Options

Replies

362233 Posts: 48
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    362233 wrote: »
    I've heard of pear and apple, but what the heck is a banana shape??
    Banana is when your shoulders/bust and waistline and hips are about the same measurements. It's basically a less pronounced houglass.

That makes no sense.
    I'm sorry what doesn't make sense?

What bananas are have less girth in the middle than the bottom and top? I have never seeing such a thing and I love bananas.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Banana is when your shoulders/bust and waistline and hips are about the same measurements. It's basically a less pronounced houglass.

That makes no sense.

Agreed. A banana is the same size all the way down so it is not hourglass shaped. If your waist an hips and shoulders and bust are the same measurements, you are not at all hourglass shaped. I don't understand how anybody with a 22" waist and 30"+ bust/hips would think they are banana shaped. Makes No Sense.
    My hips aren't very wide though I thought it was basically because I have a butt.

I have seen what would be considered a neat hourglass they seems to still have more bigger hips and shoulders usually. Also my legs don't look hourglass to me. But I appreciate another perspective than my own.
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and have no idea what shape I am. breast - waist - hips = 34/25.5/33. The only thing is I have a runners butt and thighs... URGGG.
    -
    I have to be happy with what I have or I would go nuts.. I have a 20" thigh and that is huge for my small frame!

Here's a body shape calculator.

http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape/
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    My theory is that the whole banana, pear, apple, etc. crap doesn't exist. My measurements indicate I'm a pear shape but pears are also supposed to gain in their butts, hips and thighs more easily. I don't I gain on my tummy and arms most. So it's a lot of quack.

I don't see why your bone structure and typical weight gain patterns would have much to do with each other.
    Yeah you're right. Bone structure and weight gain should be separate things.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That makes no sense.

What bananas are have less girth in the middle than the bottom and top? I have never seeing such a thing and I love bananas.

That makes no sense.

Agreed. A banana is the same size all the way down so it is not hourglass shaped. If your waist an hips and shoulders and bust are the same measurements, you are not at all hourglass shaped. I don't understand how anybody with a 22" waist and 30"+ bust/hips would think they are banana shaped. Makes No Sense.
    My hips aren't very wide though I thought it was basically because I have a butt.

I have seen what would be considered a neat hourglass they seems to still have more bigger hips and shoulders usually. Also my legs don't look hourglass to me. But I appreciate another perspective than my own.

That is even more of a reason to think how do you come up with a banana shape body if you have a butt making to the 30+ dimensions. Are you eating some deformed bananas that have extra sticking out the bottom half to eat?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about shape as far as choosing flattering clothing styles, I'd go with hourglass guidelines. While your bust is large, your shoulder/hip ratio is more relevant to your visual balance because they are both "width" visually and your bust would be more like "depth". (I hope that made sense)

As an hourglass you will look good in pretty much any clothing cut. If you want to really accentuate your curves, you could use belts, fitted midriffs, etc. if you are trying to downplay them (I sure wouldn't, lol), go for blousey tops or dropped waistlines.

I think your hips look great as they are, but if you want to make them appear visually wider (I don't think you need to, I just got the impression that you wanted to look curvier from the front view), an A-line skirt with a fitted waistband could accomplish that.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are a human with a shape.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention when I gain weight in my hips mainly. Well really in my lower tummy? Which is why I think I have highish hips. I gain in the thighs too. My boobs stay around a b-c cup depending on my weight. Waistline stays the same size usually and so do my arms my butt also is one of the places I experience significant weight gain.

Same here. I'm also short (5 foot) and have a more *hourglass* shape.

I would say hourglass (honestly never heard of someone referring to body shape as a banana hah). But I think you look perfect! Gaining a little would look good too, but either way, your beautiful!

Extra weight makes me look skinny fat actually because I gain in my lower tummy and thighs so my lower hips low pretty straight and weight but I have a bulge in my lower tummy So it looks like I have a big tummy and narrow straight hips.

Banana shapes can vary with breasts size supposedly I read that the lollipop shape is a banana shape.

My bust naturally isn't that big anyhow but my waist is more more defined than this chick. Other than that I'm also an ectomorph. I thought I had some similar to her.

http://www.womens-business-clothes.com/banana-shaped-body.html
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    "The Question

Are your measurements about the same for your shoulders, waist and hips?"
    from the site

OP answer

36-22-33

How you you get banana shape from that? I am so confused on this thread.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    is awesome a shape?
    Options

That makes no sense.

That makes no sense.

That is even more of a reason to think how do you come up with a banana shape body if you have a butt making to the 30+ dimensions. Are you eating some deformed bananas that have extra sticking out the bottom half to eat?

With the banana shape you can have a big butt and boobs.

but I have basically the characteristics listed in a lean column except my waist is defined and my butt isn't flat.

http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-lean-column.php

The neat hourglass I only have a defined waist but like the sides of my butt aren't curvy etc.

http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-neat-hourglass.php
    Options
    "The Question

Are your measurements about the same for your shoulders, waist and hips?"
    from the site

OP answer

36-22-33

How you you get banana shape from that? I am so confused on this thread.
    Well to me the question is asking how much wider my waist. not my actually hip measurement are much of it is my butt.

Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    is awesome a shape?

Thanks
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Are women's clothes labeled as "banana", "apple", "hourglass" etc.? Your shape is an hourglass. If clothes aren't fitting you correctly, they you may have to get altering done. I get my shirts altered (dress shirts) all the time because the waist is way too wide.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I totally have a problem with this. Every shirt I wear fits me well in the bust but not in the waist. I'm short so it goes pass the top of my hips and it looks like my stomach is bigger with tiny legs it's annoying.

How do you get them altered?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    OK for example, If use measured just the front of your waist then hips that they would be pretty close?
    Options
    Although I wouldn't think finding clothing would be that hard? They make a lot of curve-friendly clothing now...depending on where you shop.

I used to have such a hard time with jeans. It would fit my thighs and booty, but then be super loose at the waist. There are a few brands that almost ALWAYS fit me, and I tend to stick with them.

My jeans are kind of opposite because the trouble spot I have is my lower stomach. When I'm in shape my lower stomach can sorta spill but my jeans fit on my butt and low hips just not my hips because my hips don't dip the but higher.
    Options
    OK for example, If use measured just the front of your waist then hips that they would be pretty close?

Yeah all three are pretty close I think it's a 2 inch difference maybe less between the width of my waist and hips slightly more for my top hips. But not but of a difference.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Yeah all three are pretty close I think it's a 2 inch difference maybe less between the width of my waist and hips slightly more for my top hips. But not but of a difference.

Got it. well if having butts and bust is a blessing to you be thankful for it. That why there are so many build a booty things all over the interweb.

Still though I would never say wow she has a banana shape type from the front. Maybe some people do.
    edited January 2015
    Options

Got it. well if having butts and bust is a blessing to you be thankful for it. That why there are so many build a booty things all over the interweb.

Still though I would never say wow she has a banana shape type from the front. Maybe some people do.

I'm naturally a B cup like I said I'm small mostly. My butt isn't flat but not big either. But yeah I'm grateful for what I have im more happy about staying healthy and in shape etc..
    I wear a small on the both and top. Small in both top and bottom bikinis well originally I did. My boobs were a full 34C when I was my heaviest weight. When I lost weight weight I became a 28A-B at my lowest weight around this weight I was a small 30B. Originally had a small chest average butt and small waist with high hips. Now I'm a 30/32F cup it helped makes my other proportions look smaller.

When I was heavier without implants my most most prominent area were my top hips. My low hips waistline and bustline were 38-28-37 pearish measurements I guess shoulders evened out to my low hips but my top hips were much bigger by about 4 inches. It helps giving me a more defined waistline though.
    Options
    If you are thinking about shape as far as choosing flattering clothing styles, I'd go with hourglass guidelines. While your bust is large, your shoulder/hip ratio is more relevant to your visual balance because they are both "width" visually and your bust would be more like "depth". (I hope that made sense)

As an hourglass you will look good in pretty much any clothing cut. If you want to really accentuate your curves, you could use belts, fitted midriffs, etc. if you are trying to downplay them (I sure wouldn't, lol), go for blousey tops or dropped waistlines.

I think your hips look great as they are, but if you want to make them appear visually wider (I don't think you need to, I just got the impression that you wanted to look curvier from the front view), an A-line skirt with a fitted waistband could accomplish that.

i prefer my hips to look as slim as possible as well as my shoulders etc.

When I find fitted midriffs it really makes my day in my size along with blouses. I love blouses idk what a dropped waistline is though.
  • Nick19f
    Nick19f Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I tend to have a similar figure as well I consider myself a pear