Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Omg, I looooove Bento & Co! S'where I got a lot of my cute lil decoration stuffs, furikake, etc. They had free shipping at the time, muahaha.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    LilSweet wrote:
    I'm curious if any of you guys have a sturdy carrier for your stuff? I just got brave and
    got a bike and I'm trying to figure out how to rig it so I could get my lunch to work in
    reasonable shape. Maybe an insulated carrier.
    I made several cotton calico (lightweight) drawstring bags in various sizes & prints, so
    depending on which box(es) I'm using I pull different bags. That's for when I can put lunch
    into the fridge, or it doesn't need to stay cool.
    Most of them also have matching sleeves for holding silverware, either plain fabric or (mostly)
    lined with plastic (tablecloth). Not that I'm going overboard or anything... :grin:

I also have 2 what I'd call lunch bags, which are insulated (the thin fleece stuff that has metal in
    between the layers
    ) & big enough for most of my boxes, even several of the smaller ones
    together, plus more. They're substantial.
    Made those too. Tops are zippered, so nothing will fall out.
    That's for when I don't have access to a fridge, and I'll throw in a frozen water bottle or ice pack.

A suggestion for the bike... get a nice large wire basket (mine is on the rear wheel carrier), get
    a bungee cord with hooks on the end, and make a V over the basket to make it less likely your
    things will bounce out. A longer cord can do a V, plus run across side to side.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    LilSweet wrote:
    I'm curious if any of you guys have a sturdy carrier for your stuff? I just got brave and
    got a bike and I'm trying to figure out how to rig it so I could get my lunch to work in
    reasonable shape. Maybe an insulated carrier.
    I made several cotton calico (lightweight) drawstring bags in various sizes & prints, so
    depending on which box(es) I'm using I pull different bags. That's for when I can put lunch
    into the fridge, or it doesn't need to stay cool.
    Most of them also have matching sleeves for holding silverware, either plain fabric or (mostly)
    lined with plastic (tablecloth). Not that I'm going overboard or anything... :grin:

I also have 2 what I'd call lunch bags, which are insulated (the thin fleece stuff that has metal in
    between the layers
    ) & big enough for most of my boxes, even several of the smaller ones
    together, plus more. They're substantial.
    Made those too. Tops are zippered, so nothing will fall out.
    That's for when I don't have access to a fridge, and I'll throw in a frozen water bottle or ice pack.

A suggestion for the bike... get a nice large wire basket (mine is on the rear wheel carrier), get
    a bungee cord with hooks on the end, and make a V over the basket to make it less likely your
    things will bounce out. A longer cord can do a V, plus run across side to side.

Also, if you pack the bento box right (if you use the more traditional fillings at least), it bouncing around a bit on your bike shouldn't affect it too much providing the lid is secure. I remember someone earlier in the thread did a box test - it's not packed tight enough unless you can stand it on its side (without the lid) and nothing falls out.

And if you ride with a small backpack, the thinner taller multi-compartment bento boxes might suit you better, like this or this
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I like that "Bento Colors" one! STOP POSTING THESE!!!! TT^TT
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I finally bought the gem wraps- I can't remember who used to use them, but do you make them the same day or do they hold up if you make them the night before and set them in the fridge overnight? I'm excited to try them!
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    I finally bought the gem wraps- I can't remember who used to use them, but do you make them the same day or do they hold up if you make them the night before and set them in the fridge overnight? I'm excited to try them!
    Gem wraps?

• kramrn77
    Options
    The are kinda like veggie fruit roll ups for adults. I know she was using them as tortillas for roll ups and wraps for lunch and I finally got some because they are gluten free and I keep glutening myself at lunch since I stopped making bentos a while back. Trying to get back into the habit again!
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    That sounds good! I found some low cal wraps [50 cal/wrap], but they were... Eh, for me. Good enough to hold my veggie burger, not much else.
  • kramrn77
    Options
    I bought a pack of bbq flavor and a pack of mango chipotle. I am just trying to figure out how to really work them.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I bought a pack of bbq flavor and a pack of mango chipotle. I am just trying to figure out how to really work them.

I didn't use them but it sounded like they get a bit too soft when they sit with moist ingredients over night. It's probably better to make your wrap in the morning.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I made them the night before, but make sure you leave any dressing off, they will melt. I don't remember who used them regularly, but she did say they have to sit before you eat them.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I made them the night before, but you can't use wet ingredients (sauces, tomato, etc). They are too firm to eat immediately, so if you make them the day-of, you have to let them sit for five minutes or so before chowing down. I stopped eating them after a couple because I didn't want to make them the day-of, and they were getting too mushy if I made them the night before :(
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ciozjiuvpcoa.jpg

Here is my Kinda Ugly Box (tm) for today :smiley: :

Layer 1: Layered Eggplant

Layer 2: Mango and strawberries, arugula/kale/ham

PS I kinda hate cutting up mango :wink:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    No bento for me today :(
  • mangrothian
    Options
    No bento for me today :(

Me neither :( been sick the las 4 days so energy levels are lagging.
    sagj wrote: »
    PS I kinda hate cutting up mango :wink:

You aren't alone there. Mango is certainly not a fruit designed for easy cutting. I put it in my "this fruit is too slow for neat bento" category. ;)
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    I'm preparing for my bento right now! Right cooking with an egg on it in the fancy rice cooker. Not sure where to go from there.. Maybe some grilled veggie! Definitely a side of ozuke.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I'm preparing for my bento right now! Right cooking with an egg on it in the fancy rice cooker. Not sure where to go from there.. Maybe some grilled veggie! Definitely a side of ozuke.

Ozuke?
  • PixelPuff
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ozuke?
    Pickled things. I just realized this may not be a national thing, since it is Colorado-based and I'm in Colorado. xD; We love our 'support our state' produce, etc.

http://ozuke.com/product/ruby-calendula/

I use the one above. It was an interesting taste at first, couldn't tell if I liked it or hated it. NOPE, I LOVE IT. A little goes a looooong way, too.
  • mangrothian
    Options

Ozuke?
    Pickled things. I just realized this may not be a national thing, since it is Colorado-based and I'm in Colorado. xD; We love our 'support our state' produce, etc.

I use the one above. It was an interesting taste at first, couldn't tell if I liked it or hated it. NOPE, I LOVE IT. A little goes a looooong way, too.

Ah, so it's a brand name. I was thinking "I don't recognize that word, but if it's tasty and bento friendly I must have it!" Sadly, not available in Aus :(
  • PixelPuff
    Options

Ozuke?

Ah, so it's a brand name. I was thinking "I don't recognize that word, but if it's tasty and bento friendly I must have it!" Sadly, not available in Aus :(
    Never know, maybe one day! They just do pickled things, you could probably find an Aus brand of similar tastes. Check for brands that do Kim Chee, they may do other stuff.