Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You should also consider, if you really did have an asthma attack, that the two likeliest causes of bronchiole constriction in this type of situation are exercise induced asthma and the psychological factors related to smell triggering. There weren't actual smoke particles in the air.
    Consider option to manage both. Exercise induced asthma can be managed, as well as the mental triggering. But neither by focusing your anger and angst on a stranger.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Have any vicks vaporub? Stick a smear of it beneath each nostril.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Y R U TRYING TO KILL THE OP?
  • dbmata
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I posted that with the off chance that someone would actually try it... lol.

I used to do that when I was in my kenpo tournament days to keep my head clear.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Have you ever accidentally smeared some inside a nostril? It will make you excel in all thing.
  • dbmata
    Options

Have you ever accidentally smeared some inside a nostril? It will make you excel in all thing.
    No, but there was a tiger balm incident that got me off the stuff for life.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I do this when I cannot breath through my nose because I am really sick. Usually all I have to do is run it under my nose if I am just a little sick.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It annoys me when some weirdo gets on the machine next to you when there are half a dozen free ones available.

So, no. Not overreacting.

Remember, evryone is someone elses weirdo

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I hate when people are all up in my personal space... When I'm in line at the grocery store it always seems someone wants to try to crawl into my back pocket... So I've solved the problem.... I quietly take the divider bar, that you place on the conveyor belt behind your groceries and the next person's, and I lay it on the ground a few feet behind me... They get the message to BACK OFF pretty quickly.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I hate when people are all up in my personal space... When I'm in line at the grocery store it always seems someone wants to try to crawl into my back pocket... So I've solved the problem.... I quietly take the divider bar, that you place on the conveyor belt behind your groceries and the next person's, and I lay it on the ground a few feet behind me... They get the message to BACK OFF pretty quickly.

I like this.
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    Annoying, yes. Rude, no. I think there needs to be a distinction there. I've had that experience with someone on the treadmill next to me who smelled like they hadn't showered in a year. Super annoying, but it's not like they did it with the intent being to make me unhappy. He was just a stinky dude. Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke, perfume and people who smell strongly of it. Makes my skin itch, lungs burn, eyes water. workout at home only now.
    People have their rights, nothing can you do. Move is about your only option. When I have guests to my house we are always clear 'no perfume allowed'. I am a bit of an extreme but in a public place not much you can do. Thankfully in Ontario Canada smoking is now banned on restaurant outdoor patios. this summer will be the fist time I can enjoy a patio in about 10 years
  • amazes me that people still smoke, surely everybody knows how bad it is for you. Don't you also think it's a bit old fashioned? Also what's the point in running to get fit and healthy whilst you're still a smoker, defies logic.
    As for choosing the machine right next to you when there is plenty of others, maybe you looked like you were running a similar speed to her and she wanted a pace to follow?

There is a good chance she is not a smoker. Maybe lives with a smoker.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A-FREAKIN-MEN! I am sensitive to that scent too! At my gym it gets pretty crowded when I go but I still try to spread out if I can. If someone gets on next to me I assume it is because no other machines are empty but when I go at night when it isn't as busy and someone gets on next to me I keep my pepper spray close (it's on my keys which I keep with me) or I move/switch machines or leave. That's so rude and creepy when people do that!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It annoys me when some weirdo gets on the machine next to you when there are half a dozen free ones available.

So, no. Not overreacting.

Some people are creatures of habit or have a specific machine they like. At our gym my husband had a specific arc trainer he liked. Sure all the other machines could be empty but he would always go to that particular machine regardless if someone was next to it or not. At the gym I used to go to I had a specific treadmill that I liked (mainly because it was the only one that had an upgrade and actually slowed down to a cool down walk instead of just coming to a dead stop when the workout was done). And yeah, I'd always use that one even if all the other treadmills were open and there was someone on the one next to the TM I preferred.

In all honestly I've never stopped to even think that someone should be using a different machine.

Let me ask you this OP: What do you do in social situations, like crowds and the like where people are all over you? How do you handle standing in line at the store where there will be people all around you invading your personal space? When you go to a bar do you also get annoyed when someone sits down next to you?
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There's a lady in my Zumba class who, despite the room being roomy and almost empty, chooses to stand right next to people to the point where shoulders almost touch. Some people just don't understand the personal space concept and those people are quite irritating
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do not think it was rude of her. However, I do not have an issue with personal space like other people do. I will say that I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be upset when anyone else gets anywhere near them when the other person had the option of not being there. So based on that you wanting to move machines and being upset that she was next to you seems to be normal.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You underreacted. I would have sprayed her with the sanitizer bottle like a cat on the couch. "No! Bad smoker. NO!"
  • dbmata
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    You underreacted. I would have sprayed her with the sanitizer bottle like a cat on the couch. "No! Bad smoker. NO!"

YES.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Cocaine?