Stomach bloat after eating ANYTHING.

Options

Replies

• mysteryroad
    Options
    I also struggled with awful bloating after meals, and I mean just about ANYTHING I ate! My stomach would push out so hard it my jeans would cut into me...not your garden variety of bloating. Well, I finally found a solution that prevents it every time. I have had Candida Yeast overgrowth issues for 15 years and a few years ago while I was researching a paper about it for a writing class I came across a book called "The Life Bridge" about cultured foods and the science of their interactions in our bodies. ( I also found out yogurt does not need live cultures to be beneficial, it is the product the live cultures creates that protects and balances our digestive system.)

Anyway I stumbled on this gem, which had changed my life: Brewers Yeast is an antagonist to Candida Yeast and it basically hunts it down and kills it, but doesn't colonize the body. It sticks around long enough to tame the Candida beast then goes on its merry way. Yeah! So this last round of symptoms was bad: breathing problems, fatigue, bloating, and a load of frustration. After weeks of suffering after every meal, I realized that the meals I ate after I took my brewers yeast didn't swell me up, so I started taking it before EVERY meal. Works better than anything else I've tried. I can even eat foods that would have been absolutely impossible to eat before (chocolate!). Many people who have IBS and food allergies have Candida overgrowth (I was diagnosed with IBS, food allergies, and asthma, but refused to take meds for the rest of my life and found the solution myself!). I buy Lewis Labs Brewers Yeast when I can find it because it tastes the best, but lately I have not been able to find it so I buy Now foods brand which is not the best tasting, but does the job. Any brand will work. Be careful NOT to make the mistake of buying Nutritional Yeast, it makes things WORSE! I hope this helps at least one person get their body and health back! Never give up!
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Great tip mysteryroad! I will definitely try this as I know I have a bit of a candida problem.
  • neintical
    neintical Posts: 20
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I have been suffering from it all of my life. It looks worse as I gain weight. Reading through this thread no longer makes me feel different from my group of friends who do not have this problem.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My thoughts would be: Seek a doctor (regarding things overs have mentioned) and do exercises to increase your core muscle strength... that will mute the effect some what... but first talk to a doctor about it.
  • manicstreetpete
    Options
    Hi
    I have the same issue. I am 6ft and light build yet when I eat my stomach turns into a "d -cup". I work out, play sport and eat fairly healthy but if I eat anything substantial, I just bloat up. Its kinda embarrassing. If you've found the answer, let me know.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To mysteryroad: What dosage do you use for the Brewer's yeast? I had to buy mine in a bulk powder...
  • chattypatty123
    Options
    I have the same problem, it's been going on for a while now, told the dr, they said take probiotics, didnt help. I hate it, if I take a couple of bites of anything I bloat right up and feel extremely full. It's horrible, if I don't eat or drink I'm Fine . water even does it. Has anyone found any relief.
  • KenanSelimovic
    Options
    I have just bought brewers yeast, as advised on this thread, and I will be measuring my stomach to see if the bloating will reduce. I took two tea spoons of brewers yeast with a glass of milk and it tastes AWFUL. But we'll see if it will get the job done.
  • cj731
    cj731 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for this. I've had the same problem but never knew what the issue was, I assumed I was just stuck with it and couldn't eat if I wanted to show off my stomach. Making a doctors appointment for tomorrow to see what's going on and what can be done.
    If not for you guys I'd have no idea what was going on, so thank you OP and all those who helpfully responded!
  • telepathe
    Options
    Same damn problem here :grumble:
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Same damn problem here :grumble:

And here. :cry:
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Informative post. Funny the things you learn to accept and think are 'normal' for you. My tummy always protrudes after eating…I am now going to consider it as abnormal bloating and look for the trigger.

Thanks to the OP and those with helpful suggestions...
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This happens to my sister-in-law. When she stopped eating wheat, it went away. When she has something with wheat in it, she blows up like she is pregnant. Read the book "Wheat Belly" it explains why we cannot properly digest the wheat that is grown today.
  • PetravandePol
    Options
    Same problem here for many years now. Tried everything, but nothing helped.
    Recentely i read somewhere that you can get an intolerance for food you eat too much of.
    In my case eggs.

But i also experience bloat after eating veggies and yes i eat lots of veggies (because there are healthy and we should eat more veggies rigth?)

Anyone experience that bloating after eating (too many) veggies?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Same problem here for many years now. Tried everything, but nothing helped.
    Recentely i read somewhere that you can get an intolerance for food you eat too much of.
    In my case eggs.

But i also experience bloat after eating veggies and yes i eat lots of veggies (because there are healthy and we should eat more veggies rigth?)

Anyone experience that bloating after eating (too many) veggies?

if you google the low FODMAP diet you may get an answer. Some veggies and fruit have high FODMAPS and thus cause bloating whereas others have low FODMAPS and therefore fine. It is frequently prescribed to people with IBS and it has a good success rate I believe.
  • hiittea
    Options
    i'd stay away from gluten and highly acidic food (consume more alkaline foods).
  • parabuds
    Options
    IBS is a pain but easy to manage once you figure out what triggers it. For me it's bread :( but I'm willing to suffer for the sake of a peanut butter sandwich now and again :)
  • CharlieSmurfetteFarley
    Options
    isn't that normal? Probably go away once you reduce your bodyfat percentage.

I'm not really sure how body fat relates to gastrointestinal discomfort??? Firstly, her body fat looks fairly low. Secondly, I range between 17-20% bf, I'd say that's fairly low either way. But whatever bodyfat % I have, it doesn't effect bloating (bloating as in hard belly gas, not water retention) caused by IBS or food intolerances... Stress levels and what I eat does yes, but not bodyfat. In fact it's probably more noticeable at lower bf. So in short, yes your abdomen will look a little bigger after eating, should it be distended, hard and uncomfortable? No. No it's not normal.
  • This used to be me, I had it for years and it made me miserable! I went to a nutritionist and they told me to cut out wheat and cut out carbs during the afternoon and evening.

I still eat loads of fruit, veg, nuts, seeds and dried fruit (it's not like Atkins) but don't eat any bread, pasta, grains, refined sugar (except quinoa) or baked treats (have been doing some good raw gluten free baking instead).

Not only is my tummy now flat as a board and IBS and bloating gone, I am hungry less, my blood sugar feels more stable and I've lost 10lb in six weeks without much effort at all.

Cannot recommend it enough :-)
  • tula1980
    Options
    I can be two-three dress sizes larger in the evening than the morning. My waist can increase by as much as 7 (25-32) inches. I feel your pain. Anyone who scoffs clearly hasn't lived with the misery and discomfort which comes with it and hasn't had to go to work in clothes two sizes too big just to feel remotely comfortable by 5pm. It's hard to be taken seriously when you look like your clothes are falling off you!

I have (finally) been diagnosed with IBD. The FODMAP diet doesn't work for me, I can't tolerate spelt, oats or many other of the 'low, FODMAP' foods. I've also, in desperation, tried pre and probiotics, digestive enzymes and herbal remedies to no avail. Buscopan helps the cramps and so long as I lay off my trigger foods I only really suffer when my body chemistry changes, so TOM, ovulation, when stressed/ill etc.

OP definately needs to go get checked out by her GP. If its an allergy or IBS/IBD the sooner you get some help the better.