Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    so catty, very angry. much trolling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OK I give up ...OP is addicted to coffee and should check herself into a 12 step program immediately.

Also, we can now use the word "addiction" to describe every behavior that one has a problem .and use it as a crutch for every single problem.

So now a product that causes a chemical dependency (caffeine) ='s every behavior? MFP and their extremes...

Come on, dude.

come on man ...you know that like 50% of the threads on here are "help I am addicted to sugar, coke, caffeine, sweets, food, etc ,etc...."

I am just saying that it is becoming a crutch to avoid other issues..

oh look the add at the bottom of the page says "speak to a live counselor" even the ad banner folks are picking up on these threads..LOL
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I use 1/2 decaf and 1/2 caffeinated. I too have to have my cream and sugar. I use Coffee Mate Sugar Free French Vanilla (15 calories per 1 tablespoon) and I stopped real sugar and use Stevia (really sweet and 0 calories).
  • You have to start with coffee you love. For example one of my favorite coffees is Bernie's Santa's White Christmas. Found here: http://www.amazon.com/Barnies-Coffee-Kitchen-Chistmas-Brewers/dp/B00GKW6DJO

The flavor is amazing so I don't need to add anything to it! It's great hot or iced.

Before I discovered this coffee however I was using coconut milk instead of cream and honey or a agave instead of sugar.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hornsby wrote: »
    OK I give up ...OP is addicted to coffee and should check herself into a 12 step program immediately.

Also, we can now use the word "addiction" to describe every behavior that one has a problem .and use it as a crutch for every single problem.

So now a product that causes a chemical dependency (caffeine) ='s every behavior? MFP and their extremes...

Come on, dude.

come on man ...you know that like 50% of the threads on here are "help I am addicted to sugar, coke, caffeine, sweets, food, etc ,etc...."

I am just saying that it is becoming a crutch to avoid other issues..

oh look the add at the bottom of the page says "speak to a live counselor" even the ad banner folks are picking up on these threads..LOL

This isn't a sugar thread though. This is a coffee thread. Caffeine is a mildly addictive stimulant and I would guess affects different people different ways. Is the OP addicted? Hell, I don't know, but regardless, trying to derail the thread on the merits of addiction of caffeine has nothing to do with what the OP asked.
  • RoxieDawn
    Let me add, I use Teeccino coffees (they have a lot of flavors - herbal coffees and too me it is really tasty). Can buy online or it is local in our stores where I live.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Caffeine is addictive in that it creates a physical dependency. I drop it every once in a while just to make sure I'm not drinking because I need it, but because I love it (which I do). It's not a particularly hard addiction to break, IMO, because it is pretty much just a physical dependency (and the withdrawal symptoms are annoying, not dangerous), and not habit based. I suspect the habit part of drinking coffee could be perfectly substituted with decaf for most, as that's about a ritual and so on, not the mental effect (i.e., not getting high or dealing with emotions or whatever).

(Also the robbing people at gunpoint thing has more to do with whether your drug of choice is illegal and whether it's likely to screw up your life so much that you won't have the means to acquire it. Coffee probably furthers my work ambitions rather than interfering with them and plus I get it free while I'm at work. No need to resort to a life of crime to finance it!)

But to the OP's actual post, I don't think she's trying to cut coffee or caffeine (although I might be misreading), but trying to cut down on the calories from the cream and sugar. If so, I still think weaning away from them is the way to go, and also not worrying too much about a little bit of each (just add up and log the calories).

I highly recommend learning to love black coffee, however. It's so good.
  • RoxieDawn
    Did I miss something? Isn't OP looking for alternatives for calories from the sugar in creamers and the actual sugar one needs in the coffee for taste?

How did this turn into addiction issues such as drugs and alcohol and withdrawal syndrome?

Much trolling, and a lot of anger for coffee and creamer and sugar

I read it as the OP has to have coffee and with cream and sugar (like I do). OP said the sugar could be replaced with Truvia but wanted creamer ideas?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Isn't OP looking for alternatives for calories from the sugar in creamers and the actual sugar one needs in the coffee for taste?

How did this turn into addiction issues such as drugs and alcohol and withdrawal syndrome?

Much trolling, and a lot of anger for coffee and creamer and sugar

I read it as the OP has to have coffee and with cream and sugar (like I do). OP said the sugar could be replaced with Truvia but wanted creamer ideas?

Because certain topics tend to bring out a lot of nitpicking.

