Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tamagoyaki advice! And @mangrothian you crack me up!

mkepngo96aae.jpg

This bento ended up under 400 calories, which kind of surprises me: white rice with peas and asparagus, coconut curry chicken from Trader Joe's (it's my new favorite item from TJ's aside from the green tea mochi), carrots, plum.

I forgot to include cherries!!! Uggggghhhhhh
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Thanks for the tamagoyaki advice! And @mangrothian you crack me up!

mkepngo96aae.jpg

This bento ended up under 400 calories, which kind of surprises me: white rice with peas and asparagus, coconut curry chicken from Trader Joe's (it's my new favorite item from TJ's aside from the green tea mochi), carrots, plum.

I forgot to include cherries!!! Uggggghhhhhh

Oh no! Not the cherries! ;)

No box for me today as we have the work picnic I've been planning forever. At least those bags and bags of marshmallows with be exiting the office :)

Happy Friday!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No box for hubby today. I am protesting his working but he will be coming home on lunch, so I guess I will throw something together for him >.< Thinking chili, cheese, and fritos. I am a lazy wife, well that and he does not care for the cute things I make, nor do the kids, soooooo depressing!

Now I want cherries too for some odd reason. Also, Trader Joes, need to make another trip, with a cooler. Coconut Chicken Curry is on the list. So much I wanna try.
    munkeyfunk wrote: »
    Hnnnnghhh

Was that your manly squee in response to how awesome our lunches are? If so, squee away. XD

That is just great!!!!
  • hmolyn
    hmolyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on "staycation" today (vacation where you stay at home because you need to use up vacation days but are too broke to go anywhere, lol), heading to the pool for lap swim before hubby and kid get home so I packed a Bento supper for the boys to make it easy for hubby to get supper on the table. What I ate for lunch was a modified version of my son's (the one pictured with the owl pick) with salmon, fiddleheads (and a bit of butter), and 1/4 cup Annie's pasta. It clocks in at under 500 calories. Would be good for a workday lunch too I imagine!
    k49zeddz9s6s.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    hmolyn wrote: »
    I'm on "staycation" today (vacation where you stay at home because you need to use up vacation days but are too broke to go anywhere, lol), heading to the pool for lap swim before hubby and kid get home so I packed a Bento supper for the boys to make it easy for hubby to get supper on the table. What I ate for lunch was a modified version of my son's (the one pictured with the owl pick) with salmon, fiddleheads (and a bit of butter), and 1/4 cup Annie's pasta. It clocks in at under 500 calories. Would be good for a workday lunch too I imagine!
    k49zeddz9s6s.jpg

Epic first post! Your lunch/dinner looks awesome :smile:
  • Narcissora
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    ridunox7jiho.jpg

Sweet and Spicey Prawns with Rice and Zuccini, Bell Pepper, Mushroom ;)

I'm not actually trying to be a creepy stalker, but I search tumblr for bento ideas, and I totally came across this one today >.<

And yay for sharing bento love with the blogging world!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @LadyAhiru if you don't mind me asking, what did you cook your veggies in? The sauce looks tasty!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Routine routine! I love knowing I'm getting back into my routine this week!

Monday's bento is chicken marinated in soy and yuzu pepper paste, rice (only seasoned with salt), umeboshi and vegetables. You can't see them in the picture, but I cooked purple carrots with my veg. The undersides of some of the veg went bright violet >.<

Total cals: 575 There's a higher amount of rice and meat then I normally have, which upped the Cals.
    dw6kpfr7daq2.jpg
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Forgot to take a pic today :/ but today's lunch was tonkatsu, rice, mixed veggies and strawberries, yummy!
  • Narcissora
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am SO on top of it today! Since today is a holiday for us folks in the U.S., I prepared tomorrow's bento lunch way in advance :)

7esnfewt4ep2.jpg

Leftover pad kee mao with chicken, plum, strawberries, mozzarella. Now I just have to keep myself from eating it today...
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I am SO on top of it today! Since today is a holiday for us folks in the U.S., I prepared tomorrow's bento lunch way in advance :)

7esnfewt4ep2.jpg

Leftover pad kee mao with chicken, plum, strawberries, mozzarella. Now I just have to keep myself from eating it today...

Yummers. I'd have trouble stopping myself to methinks.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Built up some of my bento freezer stash today! Here are my bento (on the right) and DH's bento (on the left). We both have a salad, his with salad dressing and a peanut butter cup, mine with gorgonzola cheese. My main tier is rice, sesame seeds, shrimp and edamame. His is rice, sesame seeds, chicken with kung pao sauce, and broccoli. There is soy sauce in the pot. I also made my week of hard boiled eggs. My star came out a bit wonky, and my bear has no ears, but i think they came out pretty good!

lzfji0voysl0.jpg
    xau3o0bvnrwn.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    xau3o0bvnrwn.jpg

Because that picture's not a blatant advert for Makiko Itoh at all ^_^

I had a sort-of half bento today. I used a smaller multitier box for my brekky, and made some hello kitty pasta for lunch. I had some salad stuff in the fridge at work, so the rest of my lunch was rocket, spinach, boccocini, smoked salmon and tomatoes.

1wi1hjessum6.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    xau3o0bvnrwn.jpg

Because that picture's not a blatant advert for Makiko Itoh at all ^_^

What's funny is I didn't want to clean off my counter for the picture, so I put it on top of the book! I didn't even think about it until later :blush:

• sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cduymzj69l2u.jpg
    Today's Box:

Layer one: shrimp with shrimp sauce, cherries, Romano cheese, and blanched broccoli with some smoked gouda alfredo

Layer two: Lemon caper coleslaw and two tomatoes with a little wood smoked salt (found it in the cabinet yesterday :) )
  • sagj
    Options
    I couldn't eat it all! I still have half of the coleslaw and a tomato. I think this box is too big (even when I stuff it with mainly veggies). Who worried that bentos don't hold very much? That they would leave ya hungry? Oh yes, me ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    I couldn't eat it all! I still have half of the coleslaw and a tomato. I think this box is too big (even when I stuff it with mainly veggies). Who worried that bentos don't hold very much? That they would leave ya hungry? Oh yes, me ;)
    I think everyone worries about that, and it probably is an issue at first, simply because it takes practice to figure out how to pack the boxes properly. My first few bento boxes were super tiny. I went hungry at lunch for a few weeks until my packing skills leveled up ☺
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    I think everyone worries about that, and it probably is an issue at first, simply because it takes practice to figure out how to pack the boxes properly. My first few bento boxes were super tiny. I went hungry at lunch for a few weeks until my packing skills leveled up ☺

Either that or you start to shrink your stomach :p

Today's lunch is yakitori, rice, lettuce, tomato and avocado. There is also a sad looking bit of tamagoyaki under the chicken :(

9m31pt55uaqi.jpg
  • shlygraham
    shlygraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    I love my bento style lunchbox. Mine is from Laptop Lunches. I don't use it as much as I used to because I generally just take a huge container of salad for lunch every day. I would generally fill the larger size one with leftovers or a hummus or black bean wrap, then the smaller ones with fruit, veggies, olives, etc.

If I worked outside of the home I would absolutely love one of the laptop lunches boxes.
  • linstapler
    linstapler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the thread starter and everyone who shares their lovely bentos. Gives me ideas for my own lunches. I am using laptoplunch bentos and I instagram my simple lunches for own reference (https://instagram.com/minah_stapler/)

Cheers ==