Hi. Trying to gain

Options

Replies

• asiawilson_
    Options
    On the back of bluebell ice cream just for an example. High fructose corn syrup, carrageenan, annatto color are all bad additives that cause health problems.

Then don't eat that ice cream. Get a different ice cream.
    Exactly
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Read the ***** ingredients on any ice cream. They are full of additives

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.
    I'm not saying that those ingredients are bad, but she is right--they are additives.

What is your definition of an additive?

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. Maybe the natural flavor could stay, but I doubt anyone eating that ice-cream could tell whether or not they added the gum. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

Or you could actually research why they put gum in ice cream. It's just a stabiliser. It helps with the texture. By adding natural gums, ice cream is less likely to melt and when it does melt, the fat and water don't break out of emulsion, so when the ice cream re-freezes it doesn't turn icy.
    Yeah, but even still, I've had homemade ice cream, and I think the difference in how long each one takes to melt is close to being negligible.

obviously it makes a difference or they wouldn't be making it the way they make it.

I made ice cream when I was 5 years old- put it in a coffee can and we kicked it around the school yard... seems like a horribly inefficient way to make ice cream- and it certainly wasn't as good as my turkey hill moose tracks.

Just because there is a more simple way to do something doesn't make it automatically better.

Riding a horse is simpler than building a car- but yet we all drive cars now a day because it's more efficient.

Picking up a log is more simple than adding weights to a barbell... but again- not as efficient.

so no- more simple =/= BETTER.
    thank god.

just ignore mr. I cant bulk because bla bla bla and then complains about how small he is..
  • asiawilson_
    Options
    On the back of bluebell ice cream just for an example. High fructose corn syrup, carrageenan, annatto color are all bad additives that cause health problems.

What health problems?

You may want to check what those things are btw before you jump down the 'oh noes' its bad route.
    Look up dangers of high fructose corn syrup. Learn what the ingredients in the food actually are.
  • ndj1979
    Options

What health problems?

You may want to check what those things are btw before you jump down the 'oh noes' its bad route.
    Look up dangers of high fructose corn syrup. Learn what the ingredients in the food actually are.
    LOL you are never going to gain weight with the attitude that you have about food...
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup is a fancy name for a form of sugar. Consumption is not the health issue, OVER consumption of it (and pretty much anything else) is the health issue (it was added to lots of things). By itself is not "unhealthy" any more than plain sugar or your wonderful fruit sugar is.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Alden's Ice Cream:

Ingredients:
    Pasturiazed Organic Milk and Cream, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Roasted Peanuts, Organic Chocolate Liquor and Cocoa Butter, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Vanilla Extract, Organic Tapioca Starch, Non-GMO Soy Lecithin, Guar Gum, Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum.

What are the natural flavors listed in the ice cream products?

The "natural flavors" when used, listed in the ingredient statements of our Alden's or Julie's Organic products vary per flavor. They are typically concentrated extracts or essential oils from fruits, vegetables and other plant matter. Things like strawberry juice concentrate, coffee concentrate, and peppermint oil are commonly accepted ingredients. Most of our ingredient vendor's formulas are considered proprietary information but we receive Continuing Letters of Guarantee stating there are no hidden allergens or organically unacceptable ingredients.

Lecithin is listed in Alden's Organic ingredient statement. What is it?

Lecithin is an all-natural food component commonly found in oil seeds and egg yolks. The source of the lecithin used in Alden's Ice Cream is from certified non-GMO soybeans, and is compliant to Organic standards.

So what does soybean lecithin have to do with ice cream?

We want Alden's ice cream to be consistently rich and creamy. Lecithin acts as an emulsifier, which means it brings fat and water together, stabilizing the frozen foam of ice cream. This translates to a smooth, velvety texture that limits such ‘freezer-burn' defects as coarse or icy. We hope you'll agree that our Alden's formula is rich and creamy, and that it has good shelf-life in your home freezer.

Is Soy Lecithin safe or healthy?

