edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^?

Edit. The question mark was for milaxx
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP- you're saying you only ate that one meal per day right? The Wendys? [/qu
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP- you're saying you only ate that one meal per day right? The Wendys?

Yes. I would swing by on my way to work.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.

So you gained weight.....by eating less than 1533 calories?

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.

Please explain how you gained weight from stored, unused calories by eating less than what you need to survive in a coma.

If I knew, I wouldn't be having these questions. Lord knows I know how people on these forums are and how hateful and judgemental they can be, but what I have said is the absolute truth. Unless, while I slept, someone force feed me cheesburger and pie. Or I slept at. When I tracked for the 3 months I thought maybe I was mindlessly snacking so I was very observant to log what I ate. I'm a big coffee drinker which always staved off hunger.

You're claiming you violated scientific principles, then wonder why people question it?

Do you drink your coffee black? How many soft drinks per day?

I never wondered why people question. They are people. It's pretty much what we do.

I take non dairy creamer and sugar in my coffee, which I always account for. I haven't had a soda in about 10 years.

Yet you drink Wendy's sweet tea ...

And people question things because it's completely implausible ... more accurately, its scientifically impossible.

• chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find when I eat healthy food, my body tells me to stop well before I'm full. I love healthy food too but just cannot overeat brussel sprouts. On the other hand, fast food hamburger and fries, I will eat it until it's gone. I agree that it's unlikely you were correctly estimating your calories but lets not argue this one because the objective here is for you to feel good and eat healthy right. So, I say(my totally not expert opinion) eat and if you start feeling full, stop. Then, whether you feel your appetite or not, go ahead and eat a few hours later. And if you haven't already, add some exercise to your plan and it is likely your appetite will return full force. Then get a food scale and log weights over volume measurements and see how you do. You want to be healthy and really, its healthy and normal to want to eat and need food. Also, I have read (but do your own research on this as it was prob a woman's magazine playing lose with facts) that third shift work can elevate hormones that make it tougher(though not impossible) to regulate weight. Good luck! I'm eating at 1200 and still slagging to lose 20, feel free to add me if you want.
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    milaxx wrote: »
    A few things might help. when I was a regular coffee drinker I could easily fill up on that and nothing else. Try reducing the amount of coffee you drink by half or even doing without it altogether. Coffee will often give you the illusion of fullness.

You can even cut your salmon down to 3 ounces instead of 5. Are you able to exercise at all? Even just a brisk 30 minute walk?

I gained in part not from eating unhealthy but eating irregularly. The body gets confused and as a result holds onto every single calorie. Also make sure you are logging all your seasonings. too much sodium will hinder weight loss like crazy.

OH! Seasonings! Crap! Never even thought to log those! I don't salt anything but I do use those premixed seasons sometimes! Thanks for the suggestion! =) I am totally physically able to exercise I just have a mental block on that right now as I am tired and it's cold..lol. I do plan to walk in the gym at work after my shift in the mornings. Adding that next week, week 2.

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong. It is not physically possible to become significantly overweight from eating such a low number of calories.
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    High calorie dense foods .. that is what you need to do if you are having problems eating enough calories. But 1500 is not much .. so I doubt it is really a big issue. I think your issue is mental and not really the food. I did 2882 today, with no junk. You do not have to eat **** to get your calories up there. It is not bad if you fill your day with calorie dense food. Google is your friend .. there is a great list of the highest calorie foods .. should be easy to find with a quick search.

I'll look up so this evening at work. Thanks so much!
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Congratz on being magic. I'll bet you'll get accepted into Hogwarts this year.

Yea, magic is awesome but Hogwarts is lame. I'll be here working on my level 9 meteor swarm. ;)
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.

So you gained weight.....by eating less than 1533 calories?

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.

Please explain how you gained weight from stored, unused calories by eating less than what you need to survive in a coma.

If I knew, I wouldn't be having these questions. Lord knows I know how people on these forums are and how hateful and judgemental they can be, but what I have said is the absolute truth. Unless, while I slept, someone force feed me cheesburger and pie. Or I slept at. When I tracked for the 3 months I thought maybe I was mindlessly snacking so I was very observant to log what I ate. I'm a big coffee drinker which always staved off hunger.

You're claiming you violated scientific principles, then wonder why people question it?

Do you drink your coffee black? How many soft drinks per day?

I never wondered why people question. They are people. It's pretty much what we do.

I take non dairy creamer and sugar in my coffee, which I always account for. I haven't had a soda in about 10 years.

