Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Nishiki really is good. xD

Also; I bought some cute lil bentos on Ebay. They were $2.50-ish each, free shipping, I jumped on dat *kitten*.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Today's bento. Edamame & jasmine rice/forbidden rice & pork dumplings. I'm getting close to finishing my freezer stash, so I think the next round of dumplings will be home made (fingers crossed, ha!). Total cals 458. Oh, and I totally rocked my star shaped egg. If I remember, I'll take a picture of my snack bento when I open it.oorf23pf4tu9.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Ah, well the picture's not great, but you get the idea...fb9wtoc3yo2e.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 That is an excellent star egg!

No bento for me today, grabbed soup from the cafeteria. I might have a bento at some point this week, but I've got a lot of homework, so I don't know that it'll happen :/
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

No bento for me today, grabbed soup from the cafeteria. I might have a bento at some point this week, but I've got a lot of homework, so I don't know that it'll happen :/

It sure is an eggcelent star egg!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

enhanced-32084-1396279470-1.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Ohhohohoho, you cheeky yolker you!

I have a rather pretty bento today, but i cant post a pic until I get to work, since mfp still wont let you post a photo from your gallery on android >~<
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

shne8sdrrgu0.jpg

• mangrothian
    Options
    Omnomnomnom! Smoked salmon flower bento. I timed myself this morning; bento box empty to full in 11.5 minutes. o:) I probably could've been quicker if I didn't use my flower cutters on the carrots.

d9apj48tucax.jpg

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Omnomnomnom! Smoked salmon flower bento. I timed myself this morning; bento box empty to full in 11.5 minutes. o:) I probably could've been quicker if I didn't use my flower cutters on the carrots.

Amazing! It takes me an hour to do one of Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals, so I don't think I'll ever get that fast. Do you cut out your carrots before or after cooking?

• mangrothian
    Options

Amazing! It takes me an hour to do one of Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals, so I don't think I'll ever get that fast. Do you cut out your carrots before or after cooking?

Before. I slice the carrot into rounds (no peeling), lay the pieces flat, and use the cutter on each piece without removing the centre flower from the cutter that's left. Eventually they pop to the top of the cutter and I just tap them out.

Honestly, unless I'm in a rush, I potter about and take my time. Cooking should be enjoyable, not painful and frantic.

Since I'm eating it now, I can be pleased to say that the packing was done well too, since it looked the same when I opened it; although the narazuke pickle dyed some of my rice fluorescent green. I also used one of those microwave steamer containers for the veg rather than blanching them like I normally do, so I didn't have to wait for water to boil. I might do that more often actually.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Today's lunch is honey soy chicken, brocolini, capsicum and rice

fpxbtcflq3pd.jpg
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Today I used my large sealable microwave cup (its my largest container at 940ml), because for lunch I have curryrice! I didn't make as much sauce as would normally go with it, since I still don't completely trust a container that says 'leakproof', but it did need to be a microwavable one.

hawi269ni1rn.jpg

For Calories sake, it's got no potato in it (which would normally be the main veg), but has broccoli, capsicum, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrot, onion and chicken. nomnomnom. Perfect for when you're still slightly damp from walking in the rain on your way to work.

P.S Stupid photo won't orientate in the right direction. Bah!

I´d like to have that recipe pls^^
  • mangrothian
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    Today I used my large sealable microwave cup (its my largest container at 940ml), because for lunch I have curryrice! I didn't make as much sauce as would normally go with it, since I still don't completely trust a container that says 'leakproof', but it did need to be a microwavable one.

hawi269ni1rn.jpg

For Calories sake, it's got no potato in it (which would normally be the main veg), but has broccoli, capsicum, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrot, onion and chicken. nomnomnom. Perfect for when you're still slightly damp from walking in the rain on your way to work.

Ah that's kinda hard to do :/ It's literally a mix of the veg I mentioned above that were par-boiled, then I mixed a bought curry sauce (this once came from Daiso), one chicken breast diced, and a sprinkle of extra chilli powder. I weigh my mixed veg for bento as a whole, and split it into two portions. I only par-boiled the veg because I was heating it up in the microwave which cooked them the rest of the way.

For curry rice, you'll find it's really hard to get a decent recipe to make the sauce from scratch, and I've given up trying. If you can find either Vermont Curry or Golden Curry mix (the link is for Amazon UK), you'll be able to make it quite easily.
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »

hawi269ni1rn.jpg

Ah that's kinda hard to do :/ It's literally a mix of the veg I mentioned above that were par-boiled, then I mixed a bought curry sauce (this once came from Daiso), one chicken breast diced, and a sprinkle of extra chilli powder. I weigh my mixed veg for bento as a whole, and split it into two portions. I only par-boiled the veg because I was heating it up in the microwave which cooked them the rest of the way.

For curry rice, you'll find it's really hard to get a decent recipe to make the sauce from scratch, and I've given up trying. If you can find either Vermont Curry or Golden Curry mix (the link is for Amazon UK), you'll be able to make it quite easily.

Thank you dear ;)
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Got my bento box in! It's small, but it's the perfect size for me. AND, surprise suprise! My local walmart redid the store and suddenly is selling fresher vegetarian foods in the veggie aisle! I'm not a vegetarian but I can't eat many meats because of my stomach so woohoo!
    Lunch yesterday:
    Marinated tofu and mushroom kabobs, jasmine rice, grapes and granola balls.
    2vuhstg.jpg
    Lunch today:
    Meatless quinoa sandwich, grapes, spinach salad.
    90zguu.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm back!

hmokt3on3tl2.jpg

Today's bento:

Layer one: Left over cooked mushroom/onion/garlic/rosemary mix with two thin slices of flank steak and Gorgonzola

Layer two: arugula/kale salad with carrots and grapefruit and cherries mixture.

I also have a coffee yogurt
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I managed to scrounge together a bento this morning! :3 Turkey and swiss roll-ups with a car-shaped egg in the big tier. Shelled edamame, cheese (brie and gruyere), and strawberries in the small tier. Extra (unshelled) edamame from my pre-portioned baggie stuffed in random spots :p
    wt82re8jt3tg.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Today for me its pepper pork with my usual veg and rice fare. 360 Calories
    v95ll8vbuboy.jpg
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ...aaaaand I've reached the end of the entire thread. Y'all inspired me - my Bentgo is coming Friday! I already boiled eggs and made meatballs in preparation; I'm so excited!