Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    No-one is suggesting that a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale.

Are you sure? It sure seems like some are.

No....what people are saying is having a can of coke with a bowl of stew, that has veggies and proteins in it, is not considered unhealthy as I met all my macs and micros for the day, if I have room I will fit ice cream or a cookie or whatever.

Some are, but some are saying both are equally heatlhy foods becasue they both can be part of an overall healthy diet. They can't seem to separate the terms.

Well, in that context, then I cannot see that it is incorrect statement.

Niether do I. I just think it's a cop-out.

I'm 300 calories under my goal and zombies are getting ready to chase me. I have the choice of 300 calories of kale before I go or 300 calories of sugar...which do I eat? Sugar...it's faster releasing and keeps me from getting ate by zombies, therefore, sugar is healthier than kale in that instance....BOOM! BOOYAH!!

Totally off point and untrue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you reference a study that you have read then you should be able to readily access it...

Why? If I already know what it says, how does it benefit me to keep it handy at all times?

because if you are going to make outrageous claims you should have something to back them up with ..its not my job to prove a negative.

Saying sugar is linked to a higher risk of death by heart disease is not outrageous. Please prove that it is outrageous. Where is your link?

Did you seriously just ask someone to prove that *your* claim is not outrageous? :huh:

Wouldn't it be easier for you to provide support for it being credible?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

Yes. Just look at the ingredient list.

Where your nutrients, fat, carbs, etc. are coming from do matter.

oh really??? care to elaborate?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.

Was Sodium Bicarbonate the toxin?
    No.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    At not wasting my time providing links to people who have no genuine interest in them? Actually, I'm pretty good at that.

But I do have a genuine interest.
    If you did, you would research the issue yourself. It's really not that hard. You obviously have internet access. If you don't care enough to research it, why should I do it for you?

I am always fascinated when one poster has no idea the background of the other and takes pot shots.......looks bad.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.

lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    stop while you're far behind. You obviously have no clue about what you're talking about. You should just sit back and learn at this point.
    From who? The people claiming sugar is healthy food? No thanks, I'm doing just fine on my own.

Context....you seem to be missing it.
    No, I'm really not.

Yes, yes you are.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Saying sugar is linked to a higher risk of death by heart disease is not outrageous. Please prove that it is outrageous. Where is your link?

Did you seriously just ask someone to prove that *your* claim is not outrageous? :huh:

If you use words like outrageous, you should be able to back them up.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JoyeII wrote: »
    Calcium, iron, Vitamins A, D, K, E, etc. are naturally occurring parts of nutrition in whole, unprocessed foods. You aren't going to find those quality micronutrients in pizza, ice cream, funnel cakes, candy bars, soda, etc. And, even if you do get some micronutrients in the ingredients used to make those foods, you will also get a huge dose of sodium (implicated in high blood pressure), saturated fats (implicated in cardiovascular diseases) and sugar (which has a whole slew of diet related health issues attributed with it).

A bonus: what sort of education or research do you have to assert this position? I'd love to know.

What's the difference between eating some ice cream or having a yogurt?

Depending on the situation, it can be significant IMO. Comparing some commercial brands of ice-cream with homemade yogurt would yield a good bit of differences, IMO. Homemade yogurt can be loaded with probiotics, added sugar does not have to be as high as in commercial ice-cream, and it is also lower in lactose.

In that case, next we should compare some commercial brands of yogurt with homemade ice cream...because cherry-picking is so persuasive.

dude... what page are you on. That was like, so last hour or two.

wait is ice cream made with a hand crank more healthy than ice cream made with a home machine. What about those roller ball ice cream thingies are they the most healthiest ice cream? If I make ice cream with whole milk or cream does that make one ice cream really extra super dooper healthy what about rock salt vs. ionized salt will my ice cream be more healthier and not get a goiter?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    a month of broccoli?

good lord- i would hate to be the plumber for THAT house!!! OIY
    Because it is extremely high calorie, high sugar, and high fat for little volume and not a great deal of nutritional value. To be honest I didn't choose the ice cream metaphor, and don't find ice cream to be nearly as unhealthy as, say, a can of coke, but in comparison to a bunch of kale YES ice cream offers less nutritional value.

so much sadness and wrongess here.

also this: kale vs ice cream?
    seriously?

no questions- the kales' in the trash- it's rubbish awful food. You want to talk about 'unhealthy' anything that tastes that bad before you put int your pie hole should never be considered healthy- much less a "super food"

PS Eff you women's health for making kale a thing.

seriously. die.

