Define "healthy" food...

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my food is the most healthiest it runs a 5K every month, has a perfect lipid profile, and can bench press its own weight
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you reference a study that you have read then you should be able to readily access it...

Why? If I already know what it says, how does it benefit me to keep it handy at all times?

Where do people come up with this kind of stuff^^^^ You want to reference studies but we have to go read the studies for ourselves? Lol
    You can either take my word for it or read the study yourself...that's how it works!!! LOL!

If you don't give people a link to the study or at the very least give the full title with authors and year so they can find the actual study you read, how can people read said study??
    I linked directly to it in another thread. Am I now obligated to link it every time somebody else brings it up for the rest of my life? LOL! Sorry...no.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    if you reference a study that you have read then you should be able to readily access it...

Why? If I already know what it says, how does it benefit me to keep it handy at all times?

Where do people come up with this kind of stuff^^^^ You want to reference studies but we have to go read the studies for ourselves? Lol
    You can either take my word for it or read the study yourself...that's how it works!!! LOL!

If you don't give people a link to the study or at the very least give the full title with authors and year so they can find the actual study you read, how can people read said study??
    I linked directly to it in another thread. Am I now obligated to link it every time somebody else brings it up for the rest of my life? LOL! Sorry...no.

What other thread?
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yup, if I was interested, I guess I would!
    Exactly why I am not spending my time to do it for you.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

Yes. Just look at the ingredient list.

Where your nutrients, fat, carbs, etc. are coming from do matter.

oh really??? care to elaborate?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

you do realize organic doesn't mean what you think it means.

also preservatives aren't that bad. sometimes they aren't that good- but not for the reasons you think- they aren't inherently bad for you to consume but more so preservatives can they hide when food is ACTUALLY bad- and when you would have naturally thrown it away (starts to smell/grow etc). Then you're keeping something that's harboring festering things that actually ARE bad for you.

I do know what organic means, thank you. I have a few nutritionists in the family and I can do some researching for myself.

I get what you're saying about preservatives which makes total sense. But if I want to eat something within the time period I normally would without preservatives, then I'd rather get the food that just doesn't have them to begin with.

well if you really got the whole "organic" thing- then you probably wouldn't be that spooled up on it- because it's pretty much a farce.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

What other thread?

Apparently one that doesn't exist anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

LOL ahhh I see the clean eaters have entered the frey..

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    second - see jo roca's comments on preservatives
    third - define "natural"

so because in your eyes said foods are not clean but they meet all goals for macro/micro/and calories they are not healthy?? talk about a food snob...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    JoyeII wrote: »
    Calcium, iron, Vitamins A, D, K, E, etc. are naturally occurring parts of nutrition in whole, unprocessed foods. You aren't going to find those quality micronutrients in pizza, ice cream, funnel cakes, candy bars, soda, etc. And, even if you do get some micronutrients in the ingredients used to make those foods, you will also get a huge dose of sodium (implicated in high blood pressure), saturated fats (implicated in cardiovascular diseases) and sugar (which has a whole slew of diet related health issues attributed with it).

A bonus: what sort of education or research do you have to assert this position? I'd love to know.

You need to do some research on salt and blood pressure (myth) and saturated fats and heart disease (myth).

Sugar isn't the devil. You need to get over that too...unless, of course, you are pre-diabetic or diabetic.

1/2 cup of Breyers vanilla ice cream is a great snack, fairly low cal, nice dose of calcium, and some protein. What's the difference between eating some ice cream or having a yogurt?

Yeah, not sure where they get that Calcium, iron, Vitamins A, D, K, E are not present in any of those foods.

For that matter, my milk is pretty processed - has a lot of nutrients in it.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Can you elaborate.

ETA: lol...behind - was already asked. This thread is moving too fast to keep up.

lol I think everyone is posting at the same time. Which is why I never comment on threads like this...why I didn't skip it today I don't know...
  • ndj1979
    Options

When spouting off on the internet, you have the burden of proof.
    Not the way I see it. What have you proven?

