I'm addicted and I need help...

12346

Replies

  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    sodakat wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the OP's food diary? She doesn't even log the coffee, and I could only find one day of logged foods. I'm not thinking this is really a serious "problem", especially since she's willing to devote 210 calories to syrup on pancakes.

    Kind of a silly post, but the thread title grabbed us all of course.

    I only logged one day because I have just started back to MFP, midday I might add. I had already eaten breakfast with my kiddo before I decided to get back on track. I wanted to do it right then and not, "tomorrow" as, that day hardly every actually comes. I did not log coffee yesterday because I did not have any. I started logging what I actually ate because it was not a planned decision therefore there was very little healthy choices in my house. Also, they were waffles, not pancakes. With chocolate chips and quite possibly the best 210 calories worth of syrup I have ever eaten. Thanks for being so judgy! =) You did, however, catch the purpose of my title for my post, to grab attention. For creamer alternatives. I expected replies pertaining to that, not how horrible of a person I am for claiming to be an addict and my lack of logging/food choices. But, again, thanks! ;)

  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    Why do you need to get off coffee? If your daily coffee fits into your calorie budget, why stop drinking it? Unless there's a specific medical reason you need to quit.

    I guess if you want to take down your creamer intake, maybe find a lighter roast? They're not as strong and you may find you don't need creamer (or as much) with them. And I'm not talking Starbuck's blonde roast, that's actually more a medium roast than a light roast. There are lots of places that do the bulk coffees you can check out to see what's out there.


    I'm not sure why I never thought of the lighter roast! Thanks a bunch! I'm going to try the blonde! =)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Isn't OP looking for alternatives for calories from the sugar in creamers and the actual sugar one needs in the coffee for taste?

    How did this turn into addiction issues such as drugs and alcohol and withdrawal syndrome?

    Much trolling, and a lot of anger for coffee and creamer and sugar

    I read it as the OP has to have coffee and with cream and sugar (like I do). OP said the sugar could be replaced with Truvia but wanted creamer ideas?


    I don't know, maybe because the topic said "help, I am addicted"
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I refuse to give up my coffee. I'd rather saw off my own arm.
  • MHW22
    MHW22 Posts: 10 Member
    I too am a coffee freak - I like ICED coffee, so the sweet flavor is part of it... but here is something I recently found. Post work out I enjoy a Vanilla Protein shake, so on a whim I put my espresso grounds IN the blender w/ the powder, ice and Almond milk. It was great! I killed 2 birds w/1 stone. I had my protein shake that I needed, but the coffee flavor that I really WANTED.
    - Good Luck!!
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    MHW22 wrote: »
    I too am a coffee freak - I like ICED coffee, so the sweet flavor is part of it... but here is something I recently found. Post work out I enjoy a Vanilla Protein shake, so on a whim I put my espresso grounds IN the blender w/ the powder, ice and Almond milk. It was great! I killed 2 birds w/1 stone. I had my protein shake that I needed, but the coffee flavor that I really WANTED.
    - Good Luck!!

    I have tried iced coffee but just can't do it. I can't eat/drink anything with a coffee taste unless it's hot. I know, I'm weird...lol. I've been told about vanilla protein powder as an alternative but when I looked there are about a bazillion different kinds and it just kinda threw me for a loop. Do you have a brand to suggest I look into? Thanks for the suggestions by the way! =)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    sodakat wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the OP's food diary? She doesn't even log the coffee, and I could only find one day of logged foods. I'm not thinking this is really a serious "problem", especially since she's willing to devote 210 calories to syrup on pancakes.

    Kind of a silly post, but the thread title grabbed us all of course.

    I only logged one day because I have just started back to MFP, midday I might add. I had already eaten breakfast with my kiddo before I decided to get back on track. I wanted to do it right then and not, "tomorrow" as, that day hardly every actually comes. I did not log coffee yesterday because I did not have any. I started logging what I actually ate because it was not a planned decision therefore there was very little healthy choices in my house. Also, they were waffles, not pancakes. With chocolate chips and quite possibly the best 210 calories worth of syrup I have ever eaten. Thanks for being so judgy! =) You did, however, catch the purpose of my title for my post, to grab attention. For creamer alternatives. I expected replies pertaining to that, not how horrible of a person I am for claiming to be an addict and my lack of logging/food choices. But, again, thanks! ;)

    Okay, fair enough. I apologize.

    I've said before in other posts, that knowing I didn't have to give up my creamer is what made me realize I could/would stick with MFP. I just use French vanilla flavor Coffeemate. I started with 2 T per cup but now can get by with 1T. Its 35 cal a T. Some days its worth the 70 cals for 2, just like your syrup was!