I really like kale....*ducks*

That shiz is horrible. Bleh. Sorry :flowerforyou:

Ha. I know I'm in the minority. I don't like it baked, I only like it raw in a chopped salad. It has more bite and crunch than regular lettuce. But I like arugula and endive too - maybe I just like bitter greens! :smiley:

I actually like it salted and dehydrated into chips. No, it is nothing like potato chips...but it is strangely tasty.

And I'm glad they haven't implemented the "ignore" feature yet as I'm sure this comment would get me ignored...by at least half of the people on my FL.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes you are.
    No
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Somebody (I don't know who, it's from a book of quotes) once said "Truth, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder." Same goes for "healthy food". It's whatever it means to the individual.

For me, for example, today I had homemade hummus w/fresh vegetables - I consider that healthy food. I also had peanut m&m's. I consider that unhealthy food. I had room in my calories for it, but it still serves no useful purpose towards *my* overall health or *my* weight loss efforts. So *for me* and *what I eat*, m&m's are not healthy food.

If someone else thinks m&m's are healthy food for them based on how they look at things, that's fine. I learned a long time ago that I can only live my own life.

What confuses me, however, is the constant battle about it. Do you really care that my gauge *for me* is whether it advances *my* overall health and weight loss efforts, and so for me I think m&m's are not healthy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    At not wasting my time providing links to people who have no genuine interest in them? Actually, I'm pretty good at that.

But I do have a genuine interest.
    If you did, you would research the issue yourself. It's really not that hard. You obviously have internet access. If you don't care enough to research it, why should I do it for you?

Then why did you offer. Again, seems disingenuous.

Also...lulz at the google weak google it yourself ploy. You realize that people can see right through that right? Right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yes, yes you are.
    No
    Yes
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

No.

OK, just checking. Apparently it turns chicken into chemical laced non-food.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options

I'm also going to be deeply devastated I"m leaving in 10 min. When I get done with dance tonight and go rush home to the dimly lit room where my computer sits- I fear I'll NEVER be able to catch up!!! :(

Start back on page 35 in 3 hours and I promise you won't have missed a thing.

Still in for the laughs.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you use words like outrageous, you should be able to back them up.

Strong logic!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    a month of broccoli?

good lord- i would hate to be the plumber for THAT house!!! OIY
    Because it is extremely high calorie, high sugar, and high fat for little volume and not a great deal of nutritional value. To be honest I didn't choose the ice cream metaphor, and don't find ice cream to be nearly as unhealthy as, say, a can of coke, but in comparison to a bunch of kale YES ice cream offers less nutritional value.

so much sadness and wrongess here.

also this: kale vs ice cream?
    seriously?

no questions- the kales' in the trash- it's rubbish awful food. You want to talk about 'unhealthy' anything that tastes that bad before you put int your pie hole should never be considered healthy- much less a "super food"

PS Eff you women's health for making kale a thing.

seriously. die.

I really like kale....*ducks*

That shiz is horrible. Bleh. Sorry :flowerforyou:

Ha. I know I'm in the minority. I don't like it baked, I only like it raw in a chopped salad. It has more bite and crunch than regular lettuce. But I like arugula and endive too - maybe I just like bitter greens! :smiley:

I actually like it salted and dehydrated into chips. No, it is nothing like potato chips...but it is strangely tasty.

And I'm glad they haven't implemented the "ignore" feature yet as I'm sure this comment would get me ignored...by at least half of the people on my FL.

LOL. Welcome to the dark side...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    No-one is suggesting that a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale.

Are you sure? It sure seems like some are.

No....what people are saying is having a can of coke with a bowl of stew, that has veggies and proteins in it, is not considered unhealthy as I met all my macs and micros for the day, if I have room I will fit ice cream or a cookie or whatever.

Some are, but some are saying both are equally heatlhy foods becasue they both can be part of an overall healthy diet. They can't seem to separate the terms.

Well, in that context, then I cannot see that it is incorrect statement.

Niether do I. I just think it's a cop-out.

You agree with the statement, but you think its a cop out? In what way?

Because if the question is healthy food and not healthy diet, then foods should be judged outside the context of individual diet. And when viewed individually and in a general sense, some foods are healthier than others.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    We didn't see the thread or the link. Can you please post it again?

Really, because you were definitely in that thread and responded to the post. How very odd...

Which thread?
    The thread in which I sited the study.
    Which thread is that?

What?? You actually expect her to provide a way to find the thread?? As if it's as simple as copying and pasting a link to the thread. Do you honestly think this kind of witchcraft is even remotely possible?? C'mon, get real.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    if you reference a study that you have read then you should be able to readily access it...

Why? If I already know what it says, how does it benefit me to keep it handy at all times?

because if you are going to make outrageous claims you should have something to back them up with ..its not my job to prove a negative.

She was asked multiple times already and has failed to do so.
This discussion has been closed.