I'm sorry where do you see me siting studies and not providing sources?
    You have not proven anything that you have stated. Ive seen a lot of opinions without anything to "prove" them to be accurate.
    Since I'm not going to read through 23 pages, why don't you go find me one.
    If you're not going to read through 23 pages, I'm not either. And if you're not going to read the other thread in which I posted a link, I see no reason to repost. If you were that interested you would make the effort.

oh the irony ..

this from the person who can't even find said study that he has referenced several times..
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You want me to prove that a balanced diet is key? Seriously?

I honestly do not know how to debate someone with 0 logic and reasoning skills. Haven't done that since I was a first grader. If I ever hit my head and it knocks me back to a first grade education, I'll hit you up.
    You are claiming sugar can be part of a healthy diet...yes, I want you to prove that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Can you elaborate.

ETA: lol...behind - was already asked. This thread is moving too fast to keep up.

it is the like the gift that keeps on giving...or maybe not ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

What other thread?

it was either..

"a question about sugar"

or

"sugar addiction"

they are all starting to bleed to together...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely ludicrous to suggest that some foods are not healthier than others.

It would be similarly ludicrous to suggest that someone cannot be HEALTHY and eat UNHEALTHY foods sometimes.

However, a person cannot be HEALTHY and eat ONLY EXCLUSIVELY UNHEALTHY foods. (capitals for emphasis, not sass.)

Here is my simplified example:

Op said something along the lines of "I've hit my macros/micros for the day, why can't I have a donut?" No one is saying you can't. Go right ahead. Enjoy.

But if donuts were ALL you ate, you'd get pretty sick pretty quickly even if you ate them within a calorie limit. Now, in the context of WEIGHT LOSS, you would still lose weight eating 1000 calories of donuts per day and nothing else. But you would also be hungry, iron deficient, calcium deficient, protein deficient, etc.

If you eat a relatively balanced diet there is absolutely no reason you can't indulge in unhealthy treats. But suggesting that in the abstract a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale is downright silly. I think most of the people suggesting this are trying to use semantics to make a controversial argument and fluff some feathers.

Someone a while back brought up the recommend diet for women during pregnancy, and it was dismissed as "well that's one of the only times it is reasonable to consider those things." I understand pregnant women need a greater amount of certain nutrients, like folic acid, etc, but I don't understand the logic of dismissing the implications of eating a better diet during pregnancy. Think about it this way- if you wouldn't want it going into the body of your growing child, why would you want it going into your own body? My personal answer? I don't, but I'm still going to have treats occasionally when I want to.

Also, and this is an aside to the main point, given that this is a weight loss website I think it is important to note that it is MUCH easier to overeat on UNHEALTHY foods for most people. Most (not all, but most) people to not become obese by eating a diet comprised solely of HEALTHY foods. That is something that I think deserves consideration in this debate.

This whole debate is a little like saying the following: Is smoking healthy? NO. Can a smoker BE a healthy person? YES. What determines whether or not that individual ends up dying at a young age of cancer? Who knows, it is a toss up. Some smokers will live to be 100. But many of us feel like we'd rather not take the risk.

why is the healthy eating crews immediate fall back to ALWAYS build a straw man argument about having 100% of your diet from donuts. No one is advocating that.

so if I eat kale, and ice cream and I have fulfilled micro/macro/calorie goals does that convert the ice cream from unhealthy to healthy?

No, that is absurd. Ice cream is still an unhealthy FOOD, but if it is part of an OVERALL HEALTHY DIET then it is not at all a problem to have it. I'm not sure how you are not getting that, I am not the first person to explain it.

Name something in it that is inherently detrimental to health.

trans fat

What ice cream have you seen that contain artificial trans fats?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Can you elaborate.

it is the like the gift that keeps on giving...or maybe not ...