This ultimately is a decision you must make for yourself, but we think the nutrition science behind soy lecithin is well understood and supportive of good health. Pure and simple, soy lecithin is a rich source of Choline (Phosphatidylcholine), which is needed in all cell membranes. Some people take soy lecithin as a dietary supplement to reduce cholesterol or for other heart health benefits. Because soy lecithin is extracted from soybean oil and is highly refined, it does not contain soy protein and is generally considered a low risk for allergenic response.

There are several emulsification ingredients listed in the ingredient statements of Alden's Organic products. What are they?

We use multiple emulsification ingredients in our Alden's Organic products to ensure the ice creams and frozen desserts are of the highest quality for our consumers.

Tapioca Starch: is a natural starch taken from the root of the tapioca plant. It is a carbohydrate thickener that helps Alden's ice cream be smooth and creamy.

Carob Gum/Locust Bean Gum: is a vegetable gum extracted from the seeds of the carob tree. Alden's Organic uses it as an ingredient which inhibits the growth of ice crystals during storage.

Guar Gum: is primarily the ground endosperm (tissue produced in the seeds of most flowering plants around the time of fertilization) of guar beans. It helps maintain homogeneity and texture of our Alden's Organic ice creams. Guar gum slows down ice crystal growth in Alden's Organic as well.

Xanthan Gum: is produced by natural fermentation of glucose or sucrose by the Xanthomonas campestris bacterium. Xanthan gum helps create and maintain the pleasant texture in our Alden's Organic ice creams.

Pectin: is contained in the primary cell walls of plants. It is produced commercially from citrus fruits, and is used as a gelling agent in fruit products like jams, jellies and our organic strawberries and blackberries. Like many of our all our natural ingredients, it is a source of dietary fiber.

Still think it's junk food or unhealthy?
  • asiawilson_
    Options
    Alden's Ice Cream:

Ingredients:
    Pasturiazed Organic Milk and Cream, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Roasted Peanuts, Organic Chocolate Liquor and Cocoa Butter, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Vanilla Extract, Organic Tapioca Starch, Non-GMO Soy Lecithin, Guar Gum, Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum.

The "natural flavors" when used, listed in the ingredient statements of our Alden's or Julie's Organic products vary per flavor. They are typically concentrated extracts or essential oils from fruits, vegetables and other plant matter. Things like strawberry juice concentrate, coffee concentrate, and peppermint oil are commonly accepted ingredients. Most of our ingredient vendor's formulas are considered proprietary information but we receive Continuing Letters of Guarantee stating there are no hidden allergens or organically unacceptable ingredients.

Lecithin is an all-natural food component commonly found in oil seeds and egg yolks. The source of the lecithin used in Alden's Ice Cream is from certified non-GMO soybeans, and is compliant to Organic standards.

We want Alden's ice cream to be consistently rich and creamy. Lecithin acts as an emulsifier, which means it brings fat and water together, stabilizing the frozen foam of ice cream. This translates to a smooth, velvety texture that limits such ‘freezer-burn' defects as coarse or icy. We hope you'll agree that our Alden's formula is rich and creamy, and that it has good shelf-life in your home freezer.

This ultimately is a decision you must make for yourself, but we think the nutrition science behind soy lecithin is well understood and supportive of good health. Pure and simple, soy lecithin is a rich source of Choline (Phosphatidylcholine), which is needed in all cell membranes. Some people take soy lecithin as a dietary supplement to reduce cholesterol or for other heart health benefits. Because soy lecithin is extracted from soybean oil and is highly refined, it does not contain soy protein and is generally considered a low risk for allergenic response.

There are several emulsification ingredients listed in the ingredient statements of Alden's Organic products. What are they?

We use multiple emulsification ingredients in our Alden's Organic products to ensure the ice creams and frozen desserts are of the highest quality for our consumers.

Tapioca Starch: is a natural starch taken from the root of the tapioca plant. It is a carbohydrate thickener that helps Alden's ice cream be smooth and creamy.

