The not-so-subtle 'fat' comments

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do when people start calling you a "Skinny B*"?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My response, " Yeah, you're ugly as hell and I can diet "
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    No, I just had people say I'm fat. I think the only time I remember someone trying to be "covert" was that I had commented on an article about a hiker who had gotten into trouble. I pointed out some tactical errors made by that hiker, and how they could have avoided such situation. I prefaced by mentioning that I hike quite a bit. A response was made to my comment of something to the effect of, "You don't look like you hike beyond the refrigerator, fatty." Other than that, people just call me fat.

That's terrible! I'm so sorry. :(

To troll them you could pull a Mo'Nique and say Yes I am Fabulous And Thick! *diva hair toss*

(I did that years ago and my friend almost died laughing)

Right... as a guy, it isn't so easy to do that. Also, I'm bald so no hair toss.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I also wonder what planet these people are from with these comments. Just things I could NEVER imagine saying to someone out of common decency. Some are just clueless.

Preach it sister.

Srsly like the ONE thing that I thought everyone knew that you never ever say to someone is "when are you due". What rock do people live under that they haven't learned that?

I guess people can tell by looking at me not to say that kind of ish, but if someone did ever comment on my physical appearance, I would gladly return the favor and list off all of their flaws for them.

• xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do when people start calling you a "Skinny B*"?

"Why yes, I am a skinny BEAST. It's okay, I know that's what you meant." *exit stage left*
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My sister once asked "when are you due" to a 50-something woman once. She was serious. I pretended I didn't know her.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just tell them I'm going to eat their children. Shuts 'em up every time.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    My sister once asked "when are you due" to a 50-something woman once. She was serious. I pretended I didn't know her.

...Ouch.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I just tell them I'm going to eat their children. Shuts 'em up every time.

... Well that's useful.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I visited my grandma after my first few months of university, the first thing she said was "Look how fat your face is!". That was enough to get me going :)

Oh girl I feel you. Christmas of 2014 I visited my grandmother and she hugged me, then looked me over and said "Oh Whitney, you're not pregnant again are you?"
    (I only have 2 kids but for her it is PLENTY) I said "No Granny, I'm just fluffy" she replied "Yeah, you are." I was like Merry EFFING Christmas lol (I didn't say that, just thought it)
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think we all get that comment about looking fat. I've gotten I didn't realize how big you had gotten and that was from a family member at a family funeral. I was hurt beyond belief. I went to the car and just broke down and started crying. I have heard, "man she's got more rolls than a bakery", or "don't they see themselves in the mirror" - sometimes I want to tell people that it must be a mighty fine bakery or no, we don't see ourselves in one mirror - it takes two to get the full image!
    - People don't think. I have a friend at work who likes to say "It's a fat girl thing" and at first it made me feel like I belonged to some group. But sometimes people don't have to say anything at all. When I walk down the street and two women of average size are walking behind me talking and then I hear them laugh - I wonder are they talking about me?
    - It affects your self-esteem. I feel self-conscious. My husband once said he didn't care how big I got and that was when I was much smaller than I am now. My Mom was horrified that he would say it let alone think it. She felt he should care about my health and how I looked.
    - I've lost my weight twice before and each time I lost it, I got so many great comments but the one consistent one was, now you have to keep that weight off - you just didn't look like yourself. That's a difficult pill to swallow when your feeling good about your accomplishment.
    - When you have no issues with food, you can't begin to understand the relationship a person might have with it. When your looking for comfort from hurtful words or things, someone else wanting to give you a hug just doesn't satisfy. Our minds are mini-us'. They keep us harping on what made us upset and it can be difficult to shut them up. But we all know we can do it. I have done it twice. I
    - I plan to do it again and this time despite what anyone says keep it off because I know I can and I have the tools to do so. I've got a better support system in beautiful people like you, friends at work and family.
    - So xkitxkatxkaix your not odd or weird - your normal and we all go through it. The difference is now we don't have to go through it alone - we have each other.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was once in a supermarket, and there was this little girl with her grandmother. The little girl turned around pointed at me and goes "grandma, that girl's fat". Grandma didn't hear her so she repeated it 3 times. Grandma finally heard, stopped the little girl from pointing and said "shhh, don't say things like that when they can hear you".

