Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    call it heretical if you will, but figs, olives, caper berries, preserved lemons, and even apricots are welcome on my pizzas.

I felt something.

Well, except for capers. Those are pickled monkey snot.
    And I'm behind, but I'm glad I had my pizza. And it had fresh peppers, and I believe I personally added some E116b directly. I like cumin.

Lol @ person telling Sara to educate herself.
    Could quite possibly win for derp comment of the year. And are only 6 days in.

The year is young and I expect MFP will rise to the occasion.

MFP: The Rise of the Derp < has a catchy ring to it
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    emilyrigh wrote: »
    So you're telling me if someone wanted to gain weight they could eat at McDonald's every day and still be healthy? Wash down their grease infested fries down with coke and ice cream and still be healthy?? Sounds like a one way ticket to a heart attack. No sir, that's not healthy. Your diet does matter.

google the "twinkie diet"

guy ate nothing but twinkies maintained a calorie deficit, lost weight, and had better health markers..

so yea, you can eat mcdonalds and lose weight …however, it would not be best option for body comp purposes but for fat loss it would work.
    When you say "health markers", what, exactly do you mean?

I keep asking this, people keep not telling me, lol.

I assume you mean blood tests. Which tests, specifically, constitute "health markers"?

blood work ..cholesterol and what not …
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

go ahead and read for yourself...
    I'm not asking about the Twinkie diet.

I'm asking if this "health markers" phrase has some kind of agreed upon definition. "Cholesterol and whatnot" would lead me to believe it does not. Please let me know if I'm wrong. :)

go look it up yourself…I gave you the tools…

besides, you would benefit from educating yourself about these things.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    food that doesnt have commercials on tv
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

Eggs, milk, beef, pork and cheese-all have commercials
    Edited for John Stamos....greek yogurt, one of my favorites.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^

so does peanut butter, greek yogurt, salad, frozen vegetables....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you're telling me if someone wanted to gain weight they could eat at McDonald's every day and still be healthy? Wash down their grease infested fries down with coke and ice cream and still be healthy?? Sounds like a one way ticket to a heart attack. No sir, that's not healthy. Your diet does matter.

guy ate nothing but twinkies maintained a calorie deficit, lost weight, and had better health markers..

so yea, you can eat mcdonalds and lose weight …however, it would not be best option for body comp purposes but for fat loss it would work.

I assume you mean blood tests. Which tests, specifically, constitute "health markers"?

I'm asking if this "health markers" phrase has some kind of agreed upon definition. "Cholesterol and whatnot" would lead me to believe it does not. Please let me know if I'm wrong. :)

I did look. Found nothing concrete.

I even asked two people who practice medicine if they knew what people were referring to when they used the phrase. They did not. They understood "markers", but that isn't how the phrase is used here. They figured it was kind of what you said, "cholesterol and whatnot" and that it meant nothing.

Markers and bands and such are generally fairly specific. They have their own names, etc.

"Health markers" - I'm starting to think it really has no meaning at all, not even to the people who use it.

Maybe it's another thing that has no meaning and everyone gets to choose for themselves what it means. Like "healthy".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

So, no pistachios, California dairy, beef (it's what's for dinner), pork (the other white meat), eggs (the incredible edible egg!), mixed nuts, etc.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I even asked two people who practice medicine if they knew what people were referring to when they used the phrase. They did not. They understood "markers", but that isn't how the phrase is used here. They figured it was kind of what you said, "cholesterol and whatnot" and that it meant nothing.

Markers and bands and such are generally fairly specific. They have their own names, etc.

"Health markers" - I'm starting to think it really has no meaning at all, not even to the people who use it.

Maybe it's another thing that has no meaning and everyone gets to choose for themselves what it means. Like "healthy".

so you already asked a dr in ten minutes..that is impressive..

it is generally understood to be a term dealing with general blood work and cholesterol levels….
  • ndj1979
    Options

ummmm …care to elaborate or is that all you got?
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited January 2015
    Options

http://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Numbers.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

4299348438_71972a82d8_m.jpg

4369289730_0acfdf77bb.jpg

• Kalikel
    edited January 2015
    Options

it is generally understood to be a term dealing with general blood work and cholesterol levels….
    Gotcha.

I've been trying to get a definition for a while. It isn't that impressive, even if I did just ask now, lol.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Gotcha.

or had you previously asked and you had a preconceived notion in your head and you were trying to be sneaky ….??

some people are so easy to read...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

4299348438_71972a82d8_m.jpg

4369289730_0acfdf77bb.jpg

cackling....this is just so wrong...gag
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

http://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Numbers.png

Even better and thanks! :)
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    imho, there is no "bad" food, just bad eating decisions - like eating an entire bag of chips or box of Twinkies in one sitting. Chips and Twinkies aren't bad by definition; Eating the entire bag is. Of course, this also applies to eating the entire bag of those "healthy" nuts.

Yes, I agree.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Eat em up
    3365165087_9a616f91c7_z.jpg

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

There is no standard set measure of "health markers" but in general terms what might be included are

Blood pressure
    BF%
    urine albumin
    LDL/HDL
    fasting plasma glucose
    A1c
    HbA1c
    CRP
    and things like VO2 max, HR return to resting, etc...

Those used in a study are defined in a protocol - if your two friends are unable to at least mention three then they don't read many articles involving health markers. The term is used in the literature.
This discussion has been closed.