Hi. Trying to gain

Options
Trying to gain about 15 more lbs. I have gained 3. Wanna build a booty. I have been lifting weights but it's so hard eating over 2,000 calories because I feel full after eating that much for the day

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    can you open your food diary, or list what your typical day is like? I suspect that perhaps you are trying to eat clean, and when you do that during a bulk it is almost impossible to get to your calorie goal.

I am bulking right now on 3000 calories a day. My diary is open feel free to browse it for ideas.

Bagels, ice cream, pizza, full fat stuff, etc are your friends…

I would say macro adherence is more important than food quality during a bulk ….
  • asiawilson_
    Options
    It's open now. I'm following the 80 10 10 diet. Junk food made me feel like crap and gave me bad digestion and skin so I went this route..so far so good.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ok…did you just start logging or something? I went back about five days and you only have one full day and one day with breakfast…

What about things like eggs, cottage cheese (full fat), bagels, steak, pork tenderloin, potatoes, etc..?

Are you opposed to say one serving of ice cream? One serving of gelato is 200 calories and it is a quick, easy, and delicious way to get in some extra calories..

It is just going to be really tough getting over 200 calories on bananas, avocados, fruit, etc…

my diary is open if you want to browse it for ideas..

at the end of the day food is just energy that you use to fuel yourself ..there is really no junk, bad, etc..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh - are you on a program that was designed by someone or is it one that you made up yourself? I always suggest it is better to find a structured program with progressive overload.

if you want to build dat booty, you got to drop down and get your squat on…!
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a problem eating enough calories clean, but dealt with it by blending some meals.

for example, i'd throw 300g of chicken in with chicken stock & water. then i'd thrown in vegetables. it's like drinking chicken soup, and you can make it in bulk.

I'm sure there's tons of info for this on bodybuilding websites.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ellisboyd1 wrote: »
    I had a problem eating enough calories clean, but dealt with it by blending some meals.

for example, i'd throw 300g of chicken in with chicken stock & water. then i'd thrown in vegetables. it's like drinking chicken soup, and you can make it in bulk.

bro, that sounds gross….
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Your one day of logging is all carbs... literally... almost no protein or fats. I realize protein and fats are more filling usually, but I assume you want to keep your nice hair and nails and all in the end right? And some muscle in there somewhere so you dont end up with a flat butt and skeletal arms?

Fats have twice as many calories per gram as protein or carbs so will get your calories up much faster. Think a glass of whole milk, or cook all those vegies in olive oil, or eat some peanut butter on your apple. Get some protein and fat together - eat 2-3 eggs at breakfast, or make a carrot muffin with shredded carrots milk eggs etc (google recipe).

When eating all those veggies and fruits... you eat them all plain? I see no condiments or additions... like oil, salad dressing, dipping sauce, peanut butter etc. First of all they will be much tastier, but its easy to add a few hundred calories just dipping carrots in ranch, plus everything will be easier to swallow.

No bread or anything? Take all those veggies, add some cheese and a tortilla wrap (and chicken if you eat meat) and make a wrap out of it. Lots of extra calories, all still perfectly healthy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ndj1979 you are probably going to find it really difficult to hit that many cals on mostly produce since it really fills you up. Not to mention you will likely get bored after a while and eating will become a chore. Not fun. If you want to gain 15lbs with an avg of 2lb gain per month, you are looking at another 7-8 months of this and your intake will usually increase along the way. You can check out my diary but I eat everything under the sun so maybe not what you are looking for.

What program are you following? Strong Curves is a great one which is very booty focused. I am doing it now on my bulk and it has been very successful for me so far (13 weeks in).
  • ellisboyd1
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

bro, that sounds gross….

Oh I've done worse. Even my dog looks at me strange. basically, hold your nose and down it.

Of course, working in some full fat milk with protein shake throughout the day is the less traumatic way, but I found protein shakes much more expensive.

• ndj1979
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Your one day of logging is all carbs... literally... almost no protein or fats. I realize protein and fats are more filling usually, but I assume you want to keep your nice hair and nails and all in the end right? And some muscle in there somewhere so you dont end up with a flat butt and skeletal arms?

Fats have twice as many calories per gram as protein or carbs so will get your calories up much faster. Think a glass of whole milk, or cook all those vegies in olive oil, or eat some peanut butter on your apple. Get some protein and fat together - eat 2-3 eggs at breakfast, or make a carrot muffin with shredded carrots milk eggs etc (google recipe).

When eating all those veggies and fruits... you eat them all plain? I see no condiments or additions... like oil, salad dressing, dipping sauce, peanut butter etc. First of all they will be much tastier, but its easy to add a few hundred calories just dipping carrots in ranch, plus everything will be easier to swallow.

No bread or anything? Take all those veggies, add some cheese and a tortilla wrap (and chicken if you eat meat) and make a wrap out of it. Lots of extra calories, all still perfectly healthy.

