How much weight loss to see a noticeable difference!?

Options

Replies

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is if you carry most of your weight on your upper body. If so, then you may have lost most of the weight from your arms, chest, waist and even upper hips and maybe not a lot from lower, so your pants sizes don't change.

I've gained 40 lbs over the past few years, and I have always worn size 9-10 (US), some brands 8, but rare, and some brands 11. Even with the 40 lbs extra I wore 11, 12 mostly and some brands 13. That's only about 2 sizes I went up, but it's because most of my weight went to above where I wear my pants. Some went below, obviously, that's why I had to step up the 2 sizes.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You've lost 25% of your bodyweight and they haven't noticed?

What do their guide dogs think?

Okay, I admit it, this made me laugh.

I started out at a very high weight, 220, and have lost 21 pounds, and nobody else has noticed, but I notice. It's just little things. For instance, last night, after a very busy, productive day, I lay down on my back on the couch to watch TV, and all of a sudden, it hit me: my upper chest and chin were not pushing against one another. I wasn't feeling as if I were suffocating.

I'm also noticing that in comparison to the rest of me, my waist is beginning to dip in. I'm getting "a shape" again.

• shalanaowens5
    Options
    I would love LOVE love to be 112 lbs.... You need to be proud of you're accomplishments. You definitely need ALoT of self esteem and encouragement. Everyone is made beautiful...start loving yourself!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Brand sizing in the uk is different between stores, brands and ranges

I simply can't believe at your stats you are a uk 12, I'm 4 inches taller,weigh 168 and am a uk 10-12

I think you have body dysmporphia, you have a BMI of 19.2, a target of the lowest possible healthy range BMI at 18.5, your profile pic looks extremely thin and you need to get outside, objective help
  • 4jakmj
    4jakmj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess you have wide hips, being a female with no change in clothing size with weight loss, it is a high probability. At my lowest weight of 5'7" and 135 pounds, I still wore a size 13 in jrs. So definitely possible. I would suggest another scale to verify that you lost the weight and proceed from there. 112 is a amazing weight!!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Who really cares who notices, right?

You can't live your life based on what other folks think. It's a recipe for constant misery if you do.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can relate a little

When I initally started loosing weight a few years ago I wore a UK 12, but I was more like a 14 and just forcing myself into the smaller size. Then I lost about 30lbs and would up more 10/12. So I wouldn't count my success by the size on my tag but by the inches I lost and the difference in my body composition.

Honestly tracking inches and taking progress photos can be so important if you cant visually see a difference. You can't possibly lose 42lbs and not have some difference in measurements.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    fatfox13 wrote: »
    I'm doing it for myself because I hate myself and I thought by losing this amount it would have started to notice
    I bought a fitted sequin dress to wear in New York for New Year's Eve (I was on holiday with my friend) be ause I'd never worn anything like it before but (stupidly) thought I could pull it off as I'd lost 3 stone....My friends face was a picture when I stepped out of the hotel room and said it didn't look ok and suggested I wore something else :( He has been my friend for 10yrs so I trust him.

These two comments rang alarm bells for me.

As well as working on our body in order to feel better, sometimes we need to work on our head too. You sound like you have very low self esteem and saying you 'hate yourself' isn't good. You should love yourself no matter what and certainly the weight you have lost is an amazing achievement.

Why did your friend think you didn't look ok in your dress? It could have been nothing whatsoever to do with your weight and just that he didn't like that style or maybe because you say you'd never have worn anything like it before it was just a surprise to see you in it. But all of this is unimportant really, as what matters is how YOU felt about it, you bought it and stepped out the hotel room in it, so you likely felt it looked fine on you. You were looking for reassurance which we all need from time to time but never forget that the only opinion that really matters when it comes to how you look, is yours.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for myself because I hate myself

I missed this reading through last night.

Forget weight loss and other people's approval.

love yourself NOW.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get new friends!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    After reading your profile and your responses: you stopped taking your depression meds, you hide in over sized clothes, talk about being disgusting, you really need to go talk to your therapist
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    After reading your profile and your responses: you stopped taking your depression meds, you hide in over sized clothes, talk about being disgusting, you really need to go talk to your therapist

Agreed, I meant to include this in my response too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

QFT!
  • Twinkie2530
    Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you have other issues you need to address besides losing weight. You need to learn how to love yourself and the body you are in regardless of size. I have lost 11 pounds of fat but gained 5 pounds of muscle. Not many people notice that, but I do! I'm stronger and fitter and my clothes are loose. My boyfriend has noticed, but he sees me without my clothes on. I can run faster and longer and completed two 5k in the past 2 months. I can dead lift 135 pounds! Be proud of your accomplishments and forget the opinions of others!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    4jakmj wrote: »
    I am going to guess you have wide hips, being a female with no change in clothing size with weight loss, it is a high probability. At my lowest weight of 5'7" and 135 pounds, I still wore a size 13 in jrs. So definitely possible. I would suggest another scale to verify that you lost the weight and proceed from there. 112 is a amazing weight!!!

This is irrelevant. Wide hips would just result in the starting size being larger than a similar person at that weight. It wouldn't mean that the size can't decrease. The only reason I can think of for it not to decrease is that she had no extra weight in her stomach at all to begin with.

I have extremely wide hips. I've never seen anyone with wider hips than me naturally based solely on bone structure. I'm also 5'4". I lost 35 pounds, went from 140 lbs to 105lbs and went from a size 12/14 to a size 2 in American sizes. Everyone noticed. They didn't say anything initially, but eventually lots of people did.

I really can't imagine there is absolutely no difference and her weight loss was more than mine. Really need to see before and after pics.

I'm baffled by her size not decreasing though.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance that you are too thin and your family doesn't want to seem to be encouraging the weight loss?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance that you are too thin and your family doesn't want to seem to be encouraging the weight loss?

so, they lie and tell her she looks exactly the same? wouldn't that cause the opposite effect?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am sure they have noticed. I'd almost bet money on it. Seriously.

For whatever reason they just are not commenting.

I bet you could fit into much smaller clothing. Have you tried on smaller things recently?

Also, a lot of people say they didn't get comments until they were wearing new smaller clothing. That might be the case.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It does sound odd that the weight loss is not noticeable, especially the clothes size part. I agree with some of the other posters that clothes size often is different between the various manufacturers. Would you feel comfortable posting a picture of yourself prior to weight loss and then a recent one?

For myself, I stated my journey at 212 and I am now at 191. Within the last 5 lbs, I have had comments from my co-workers that my pants are getting too baggy. I work in a professional environment, so this meant it was time to look in my closet for the next size down or shop.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Family noticed after a stone well less than that my grandad noticed after 6 pounds.. My boss said once I had lost 2 stone have you lost weight?!