Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me try to share the links of what I ordered .... I tried to copy and paste a pic, but it wouldn't work :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U6DA8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANHS6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U6DAI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our local Dollar Tree had some cute containers I bought the other day as well. I'm not sure how leak proof they are, but bought them b/c the price couldn't be beat. :)
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'd love any (and all advice) on what to START with! I already have 4 of those "easy lunch box" containers, but rarely use them. I'm so excited to start!

http://www.amazon.com/EasyLunchboxes-3-Compartment-Bento-Containers-Classic/dp/B004S129AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421851982&sr=8-1&keywords=easy+lunch

I've been packing my lunches in ziploc baggies- so UNattractive! I can see how this would be stress-reducing. It's like taking an active role in ensuring my meals are attractive and healthy!

I'm going to pack mine (hopefully) to be right around 400 calories. I eat around 100 for breakfast, and 2 snacks at 100 each. Then I have a larger amount of calories for dinner. That's roughly how I try to allot my calories anyway .....
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Very cute. I had a small container of fruit for snack yesterday and it was so satisfying to eat the whole container. It definitely cut down on cravings for more. I think I will try to incorporate more small containers in my menu planning.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My Bento of the day:

Still using random fridge contents this week... Leftover cheese frittata (mostly made with egg whites), raspberries, pecans, snow peas, carrot chips, and a lonely lil dark chocolate truffle as a special treat for what is sure to be a more-stressful-than-usual work day. :) Cal:291, Carb:21g, Fiber: 5g, Pro: 20g, Fat: 14g

8svmtik9ks48.jpg

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    chesves wrote: »
    I'd love any (and all advice) on what to START with! I already have 4 of those "easy lunch box" containers, but rarely use them. I'm so excited to start!

This website is a good place to start http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    chesves wrote: »

the just bento website is awesome, she also wrote a book that i borrowed from the library, and it's pretty good idea wise. I'd just start with random things that fit in your boxes. @asearch4me has had some pretty good looking bentos using what she found in the fridge.

• thomasina_
    thomasina_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    v12yiebfuzvr.jpg
  • thomasina_
    thomasina_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Deal is back on groupon for bentgo lunch set $20
  • aSearch4Me
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @thomasina_ !! I got my Bentgo from Amazon & love it. I'd like to pick up a 2nd one (to limit HAVING to wash mine each night when I'm crunched for time). Off to Groupon I go... That site is addictive.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take a photo before I started eating, but this is my bento for post workout today. I commandeered my parents kitchen because I don't want to be tempted to eat out after gym just because I'm far from home. Just because you're not home doesn't mean you can't make a bento!

npaw15f1crm1.jpg

40l box
    - 2 onigiri, each with a pickled plum in the centre
    - Japanese pickles
    - Red wine vinegar sweet and sour chicken
    - Blanched veg
    - Baby bel cheese
    - Biiiiig bottle of water since its 33C today
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I make my 4 year old DD bento box lunches for preschool. She loves them!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Made 2 bentos (same stuff) for tomorrow & Friday!
    enqz1mstgarb.jpg
    Brown rice, mixed veggies, and tilapia (baked with salt, pepper, & lemon juice) in the large tier; a pickle spear & mushrooms in the small tier. I don't have any silicon cup holders (Amazon Prime will fix that in 2 days!) but I used a paper cupcake holder to try to keep the pickle from getting the mushrooms soggy.

I need to shop for some good bento fruits & veggies, plus I'm gluten-free right now - and my husband ate our last apple, grrr - so it's not ideal but pretty good :3
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    1 - awesome looking bento
    2 - is that a tardis cookie jar? if it is, OMG that's awesome!
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    oh wow I hadn't seen this thread before!
    I don't have the time to prepare a bento every day, but I often do.
    Here a couple recent ones

mbms6nc6h117.jpg

pxcdo4nrvozo.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @PixieGoddess If that's a tardis cookie jar, I'm secretly hoping that the Dalek is a salt canister or something.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Easiest way i've been able to make tamagoyaki (i dont have a square pan)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclhzwuvxNw

I haven't seen anyone with one of these in there yet. I am loving all these bentos. Check out the other recipes from Eugenie kitchen too! She has some amazing sweets recipes.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    z1k3dbx9g8yw.jpg
    My first attempt at bento. Can't wait for tomorrow night!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @kramrn77 that bento looks awesome!
    @mangrothian I thought the dalek was a salt cannister too!
  • aSearch4Me
    Options
    @kramrn77 & @ElliInJapan , your meals look great!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    These bento all look great.

Does anyone else find that their bento are more satisfying meals than say, a sandwich of equal calorie count? I do, and I think in part it's due to the wider variety of tastes and the fact it LOOKS so special.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?