• 47to27
    47to27 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes, someone else said it well - that some folks like to argue just for the sake of arguing... :/

Some very good suggestions here - thanks to all as I'll be trying some of the "cream" suggestions, too! :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Did anyone look at the OP's food diary? She doesn't even log the coffee, and I could only find one day of logged foods. I'm not thinking this is really a serious "problem", especially since she's willing to devote 210 calories to syrup on pancakes.

Kind of a silly post, but the thread title grabbed us all of course.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    People use "addiction" casually (as in "I'm addicted to pizza") and I really don't think there's any reason to nitpick that usage when they aren't really meaning in the drug use sense any more than when I say "I love pizza so much I want to marry it" or some nonsense like that I really mean that I'm trying to amend my state's marriage laws to permit that.

The confusion is that lots of people DO like to claim that liking sugar is analogous to being a heroin addict, but when that's not the case, no need to read it in. There will be plenty of threads that genuinely present that argument if you want them.

Anyway, good luck, OP!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    sodakat wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the OP's food diary? She doesn't even log the coffee, and I could only find one day of logged foods. I'm not thinking this is really a serious "problem", especially since she's willing to devote 210 calories to syrup on pancakes.

Kind of a silly post, but the thread title grabbed us all of course.

Oh my
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Just make room for it in your daily calories. As long as you don't dump the whole bottle in, you'll be okay. If it's something you just have to have, then make room for it.
  • jayn169
    jayn169 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there! I had EXACTLY the same problem, but I've solved it now! :smile:
    I use 1 tbsp of condensed milk instead of creamer and sugar - it is sweet and creamy and as long as you measure how much you put in then it clocks in about 62 calories, compared to some of the 80 - 100 calorie coffees I had been drinking its not too bad!
  • TH1RTYB3L0W
    TH1RTYB3L0W Posts: 4 Member
    I use vanilla almond milk, which is super low calorie, and splenda, which maybe isn't so good for you, but neither is sugar
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I drink coffee with sugar, real sugar, And half and half. I make it fit in with my calorie goals.
    This. Make it fit. If that doesn't work, s.l.o.w.l.y... use a little less. And I mean, so slowly that you don't really notice it. I used to use 1/2 and 1/2. I used less and less, then 2% milk, now, I use 1% milk because that's what I buy for my family. Granted, I am NOT fooled by my not-very-creamy coffee, but I really don't care. Sometimes, I just skip the milk altogether and put a half tsp of sugar in. Strange how our brains can change. But they will!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Can we not argue about semantics and about words used in forums? Pretty sure that's not what the post was aiming towards.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    OP - if you did not get your coffee fix …would you pick up a gun and rob the nearest convenience store for money/coffee to fulfill your "caffeine" fix; or would you go rummage through a dumpster for coffee grounds? If not, then you are not addicted and just need to learn self control.

How is addiction measured by the propensity to commit a crime? Addiction is defined as "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming."

So yes, someone could have a caffeine addiction without it just being a lack of "self control". Without it they can have withdrawal symptoms "headaches, nausea, shakes, etc" as you would if you were addicted to a controlled/illegal substance. Does that mean they are going to go rob a convenience store? No. Just because someone is addicted to drugs doesn't mean that they go a hold up stores or panhandle for money. Do people do that? Absolutely, but not everyone with an addiction is a criminal.

Perhaps instead of belittling someone and saying its just "self control" look at the actual facts. Caffeine is classified as being addictive just like drugs or alcohol. Someone people can cut it out cold turkey, others need a more gradual process. Everyone struggles with something, and we all have a lack of willpower at times. However, it is not for you or I to judge her or put her down. A little encouragement can go a long way.

Furthermore I think she was using the word "addiction" in a very loose sense and not clinically speaking.

OP- try doing one less spoonful then you normally do and see how that goes. If it fits into your calories for the day, and its something you enjoy then I wouldn't worry about it. We all have our vices. :)

I am pointing out the fallacy of using the word "addiction" for self control issues...

last time I checked, people were not checking themselves into rehab centers because they were addicted to caffeine...

and do I really have to list every action that a potential addict would take to point out the idiocy of saying that one is addicted to coffee...I mean I can start listing them if you really want...I was just using two quick ones...

OP - have you ever taken 500.00 out of the ATM at 4am in the morning to fulfill your coffee addiction? < is that better?

I'm addicted to caffeine.

I overdosed on caffeine last year, but i've never taken 500 dollars out of my bank to get it. Does this mean i'm not addicted?