Carob Gum/Locust Bean Gum: is a vegetable gum extracted from the seeds of the carob tree. Alden's Organic uses it as an ingredient which inhibits the growth of ice crystals during storage.

Guar Gum: is primarily the ground endosperm (tissue produced in the seeds of most flowering plants around the time of fertilization) of guar beans. It helps maintain homogeneity and texture of our Alden's Organic ice creams. Guar gum slows down ice crystal growth in Alden's Organic as well.

Xanthan Gum: is produced by natural fermentation of glucose or sucrose by the Xanthomonas campestris bacterium. Xanthan gum helps create and maintain the pleasant texture in our Alden's Organic ice creams.

Pectin: is contained in the primary cell walls of plants. It is produced commercially from citrus fruits, and is used as a gelling agent in fruit products like jams, jellies and our organic strawberries and blackberries. Like many of our all our natural ingredients, it is a source of dietary fiber.

It's better than others. I would definitely eat that brand if I could eat casein
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Read the ***** ingredients on any ice cream. They are full of additives

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.
    I'm not saying that those ingredients are bad, but she is right--they are additives.

What is your definition of an additive?

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. Maybe the natural flavor could stay, but I doubt anyone eating that ice-cream could tell whether or not they added the gum. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

Or you could actually research why they put gum in ice cream. It's just a stabiliser. It helps with the texture. By adding natural gums, ice cream is less likely to melt and when it does melt, the fat and water don't break out of emulsion, so when the ice cream re-freezes it doesn't turn icy.
    Yeah, but even still, I've had homemade ice cream, and I think the difference in how long each one takes to melt is close to being negligible.

Then by your definition, its not an additive.
    I thought the opposite; if each one takes about the same time to melt, there isn't really a purpose in adding the gum. So, it's really not significantly enhancing anything.

Reread your definition - missed the 'or that would' part.

Its still rather nebulous and subjective and grey. It also misses the common usage when people refer to additives - they usually refer to 'artificial' ones.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

What health problems?

Why don't you tell me as you are the one that knows all about this stuff apparently.

I will wait..
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Look it up where? Dr. Google?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Why is gaining weight such a hard subject for people w/o ED? It would like having Christmas every day if I had this goal
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ok, so now its only some ice-creams that are junk and contain teh chemicals and toxinzzz.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    eat more pasta and rice
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Alden's Ice Cream:

Ingredients:

It's better than others. I would definitely eat that brand if I could eat casein
    I agree that it certainly looks like one of the better brands out there.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why is gaining weight such a hard subject for people w/o ED? It would like having Christmas every day if I had this goal

for realz...I am coming up on the end of my bulk and I am going to miss the 3100 calories a day ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    eat more pasta and rice

OP is allergic to wheat...
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dr Google took me to MayoClinic who say:

"High-fructose corn syrup is a common sweetener in sodas and fruit-flavored drinks. As use of high-fructose corn syrup has increased, so have levels of obesity and related health problems, leading some to wonder if there's a connection.

Research has shown that high-fructose corn syrup is chemically similar to table sugar. Controversy exists, however, about whether or not the body handles high-fructose corn syrup differently than table sugar.

At this time, there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners. We do know, however, that too much added sugar — not just high-fructose corn syrup — can contribute unwanted calories that are linked to health problems, such as weight gain, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and high triglyceride levels. All of these boost your risk of heart disease.

The American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than 100 calories a day from added sugar from any source, and that most men get no more than 150 calories a day from added sugar. That's about 6 teaspoons of added sugar for women and 9 teaspoons for men.
    "

So sugar=sugar=sugar... no more harmful than table or your fruit sugar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    slomo22 wrote: »
    eat more pasta and rice

OP is allergic to wheat...

and apparently common sense.
    So no more harmful than your fruit sugar.
    hysterical given the OP is a fruititarian.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wait, if fructose is bad, why the 80-10-10?