    FWIW, I don't care what you eat and think its great that you are not keeping any particular foods from your diet. I did think it was weird that you didn't log coffee and its components, considering the thread. That's all.

    55835802.png




  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member

    I am pointing out the fallacy of using the word "addiction" for self control issues...

    last time I checked, people were not checking themselves into rehab centers because they were addicted to caffeine...

    and do I really have to list every action that a potential addict would take to point out the idiocy of saying that one is addicted to coffee...I mean I can start listing them if you really want...I was just using two quick ones...

    OP - have you ever taken 500.00 out of the ATM at 4am in the morning to fulfill your coffee addiction? < is that better?[/quote]

    There have been studies, that show that caffeine is an addictive substance along the same lines as drugs and alcohol. To quote from a study done in 1994 by Dr. Roland Griffiths and Dr. Eric Strain in the department of psychiatry and behavior sciences at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore "Some people are addicted to caffeine in the same way that others are addicted to cigarettes, alcohol or intravenous drugs." The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders) has included Caffeine withdrawal as a mental health disorder.

    Why is something only an addiction if you have to go to rehab for it? Do you know how many people are alcoholics/ drug addicts that never go to rehab? Or that addicts have to go to great lengths to acquire what it is that they need.

    According to the DSM if you meet 3 or more of the criteria below you are labled as being addicted:

    Tolerance: Does the patient tend to need more of the drug over time to get the same effect?

    Withdrawal symptoms: Does the patient experience withdrawal symptoms when he or she does not use the drug?

    Continued use of drug despite harm: Is the patient experiencing physical or psychological harm from the drug?

    Loss of control: Does the patient take the drug in larger amounts, or for longer than planned?

    Attempts to cut down: Has the patient made a conscious, but unsuccessful, effort to reduce his or her drug use?

    Salience: Does the patient spend significant time obtaining or thinking about the drug, or recovering from its effects?

    Reduced involvement: Has the patient given up or reduced his or her involvement in social, occupational or recreational activities due to the drug?


    Do all people who drink coffee have an addiction? No. Just like not everyone who drinks copious amounts of alcohol is an alcoholic.

    You mentioned that you were pointing out the fallacy of using the word addiction for self control issues.

    I am pointing out the fallacy in your line of reasoning that cafeine addiction does not exisit.

    "Fallacy: "a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument"

    My point being that you are basing the word "addiction" and being "addicted" on your own preconceived notion of what that entails. If you personally do not believe that someone can be addicted to caffeine, than you are more than entitled to that opinion. But ones opinions are just that OPINIONS not fact.

    [/quote]

    This is an awesome post. Huge bump... Made me answer some questions and think about my wine habit.
  • victoria5936
    victoria5936 Posts: 7 Member
    I think you have to really want to stop drinking so much and you can do it.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    sodakat wrote: »
    sodakat wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the OP's food diary? She doesn't even log the coffee, and I could only find one day of logged foods. I'm not thinking this is really a serious "problem", especially since she's willing to devote 210 calories to syrup on pancakes.

    Kind of a silly post, but the thread title grabbed us all of course.

    I only logged one day because I have just started back to MFP, midday I might add. I had already eaten breakfast with my kiddo before I decided to get back on track. I wanted to do it right then and not, "tomorrow" as, that day hardly every actually comes. I did not log coffee yesterday because I did not have any. I started logging what I actually ate because it was not a planned decision therefore there was very little healthy choices in my house. Also, they were waffles, not pancakes. With chocolate chips and quite possibly the best 210 calories worth of syrup I have ever eaten. Thanks for being so judgy! =) You did, however, catch the purpose of my title for my post, to grab attention. For creamer alternatives. I expected replies pertaining to that, not how horrible of a person I am for claiming to be an addict and my lack of logging/food choices. But, again, thanks! ;)

    Okay, fair enough. I apologize.

    I've said before in other posts, that knowing I didn't have to give up my creamer is what made me realize I could/would stick with MFP. I just use French vanilla flavor Coffeemate. I started with 2 T per cup but now can get by with 1T. Its 35 cal a T. Some days its worth the 70 cals for 2, just like your syrup was!

    FWIW, I don't care what you eat and think its great that you are not keeping any particular foods from your diet. I did think it was weird that you didn't log coffee and its components, considering the thread. That's all.

    55835802.png





    Accepted. =) I'm a mix of snarky and aloof so sometimes it comes off wrong. Anywho, I think the French Vanilla would probably make me able to cut my sugar almost completely. It has a bit of sweetness on it's own doesn't it? I've tried coffee black but I really need the creaminess to cut the sharpness of the coffee. The sugar is easier to cut out for me but if I had a slightly sweet creamer....2 birds 1 stone possibly?