OP is trying to bulk so carbs are going to be more important than protein ..

i don't understand the bolded part. She is eating 2100 calories a day, are you saying she is going to get skinny doing that and her hair and nails are falling out?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree with @ndj1979 you are probably going to find it really difficult to hit that many cals on mostly produce since it really fills you up. Not to mention you will likely get bored after a while and eating will become a chore. Not fun. If you want to gain 15lbs with an avg of 2lb gain per month, you are looking at another 7-8 months of this and your intake will usually increase along the way. You can check out my diary but I eat everything under the sun so maybe not what you are looking for.

What program are you following? Strong Curves is a great one which is very booty focused. I am doing it now on my bulk and it has been very successful for me so far (13 weeks in).

op - listen to this chick ..she knows what she is tailing about and is shredded :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

Oh I've done worse. Even my dog looks at me strange. basically, hold your nose and down it.

Of course, working in some full fat milk with protein shake throughout the day is the less traumatic way, but I found protein shakes much more expensive.

why don't you just eat real food..???????
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

i don't understand the bolded part. She is eating 2100 calories a day, are you saying she is going to get skinny doing that and her hair and nails are falling out?

I agree carbs are more important in a bulk but did you look at the numbers? 500+ carbs, 14g fat and 31g protein... Even on a bulk you need SOME fat and protein - just not maybe the recommended 1g/lb lean weight. But above zero!

Lowfat diets are notorious for causing brittle nails and hair loss or brittle hair and gaunt skin. Your skin and hair and nails need some fat. Doesnt have to be a lot, but more than 14g.

Lack of muscle is why people have flat butts (butt is a muscle) and skeletal type arms (muscle gives you shape). While in a bulk protein is not as important as in a cut, it is still necessary to get SOME in order to help build muscle... and 31g is extremely low for just about anyone.

She will definitely gain weight eating 2100 per day if that is over her maintenance but I doubt she will end up too happy with her overall appearance doing it this way...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

op - listen to this chick ..she knows what she is tailing about and is shredded :)

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • ellisboyd1
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

I just find eating that amount of food difficult, since I like to eat clean and gain as little fat as possible. food becomes a serious chore, but downing my 'medicine' takes seconds.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I agree carbs are more important in a bulk but did you look at the numbers? 500+ carbs, 14g fat and 31g protein... Even on a bulk you need SOME fat and protein - just not maybe the recommended 1g/lb lean weight. But above zero!

Lowfat diets are notorious for causing brittle nails and hair loss or brittle hair and gaunt skin. Your skin and hair and nails need some fat. Doesnt have to be a lot, but more than 14g.

Lack of muscle is why people have flat butts (butt is a muscle) and skeletal type arms (muscle gives you shape). While in a bulk protein is not as important as in a cut, it is still necessary to get SOME in order to help build muscle... and 31g is extremely low for just about anyone.

She will definitely gain weight eating 2100 per day if that is over her maintenance but I doubt she will end up too happy with her overall appearance doing it this way...

no that makes sense…

I just misunderstood the "hair falling out" statement...
  • ndj1979
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

I just find eating that amount of food difficult, since I like to eat clean and gain as little fat as possible. food becomes a serious chore, but downing my 'medicine' takes seconds.

no offense, but you may want to reexamine how you view food…just saying...
  • ellisboyd1
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

In what way?
  • ndj1979
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

In what way?

when someone says "food becomes a serious chore" that usually indicates that they way they view food is an issue.

Also, look at your statement you want to "eat clean and gain as little fat as possible" so you come up with this "medicine" so that you can just slug it all down and not concern yourself with actually eating…

it just seems like a strange relationship with food.

why can't you eat steak, chicken, pork, vegetables, rice and incorporate some ice cream, pizza, bagels etc, hit your calorie goal, macro goal, and micro goal ..< doesn't that sound like a more reasonable path? As opposed to blending up a bunch of food and chocking it down?????

I have been doing a bulk on 3000 calories a day … .5 pound per week gain..slow and steady and gaining minimal fat ….
  • ellisboyd1
    Options

bro, that sounds gross….

In what way?

when someone says "food becomes a serious chore" that usually indicates that they way they view food is an issue.

Also, look at your statement you want to "eat clean and gain as little fat as possible" so you come up with this "medicine" so that you can just slug it all down and not concern yourself with actually eating…

it just seems like a strange relationship with food.

why can't you eat steak, chicken, pork, vegetables, rice and incorporate some ice cream, pizza, bagels etc, hit your calorie goal, macro goal, and micro goal ..< doesn't that sound like a more reasonable path? As opposed to blending up a bunch of food and chocking it down?????

I have been doing a bulk on 3000 calories a day … .5 pound per week gain..slow and steady and gaining minimal fat ….

Oh I definitely have issues with food. Once I start eating the bad stuff, I can't stop. I'm like an addict. That's why I stay away from it as much as I can.