Can you detail the micronutrient importance as it pertains to your original post?
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

you do realize organic doesn't mean what you think it means.

also preservatives aren't that bad. sometimes they aren't that good- but not for the reasons you think- they aren't inherently bad for you to consume but more so preservatives can they hide when food is ACTUALLY bad- and when you would have naturally thrown it away (starts to smell/grow etc). Then you're keeping something that's harboring festering things that actually ARE bad for you.

I do know what organic means, thank you. I have a few nutritionists in the family and I can do some researching for myself.

I get what you're saying about preservatives which makes total sense. But if I want to eat something within the time period I normally would without preservatives, then I'd rather get the food that just doesn't have them to begin with.

well if you really got the whole "organic" thing- then you probably wouldn't be that spooled up on it- because it's pretty much a farce.

If that's your opinion, you're entitled to it. I just prefer not eating food with pesticides and other junk on it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely ludicrous to suggest that some foods are not healthier than others.

It would be similarly ludicrous to suggest that someone cannot be HEALTHY and eat UNHEALTHY foods sometimes.

However, a person cannot be HEALTHY and eat ONLY EXCLUSIVELY UNHEALTHY foods. (capitals for emphasis, not sass.)

Here is my simplified example:

Op said something along the lines of "I've hit my macros/micros for the day, why can't I have a donut?" No one is saying you can't. Go right ahead. Enjoy.

But if donuts were ALL you ate, you'd get pretty sick pretty quickly even if you ate them within a calorie limit. Now, in the context of WEIGHT LOSS, you would still lose weight eating 1000 calories of donuts per day and nothing else. But you would also be hungry, iron deficient, calcium deficient, protein deficient, etc.

If you eat a relatively balanced diet there is absolutely no reason you can't indulge in unhealthy treats. But suggesting that in the abstract a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale is downright silly. I think most of the people suggesting this are trying to use semantics to make a controversial argument and fluff some feathers.

Someone a while back brought up the recommend diet for women during pregnancy, and it was dismissed as "well that's one of the only times it is reasonable to consider those things." I understand pregnant women need a greater amount of certain nutrients, like folic acid, etc, but I don't understand the logic of dismissing the implications of eating a better diet during pregnancy. Think about it this way- if you wouldn't want it going into the body of your growing child, why would you want it going into your own body? My personal answer? I don't, but I'm still going to have treats occasionally when I want to.

Also, and this is an aside to the main point, given that this is a weight loss website I think it is important to note that it is MUCH easier to overeat on UNHEALTHY foods for most people. Most (not all, but most) people to not become obese by eating a diet comprised solely of HEALTHY foods. That is something that I think deserves consideration in this debate.

This whole debate is a little like saying the following: Is smoking healthy? NO. Can a smoker BE a healthy person? YES. What determines whether or not that individual ends up dying at a young age of cancer? Who knows, it is a toss up. Some smokers will live to be 100. But many of us feel like we'd rather not take the risk.

why is the healthy eating crews immediate fall back to ALWAYS build a straw man argument about having 100% of your diet from donuts. No one is advocating that.

so if I eat kale, and ice cream and I have fulfilled micro/macro/calorie goals does that convert the ice cream from unhealthy to healthy?

No, that is absurd. Ice cream is still an unhealthy FOOD, but if it is part of an OVERALL HEALTHY DIET then it is not at all a problem to have it. I'm not sure how you are not getting that, I am not the first person to explain it.

Name something in it that is inherently detrimental to health.

trans fat

At what dosage though?

Any dosage. Will small amounts kill you or make you unhealthy? Unlikely, but even small amounts are detrimental to health. Any amount does things to your body that are linked to disease. Just because our bodies can overcome the detriment to differing extents, doesn't mean that it didn't exist.

We need to limit this BECAUSE it's unhealthy.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited January 2015
    Options
    oh the irony ..

this from the person who can't even find said study that he has referenced several times..
    I never referenced it in this thread. You did. Therefore, you should link to it. Please do.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

This discussion has been closed.