The not-so-subtle 'fat' comments

Options

Replies

• xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    livijane07 wrote: »
    'Rubenesque' is a favourite non-compliment I've received about my shape. It's just a posh way of saying flabby.

Rubenensque??? I have never heard of that one before!
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    I used to get comments on being fat more in the military when I was at the upper end of the allowed BMI chart. I just let it roll off my back. Some people are miserable losers and can only be happy picking on others. I can't think of the last time I heard anything relatively close to that type of garbage.

Sorry people are doing that to you that's ridiculous.

*shrug* I was bullied all through school. These people have nothing on some nasty school kids. Haha!
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    just like we have to get used to the newness of our lifestyle and appearance, so the other people in our lives. we arent making tiny changes and they are used to us being a certain way - but since we love them, we are patient and tolerant and wait for them to get used to the new as well :)

Another new perspective I never thought of before! That's a very good thought.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Living well is the best revenge:-)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I thought there was an unspoken rule that you never, ever, EV-ER ask a woman when she is due unless you are 100% sure she is pregnant?

I used to convince myself that the reason I didn't have a discernible waist was because I'm short waisted. Nope. I was just fat. LOL
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Am I weird in allowing that stuff to light a fire under me or are there others out there?

Absolutely not. You're taking something negative and turning into a positive. That's what I call winning. That's the kind of attitude that will help you succeed.
  • carmelg303
    carmelg303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had comments that range from "can you fit it that chair?" to "you're as big as a horse, I could ride you around this place". People are charming sometimes. It's like being overweight gives them licence to say whatever is on their minds with no filtering whatsoever. I feel like replying with "at least I can lose weight, you're stuck with that ugly head/personality for ever".
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Personally I've never got the "when are you do?" But I've had people even family members say to me, Don't you think your to fat to wear that/heels. I've came a far way, I was over 300 lbs at one point I've finally realized people are going to always talk & say rude things so I try not to let them get to me as much. I know what I am doing to better my health & these people saying rude comments don't know my daily struggles. I'd also like to throat punch them sometimes! Don't let anyone get to you!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Honestly, if the comments motivate you and give you the ambition to do "What YOU want", then I say use it! There are 100's of comments, "how do I get motivated", if this is your way of getting motivated I would put myself in a room full of these butt munchers and bottle the motivation.

I've lived with these comments all my life. In fact it was similar comments this past summer that motivated me and I think of them every day to change the person I am into the person "I" want to be. No One will make me do something I don't want to, but if someone can say something to me to light my fire, I'm sure as hell going to use it to my advantage.

You can either be irritated by it or use it! Your choice, but it sounds like you have it in your mind to benefit yourself so go for it!
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    carmelg303 wrote: »
    I've had comments that range from "can you fit it that chair?" to "you're as big as a horse, I could ride you around this place". People are charming sometimes. It's like being overweight gives them licence to say whatever is on their minds with no filtering whatsoever. I feel like replying with "at least I can lose weight, you're stuck with that ugly head/personality for ever".

That is just terrible! It's nice how familiar members think they have special privileges to say things because they're family. Your story isn't the first I've seen today, I'm so sad that you had to hear that stuff. :(
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    shadowloss wrote: »
    Honestly, if the comments motivate you and give you the ambition to do "What YOU want", then I say use it! There are 100's of comments, "how do I get motivated", if this is your way of getting motivated I would put myself in a room full of these butt munchers and bottle the motivation.

I've lived with these comments all my life. In fact it was similar comments this past summer that motivated me and I think of them every day to change the person I am into the person "I" want to be. No One will make me do something I don't want to, but if someone can say something to me to light my fire, I'm sure as hell going to use it to my advantage.

You can either be irritated by it or use it! Your choice, but it sounds like you have it in your mind to benefit yourself so go for it!

Well it did anger me just enough to want to run around and punch stuff (after crying about it) so I figured 'well if I'm running around anyways...' lol.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever asked me if I was pregnant, but when they do, I'm prepared. Here is how it will go.