Yet you drink Wendy's sweet tea ...

And people question things because it's completely implausible ... more accurately, its scientifically impossible.

Yes because it's sweet tea and not soda. I like sweet tea. I don't like soda.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work when you used to stop and get something before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods.

How is it confusing? Food isn't the only way we consume calories. Things like soda, juice, coffee and alcohol can really impact your caloric intake, and thus your weight.

OP, I'd request a copy of your blood work, so you can see the numbers yourself. I do agree you can't gain weight unless you're eating at a surplus - barring any medical issues *or* medication side effects. So maybe it's time for a second opinion.

In the mean time, pre-log your days, so you can get as close to your goals as necessary before you even take a bite. Allow yourself some treats in there - they won't hurt your progress and finally, if you are still short, don't forget you can drink your calories, too :)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work when you used to stop and get something before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods.

How is it confusing? Food isn't the only way we consume calories. Things like soda, juice, coffee and alcohol can really impact your caloric intake, and thus your weight.

OP, I'd request a copy of your blood work, so you can see the numbers yourself. I do agree you can't gain weight unless you're eating at a surplus - barring any medical issues *or* medication side effects. So maybe it's time for a second opinion.

In the mean time, pre-log your days, so you can get as close to your goals as necessary before you even take a bite. Allow yourself some treats in there - they won't hurt your progress and finally, if you are still short, don't forget you can drink your calories, too :)

It's confusing because she said she's full on only 538 calories in her day when she had to have eaten much more than that previously to gain weight. If you eat a couple thousand calories at least on a daily basis for a long period of time how does suddenly dropping to 538 make you more full? Even with more nutrient dense foods it doesn't make sense.

Also, she said she included liquid beverages in her calorie count when she estimated her daily 800 to 1000 calories when she was gaining weight. You don't gain weight or maintain high weight on that little unless you have a medical condition. It looks like you and I are on the same page there. Not sure why you're confused that I'm confused.

Maybe she does have a medical issue, but if she doesn't, she was severely under counting her calories when she monitored them during that three month period.

• JanBran1
    JanBran1 Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I started logging my foods, I was surprised at how many calories had been hidden in my diet,

-Wendy's Sweet Tea - large is 190 calories
    - coffee with two sugars and two spoons of creamer is about 48 calories
    - If you have been drinking one sweet tea, and four coffees every day that is around 380+ calories
    The bacon Cb - a minimum of 400 calories
    Wendy's medium fries - 410 calories

That is around 1200 calories. Add in any tastes, snacks, bites, seasoning etc you may have forgotten - Perhaps you have just been under estimating the number of calories you are consuming.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No one here is being hateful or judgmental. I was asking a legitimate question because posts like this always confuse me. You were likely getting more calories from coffee than you realized, but you simply could not have gained weight on 800 to 1000 calories...science.

Oh, I wasn't implying anyone has. Just I know how it can go downhill very fast..lol. Seen it done on just about every post that anyone not an expert has posted for questions or help. Here is a breakdown of my typical 24 hr period when I worked: (when I wasn't trying to lose)
    Wendy's JR bacon CB
    Wendy's med fry
    Wendy's large sweet tea
    3-4 cups coffee
    each cup w/ 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp non dairy creamer
    lots and lots of water ( i love my water)

Wendy's JR bacon CB - 370 cals
    Wendy's med fry- 410 cals
    Wendy's large sweet tea- 190 cals
    3-4 cups coffee -0 cals
    each cup w/ 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp non dairy creamer - 20 cals (depending on the creamer, possibly 100 cals).
    lots and lots of water

That is already over 1000 cals. And the calorie amounts for the Wendy's items are without any extras (pickles, mustard, katsup etc) so if you added those the calories would be even more. Besides, no item is made identical so these are more averages than exact.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Yea, magic is awesome but Hogwarts is lame. I'll be here working on my level 9 meteor swarm. ;)

Just don't be mad when a flock of owls poop on your doorstep
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    JanBran1 wrote: »
    When I started logging my foods, I was surprised at how many calories had been hidden in my diet,

-Wendy's Sweet Tea - large is 190 calories
    - coffee with two sugars and two spoons of creamer is about 48 calories
    - If you have been drinking one sweet tea, and four coffees every day that is around 380+ calories
    The bacon Cb - a minimum of 400 calories
    Wendy's medium fries - 410 calories

That is around 1200 calories. Add in any tastes, snacks, bites, seasoning etc you may have forgotten - Perhaps you have just been under estimating the number of calories you are consuming.

