Switching from WW (Weight Watchers)

Options
I am nervous to switch from WW point plus to MyFitnessPal. I feel like counting calories, I can eat a lot less than the number of points and then the 49 bonus points.
Anyone make the transition successfully?
Thanks!

Replies

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm also switching from WW and I agree with you. I feel like I could eat alot more counting points then calories. I'm going to give this a try since it's free. I was successful with WW but it's like with any weight loss plan, if you work the program it'll work. I'm confident this will work for me if I stick to it. Good luck to you.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a successful convert. I did weight watchers for 3 months before switching over to MFP, where I've been successful for another 5 months. I lost with both programs, and at about the same rate (52 lbs total now, yay!)

It did take some minor adjustments- watching fruit intake was one. I used to eat fruit a lot because it was free. But I still can, just not as much. I don't feel any more hungry than I did with weight watchers. In fact at first I thought I was eating more. What calorie allotment have you given yourself? If you're following 1200, that may be the problem. Make sure you're choosing the right calorie budget for your needs and goals.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW after using it off and on for almost 4 years !
    I find MFP keeps me honest about what I am eating...
    I use the TDEE method to calculate my calories per day, and I do not eat back my exercise calories. It works for me.... I am sure you will find your way pretty easy on this site, and the Food database is HUGE - I have not run into anything that I could not find a calorie value for yet !
    - I think I have been on here for about a year ?
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers several years ago. I was hungry constantly. I like MFP much better. It has really taught me that everything consumed matters. I've lost weight and think I have a better shot at keeping it off since I will very gradually slide into maintenance. Hope it works well for you.
  • JSurita2
    Options
    What is TDEE? I've seen that acronym 3 different times on this site today and I'm just now exploring so I have lots to learn. Thanks in advance.
  • dln1975
    dln1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had been an on-and-off member of Weight Watchers for years, both on-line and meetings. I was strictly an on-line member for a while at the end (most of 2014) and then when my finances took a hit I quit it altogether and came to MFP the week of Thanksgiving. Seriously it's been an incredible change! I find myself a lot less hungry on MFP and like someone else mentioned the food database is HUGE! I have very seldom run into a problem where something is not listed that I was looking for. Even small "mom and pop" restaurants are usually in there. I found myself eating a lot of processed foods (100-calorie packs, etc.) on WW versus MFP, and I have also learned that there is no "off-limit" food, everything is doable if it fits into your daily goal. I think having the ability to be able to post your diary for your friends to see has helped me a lot too (and the ability to see other's diaries). It was tough letting go of the WW mentality of Points, but I am much happier now! Best of luck to you!!

JSurita2, TDEE stands for "Total Daily Energy Expenditure" which basically is the number of calories your body burns in a 24-hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food. :smile:
  • JSurita2
    Options
    Thank you dln1975.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do both. I go to WW for the weekly accountability, and MFP for the tracking.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This is a great post to figure out how many calories to eat, and other little quirks and tips about MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here

See the other sticky on this board too: the guide to getting started.
  • NaeTeaspoon
    NaeTeaspoon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a year or so, had a break and now am on MFP. I find I think more about what I'm eating with MFP because of counting fruit and veggies - and I am also making more conscious decisions to allocate my calories to nutrient-rich foods rather than just 'spending my points'.
    I also far prefer these forums :smile:
    Good luck & welcome!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I did it - it works. I feel like I can actually eat more of the truly filling stuff (WW emphasizes fibre but it's fat and protein that keep me full - and protein for one has more bang for your calorie buck!).

Also regarding the 49 flex points - I found that the 26 daily points brought me to around 1100 - 1200 calories a day. So if MFP is giving that to you as a total, you could probably say that you have 1500 - 2000 calories to safely play with as flex calories for the week. Or you could increase your daily goal a little.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    emailyv wrote: »
    I am nervous to switch from WW point plus to MyFitnessPal. I feel like counting calories, I can eat a lot less than the number of points and then the 49 bonus points.
    Anyone make the transition successfully?
    Thanks!