S/He will say, "Are you pregnant? When are you due?" Then I'll say, "Nine months from tonight!" And then I'll thrust my hips forward while giving a double fist pump. I'll probably bite my lower lip, too.

Can't wait.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound kind of weird, but has anyone else felt an odd sense of motivation when you received the "So when are you due?'' (knowing damn well you're not) comment?
    Recently I got that, then I got the "Oh the bigger girl helped me last time" whilst talking with a customer, then I got a cheeky "/You/ need to go to a gym" comment (this was with friendly banter but it still got me a bit) and an accidental "chunky". I'm completely fed up with this and instead of mentally throat punching people like I have been I'm just going to start kicking my own *kitten* now. Don't get me wrong, in no way am I okay with any of this and /may/ have had a couple mental breakdowns because I got so down on myself. But I'm just tired of it.
    Am I weird in allowing that stuff to light a fire under me or are there others out there?

No, being bullied doesn't motivate me to knuckle under to their negative sanctions and conform my behavior to expectations.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    No, I just had people say I'm fat. I think the only time I remember someone trying to be "covert" was that I had commented on an article about a hiker who had gotten into trouble. I pointed out some tactical errors made by that hiker, and how they could have avoided such situation. I prefaced by mentioning that I hike quite a bit. A response was made to my comment of something to the effect of, "You don't look like you hike beyond the refrigerator, fatty." Other than that, people just call me fat.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Nobody has ever asked me if I was pregnant, but when they do, I'm prepared. Here is how it will go.

S/He will say, "Are you pregnant? When are you due?" Then I'll say, "Nine months from tonight!" And then I'll thrust my hips forward while giving a double fist pump. I'll probably bite my lower lip, too.

Can't wait.

*dying*
    I think if I did that at work I would end up canned. LOL!!!!
  • carmelg303
    carmelg303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

That is just terrible! It's nice how familiar members think they have special privileges to say things because they're family. Your story isn't the first I've seen today, I'm so sad that you had to hear that stuff. :(

It wasn't family that said those things but I know my family silently disapproves of my weight anyway. Either way, it just amazes me how people think it's ok behaviour to comment at all. I'd never treat another person that way. I think they probably think they're doing is a favour by being honest. It's like we aren't aware of what we look like and need them to tell us. Yeah, thanks people. So helpful. Lol
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Can't wait.

O.M.G. That is awesome.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    No, I just had people say I'm fat. I think the only time I remember someone trying to be "covert" was that I had commented on an article about a hiker who had gotten into trouble. I pointed out some tactical errors made by that hiker, and how they could have avoided such situation. I prefaced by mentioning that I hike quite a bit. A response was made to my comment of something to the effect of, "You don't look like you hike beyond the refrigerator, fatty." Other than that, people just call me fat.

That's terrible! I'm so sorry. :(

To troll them you could pull a Mo'Nique and say Yes I am Fabulous And Thick! *diva hair toss*

(I did that years ago and my friend almost died laughing)
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options

It wasn't family that said those things but I know my family silently disapproves of my weight anyway. Either way, it just amazes me how people think it's ok behaviour to comment at all. I'd never treat another person that way. I think they probably think they're doing is a favour by being honest. It's like we aren't aware of what we look like and need them to tell us. Yeah, thanks people. So helpful. Lol

^^Preach.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I used to get comments on being fat more in the military when I was at the upper end of the allowed BMI chart. I just let it roll off my back. Some people are miserable losers and can only be happy picking on others. I can't think of the last time I heard anything relatively close to that type of garbage.

Sorry people are doing that to you that's ridiculous.

Yes, this is true. I once had a Facebook "friend" make a very rascist comment, and I called him on it. Among his not so intelligent responses was one where he called me fat. This guy just had nothing but hate for others. Needless to say, I didn't keep him as a "friend" after that. I just have no time for such crap.