I just stood there I was so stunned, my brain and mouth disconnected from each other completely. I didn't care that the little girl said I was fat - she was being honest, and being a child. I could deal with that. But the grandmothers response? Until then, I'd never had the urge to slap an elderly person. If we want peoples 'sizist' attitudes to change, that old geezers life lessons to her grandchild certainly won't help.

• xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    I was once in a supermarket, and there was this little girl with her grandmother. The little girl turned around pointed at me and goes "grandma, that girl's fat". Grandma didn't hear her so she repeated it 3 times. Grandma finally heard, stopped the little girl from pointing and said "shhh, don't say things like that when they can hear you".

I just stood there I was so stunned, my brain and mouth disconnected from each other completely. I didn't care that the little girl said I was fat - she was being honest, and being a child. I could deal with that. But the grandmothers response? Until then, I'd never had the urge to slap an elderly person. If we want peoples 'sizist' attitudes to change, that old geezers life lessons to her grandchild certainly won't help.

That's awful. Don't people hear themselves when they speak?
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Tell them they are rude (they are), and walk away. If you didn't ask their opinion, then you don't have to take their rudeness. It is not intended to motivate you, it is intended to make them feel better about themselves at your expense.

Not so sure about "rude" in the case of misplaced pregnancy questions.

If you look pregnant, people will want to celebrate with you and the questions will come.

People are just trying to be supportive and excited about a baby.
  • beckibelgium
    beckibelgium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just had my 4 year old 'jiggle' my belly! Thanks mate lol I resisted telling him that it was his fault i had a wobbly belly (it's not) instead said some mummy's bellys jiggle and some don't, mine does now but I want to make it smaller so it doesn't any more to get the response 'awww I like it'
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Tell them they are rude (they are), and walk away. If you didn't ask their opinion, then you don't have to take their rudeness. It is not intended to motivate you, it is intended to make them feel better about themselves at your expense.

Not so sure about "rude" in the case of misplaced pregnancy questions.

If you look pregnant, people will want to celebrate with you and the questions will come.

People are just trying to be supportive and excited about a baby.

Ew, a stranger's baby???? I will never understand why people think that a woman's body is public property like that. To me, it's supremely invasive to the point of being disgusting.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I've rarely gotten comments on my size. I have gotten a couple of "when are you due?" questions, and I make that hilariously awkward by giving them my best wide-eyed guileless look and ask "due for what?" and when they try to back track, I keep pressing them for an answer. Funsies.

My favourite moment though was a while back when I was having a crack at C25K and I jogged past a bunch of teenage boys. One called out "lose some weight, fatass!", so I stopped, looked at him and said "What the *kitten* does it look like I'm doing, Captain Obvious? Got any other pearls of wisdom?" His friends all cracked up and started piling *kitten* on him. It was great.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker ask me if I was expecting. I said "No, I've just got a big fat *kitten*" and that pretty much shut her up.
  • beckibelgium
    beckibelgium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I've rarely gotten comments on my size. I have gotten a couple of "when are you due?" questions, and I make that hilariously awkward by giving them my best wide-eyed guileless look and ask "due for what?" and when they try to back track, I keep pressing them for an answer. Funsies.

My favourite moment though was a while back when I was having a crack at C25K and I jogged past a bunch of teenage boys. One called out "lose some weight, fatass!", so I stopped, looked at him and said "What the *kitten* does it look like I'm doing, Captain Obvious? Got any other pearls of wisdom?" His friends all cracked up and started piling *kitten* on him. It was great.

I got a 'run fatty run' from some kids turned around and said that at least im doing something about my negative points, you however need to take a look at yourself and consider how your words can effect people, carried on running to the sound of stuned silence