    Thanks for the idea!
  • buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 49 Member
    I have mine with cinnamon only now.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    buckeye213 wrote: »
    I have mine with cinnamon only now.

    Oh! That sounds really good! I may have to try that this week.

  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    I drink two large cups a day and use international delights fat free, sugar free creamers at 15 calories a tablespoon.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Sugar free vanilla almond milk works for me! :D
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Sugar free vanilla almond milk works for me! :D

    I love the taste of almond milk but every time I added it to my coffee it would curdle or do some strange thing that looked like curdling. What's your secret?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 21,248 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - if you did not get your coffee fix …would you pick up a gun and rob the nearest convenience store for money/coffee to fulfill your "caffeine" fix; or would you go rummage through a dumpster for coffee grounds? If not, then you are not addicted and just need to learn self control.

    How is addiction measured by the propensity to commit a crime? Addiction is defined as "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming."

    So yes, someone could have a caffeine addiction without it just being a lack of "self control". Without it they can have withdrawal symptoms "headaches, nausea, shakes, etc" as you would if you were addicted to a controlled/illegal substance. Does that mean they are going to go rob a convenience store? No. Just because someone is addicted to drugs doesn't mean that they go a hold up stores or panhandle for money. Do people do that? Absolutely, but not everyone with an addiction is a criminal.

    Perhaps instead of belittling someone and saying its just "self control" look at the actual facts. Caffeine is classified as being addictive just like drugs or alcohol. Someone people can cut it out cold turkey, others need a more gradual process. Everyone struggles with something, and we all have a lack of willpower at times. However, it is not for you or I to judge her or put her down. A little encouragement can go a long way.

    Furthermore I think she was using the word "addiction" in a very loose sense and not clinically speaking.

    OP- try doing one less spoonful then you normally do and see how that goes. If it fits into your calories for the day, and its something you enjoy then I wouldn't worry about it. We all have our vices. :)



    and do I really have to list every action that a potential addict would take to point out the idiocy of saying that one is addicted to coffee...I mean I can start listing them if you really want...I was just using two quick ones...

    There are a lot of smokers in this world that wouldn't commit a crime for a cigarette either, but they would go out of their way for said cigarette/nicotine. The same can be said for coffee/caffeine.

    I would suspect that a heroin addict wouldn't commit all that many crimes either if they could run to the convenience store for their fix.

    Ha, I never robbed a place for a smoke , but I sure did dig through the trash looking for what ever was left of a butt to puff. :\

  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - if you did not get your coffee fix …would you pick up a gun and rob the nearest convenience store for money/coffee to fulfill your "caffeine" fix; or would you go rummage through a dumpster for coffee grounds? If not, then you are not addicted and just need to learn self control.

    How is addiction measured by the propensity to commit a crime? Addiction is defined as "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming."

    So yes, someone could have a caffeine addiction without it just being a lack of "self control". Without it they can have withdrawal symptoms "headaches, nausea, shakes, etc" as you would if you were addicted to a controlled/illegal substance. Does that mean they are going to go rob a convenience store? No. Just because someone is addicted to drugs doesn't mean that they go a hold up stores or panhandle for money. Do people do that? Absolutely, but not everyone with an addiction is a criminal.

    Perhaps instead of belittling someone and saying its just "self control" look at the actual facts. Caffeine is classified as being addictive just like drugs or alcohol. Someone people can cut it out cold turkey, others need a more gradual process. Everyone struggles with something, and we all have a lack of willpower at times. However, it is not for you or I to judge her or put her down. A little encouragement can go a long way.

    Furthermore I think she was using the word "addiction" in a very loose sense and not clinically speaking.

    OP- try doing one less spoonful then you normally do and see how that goes. If it fits into your calories for the day, and its something you enjoy then I wouldn't worry about it. We all have our vices. :)



    and do I really have to list every action that a potential addict would take to point out the idiocy of saying that one is addicted to coffee...I mean I can start listing them if you really want...I was just using two quick ones...

    There are a lot of smokers in this world that wouldn't commit a crime for a cigarette either, but they would go out of their way for said cigarette/nicotine. The same can be said for coffee/caffeine.

    I would suspect that a heroin addict wouldn't commit all that many crimes either if they could run to the convenience store for their fix.

    Ha, I never robbed a place for a smoke , but I sure did dig through the trash looking for what ever was left of a butt to puff. :\

    UGH! I remember those days! I only just quit smoking on Halloween but some nights, at work, I'd take down one of my officers for a puff...lol.

  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 21,248 Member
    Wish you the best of luck with that ! You have gone longer then I have.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Trust the yanks to put cream in your coffee. Whats wrong with normal milk. or even skim milk if you want.

    I use full fat milk when i feel like it, adds like 40cal for 100 ml or so