At the end of the day, your body doesn't care if you're tracking calories or WW points. It's all about creating an energy deficit to lose weight. Extra weekly points you get with WW are the same as having the calories even out over the course of a week. Different equations, same results. Don't over think it.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs on the old WW Points system, but could only gain or maintain on the new Points+ system. Fruit has a LOT of calories and I think they seriously underestimate how much people are eating. Prior to WW, I had counted calories and I was nervous converting to points (kind of the opposite to your situation). So, I counted both for a few weeks, just to see how they compared. That might help you with the transition.

Like others have said, I find that I can better identify what helps me feel full on MFP than on WW. I find that minimally processed, full-fat whole foods that are high in protein give me much more fullness than other foods. Unfortunately, while WW tries to encourage healthy eating, it does tend to push towards more processed/packaged foods. Also, I think the emphasis on low fat that WW has is a bit antiquated. Overall, give it some time and play around with your calories and macros and I think you'll like MFP--you have much more ability to customize it for what works for you than you have with WW.

Good luck!
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a WW Lifetime Member . . . but I achieved that on the old points system. When WW went to the new Points+, I had more problems loosing, and sometimes even maintaining on it. And since WW keeps the calculation a secret as to how many points it's worth, I found it frustrating to track what I ate, and always had to have their calculator with me.
    Anyway, I wish you the best in this endeavor. . .

You have the power within you to be successful!
  • emailyv
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • AnonyMS13
    Options
    I tried WW but it was hard to get to he meetings. Then, it just wasn't in the budget ($$) anymore.

I'm new to MFP. I'm distrustful of the "HUGE database of food" because most of the food I look up has been entered by other members - there will be several different items; not sure which one to pick; also, what if something was entered incorrectly? I was hoping MFP would be easy but it seems like I'll have to look up (Google) food to see if it fits what's in the database... no?
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love WW .... however, I am diabetic. My diet was changed and now I take insulin based on the number of carbs I eat. I didn't want to take large doses of insulin anymore so I dropped WW and joined MFP. I am just as successful here as I was with WW. The only difference is my blood sugars are much better and my doctor is thrilled.
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    AnonyMS13 wrote: »
    I tried WW but it was hard to get to he meetings. Then, it just wasn't in the budget ($$) anymore.

I'm new to MFP. I'm distrustful of the "HUGE database of food" because most of the food I look up has been entered by other members - there will be several different items; not sure which one to pick; also, what if something was entered incorrectly? I was hoping MFP would be easy but it seems like I'll have to look up (Google) food to see if it fits what's in the database... no?

That is a problem. You just have to look at all the entries and find the one that is accurate. If there are none, you can enter your own or edit incorrect ones. I try to use the information on the food package or a restaurant website to stay as accurate as possible. If I just can find it, I choose the one that has, for me, the highest carb count.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yup, I made the switch 86 pounds ago. Weight Watchers is a great program and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it and I lost weight with it. However, MFP is better for ME. I don't need or want the accountability of paying dues and formally weighing in with a witness each week. I also prefer to count calories vs. points. Calories make more sense to me. Everyone is different though, so find the program that works for you and stick with it. Anything works if you stick with it long enough.
  • SuequehannaWakiya
    SuequehannaWakiya Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been to WW in Australia on and off for many years as well but have cancelled my subscription to stay with MFP.

Although WW has become more modern with technology recently (it now links with fitbit etc), it's food database is cumbersome compared to MFP. I was also paying $75/month au (plus in-meeting items like cookbooks) to WW (??! omg, was I REALLY???? :open_mouth: ) to do what I can now do for free.

I also had surgery for ovarian cysts in Septemeber last year and my hormones have been in the nut house. Even though I was eating the set points etc, I was still up and down on WW with the mainstream foods I was eating. I hated the patronising comment I got from the desk girl at WW one day who announced that a 1.1 gain in a week (due to my poor cycle after surgery) was "quite a lot of weight and was I sure I was following the program?" For $75 I can feel deflated by myself for free, thanks :neutral_face:

I feel renewed now I have discovered Dr Sandra Cabot's books about bodies and hormones, plus Paleo baking for sweet treats. In a short time my weight in going down all the time, my body is behaving in a very civilised way now a lot of mainstream ingredients are out and I can link my Fitbit for calories exercised. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the mapping of vitamins and minerals which I have to keep up to rebalance myself ... WW just doesn't give you a focus in that regard.

Sometimes I miss having a chat with fellow people on the food stuff but there are more ticks for MFP for me than WW .... give it a go :smiley: