The not-so-subtle 'fat' comments

Options

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I think I have to rethink my life. My current bar pickup line is "Are you pregnant?" followed by "You want to be?"
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You could always rephrase their comment/question back at them... "Did you just say my face is fat? I wasn't sure if I heard you correctly." or "Did you just ask me when I'm due? Because the last time I checked, I wasn't pregnant." or "Oh, you say my sister is pretty the pretty 'one,' however, my friends say I'm beautiful."
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I went swimming once and had someone say "Swimming is great for pregnancy".I responded" Great info,I'll keep that in mind when I'm actually pregnant" :p
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do not get that way when people make weight comments to me. I get that way when people call me weak. That is because I want biceps that feel like bricks.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Had an ex mention my belly once, proved 2 things.. she wasn't the one and that I had actually got a little fat. Sometimes it's the way it's said and not the message I guess
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    this is a healthy reaction.

any real or perceived reference to your out-of-shape-ness spurring you toward smart healthy change ... i say good job.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I do not get that way when people make weight comments to me. I get that way when people call me weak. That is because I want biceps that feel like bricks.

this is me.

I am terrified as being viewed as weak, unintelligent or expendable.

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    After I lost a bunch people started telling me to go eat a sandwich or I was anorexic. I was really just at my optimum weight. I also got the are you sick comments also.
  • Firefly1961
    Options
    <3
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    After I lost a bunch people started telling me to go eat a sandwich or I was anorexic. I was really just at my optimum weight. I also got the are you sick comments also.

To an extent I can relate. One of my closest friends is very petite (for the first time ever in 24 years of life she is now 101lbs). There's nothing wrong with her, just happens to have a wicked fast metabolism. In high school she would try to eat a bunch of junk food to gain weight but to no avail. So in the end she gave up and decided to just be healthy.
    Those comments are just as bad.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :s i was taking a patience his blood pressure and other 15 patience in the waiting room, when one of them scream at me, hey Doc how much do you weight? it's safe to say that i wanted to make a hole in the floor and buried my self in it
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    and yes i get a lot the fat chick/Doc reference -.- it's like green eyes nop, burnette nop, curvy girl nop, FAT yes yes ding ding we have a winner
  • LinaBeanX
    Options
    @Of_Monsters_and_Meat‌ hahaha what's your current success rate with that?
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to get comments on being fat more in the military when I was at the upper end of the allowed BMI chart. I just let it roll off my back. Some people are miserable losers and can only be happy picking on others. I can't think of the last time I heard anything relatively close to that type of garbage.

Sorry people are doing that to you that's ridiculous.
  • livijane07
    livijane07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    'Rubenesque' is a favourite non-compliment I've received about my shape. It's just a posh way of saying flabby.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite once when I was pregnant, I was working a job filling up toy crane machines and I was 6 months pregnant (and over 200lbs) and I mentioned it to one of the store owners and she didn't believe me.

Some people are just ignorant. We can only choose our reactions to them. I try to keep positive, all I can do is try to improve myself from here.
  • yoovie
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :s i was taking a patience his blood pressure and other 15 patience in the waiting room, when one of them scream at me, hey Doc how much do you weight? it's safe to say that i wanted to make a hole in the floor and buried my self in it

it's funny that your patience call you Doc lololol
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think my problem is exactly the opposite. People are always saying really obnoxious things like, "you look healthy" or "you're not fat, you're just curvy" or "you're just tall". It really pisses me off. I feel like everybody just wants me to be overweight forever. >:o
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    LadySnox wrote: »
    I think my problem is exactly the opposite. People are always saying really obnoxious things like, "you look healthy" or "you're not fat, you're just curvy" or "you're just tall". It really pisses me off. I feel like everybody just wants me to be overweight forever. >:o

Hm, interesting perspective.
  • yoovie
    Options
    just like we have to get used to the newness of our lifestyle and appearance, so the other people in our lives. we arent making tiny changes and they are used to us being a certain way - but since we love them, we are patient and tolerant and wait for them to get used to the new as well :)