That may be the problem as I would use what MFP had for calories for those items. And my coffee, is 62 the way I drink it I think. I think when I would total it all, if I had the full 4 coffees, it was under 1200 but again, the 800-1000 was an average. Some days I had no coffee. Some days I had a bowl of soup. Some days someone had a birthday and I had a piece of cake the size of my head...lol. Anyway, we will assume that what I logged as my caloric intake was wrong. My point of my post was that at 538 calories, I was full and was wondering if anyone else had the same trouble getting their calories in. I really do appreciate everyone's advice, suggestions and any help given. A person can't get better at anything if they aren't open right? =)

• fotofreak01
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No one here is being hateful or judgmental. I was asking a legitimate question because posts like this always confuse me. You were likely getting more calories from coffee than you realized, but you simply could not have gained weight on 800 to 1000 calories...science.

Oh, I wasn't implying anyone has. Just I know how it can go downhill very fast..lol. Seen it done on just about every post that anyone not an expert has posted for questions or help. Here is a breakdown of my typical 24 hr period when I worked: (when I wasn't trying to lose)
    Wendy's JR bacon CB
    Wendy's med fry
    Wendy's large sweet tea
    3-4 cups coffee
    each cup w/ 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp non dairy creamer
    lots and lots of water ( i love my water)

Wendy's JR bacon CB - 370 cals
    Wendy's med fry- 410 cals
    Wendy's large sweet tea- 190 cals
    3-4 cups coffee -0 cals
    each cup w/ 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp non dairy creamer - 20 cals (depending on the creamer, possibly 100 cals).
    lots and lots of water

That is already over 1000 cals. And the calorie amounts for the Wendy's items are without any extras (pickles, mustard, katsup etc) so if you added those the calories would be even more. Besides, no item is made identical so these are more averages than exact.

I assumed that the calorie count was counting however the sandwich was sold. Like, w/ the mayo, lettuce and tomato already figured in so I'm sure there is a lot of calories in that I did not account for. I guess it's better to break down already prepared foods, like I do my meals I cook at home? Like, if I go out to eat instead of grabbing the first burger I see on the list itemize it out? That makes a bit more sense. Thank you! =)
  • fotofreak01
    Options

Just don't be mad when a flock of owls poop on your doorstep

That'd be great! I always need them for my Owl's Wisdom save! :p

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am or if I am simply a freak of nature. Here's my problem; I work midnights so my day usually starts between 3 and 4 pm. Today, 3. Had a cup of coffee. At 5 I had a hard boiled egg. I just finished dinner which consisted of salmon, couscous and veggies. (I keep my dairy open to the public if you want to look at quantities) I log my food before I sit down to eat it. Otherwise I am afraid I may forget weights or amounts or something. I weigh and measure everything. I was not able to eat everything on my plate because I felt myself getting too full. I will take a plate of the same stuff to work this evening for lunch. The problem is all this food is making me so full and just a little bit miserable. I always only ate one meal I picked up at a fast food joint on my way to work. Did that for years. I'm hoping that just like those that have cut calories due to over eating, eventually, my body will get used to the extra meal times and I won't feel so icky. Anyone else in the same boat?

Eh, why are you forcing yourself to eat food that makes you feel icky? How about eating foods that make you feel happy, but in smaller portions so that they fit within your calorie limits? If you tell us your TDEE and how many meals you'd like to fit in a day, I bet we can come up with some yummy food options that won't make you feel icky. I eat Five Guys Little Bacon Cheeseburgers when I want them, and it totally fits within my calorie budget!

I have learned that, for me, "icky" eating is not sustainable eating. I try to go for "super-yummy" eating in smaller portions. Brie? Check. Bacon? Check. Wine? Check. I eat all the things I like but I'm just not eating mindless junk food in between, and weight loss is surprisingly easy without feeling like I'm being starved or cheated. Yey!

Please share a bit more info about your calorie goals as well as your ability to eat 3 meals a day and MFP folks can provide a bit more helpful info! :smiley:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options

When and how did you track that? It looks like you log on MFP for a few days, then stop, then log for a few days. Most people (myself included) tend to eat more on days they don't log. It isn't intentional - but there's a pretty big subconscious bias.

Either way - you know that you do best when you eat ~1500 calories per day, so maybe pre-planning a single meal or two meals that use your whole calorie allotment is the best choice for digestive discomfort. Add a little butter to your couscous or roast your sprouts with some oil or something.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't think you're being rude. I don't get how people become overweight struggling to eat 500-1000 calories either...... It make no sense at all...