How much weight loss to see a noticeable difference!?

Options

Replies

• fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Curious - did you go off the depression meds by yourself or suddenly, or did your doctor step you down gradually?

I came off them gradually because my dr could see how unhappy I was by the weight gain - she even prescribed me Orlestat because I had gotten so big, but I didn't take it, it's not healthy and I wanted to do things the proper way and dieting gave me something to focus on xo

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    fatfox13 wrote: »
    Curious - did you go off the depression meds by yourself or suddenly, or did your doctor step you down gradually?

I came off them gradually because my dr could see how unhappy I was by the weight gain - she even prescribed me Orlestat because I had gotten so big, but I didn't take it, it's not healthy and I wanted to do things the proper way and dieting gave me something to focus on xo

That's good!

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When you lose slowly and your friends and family see your everyday... well they won't notice. Even at 42lbs. Now try meeting someone who you haven't seen in 2 years - they WILL notice, I promise.

For me, I noticed a difference at 20lbs and at 30lbs people said something. They may have noticed before that, but it's sort of rude to say to someone 'have you lost weight?', it's much easier to say 'you've definitely lost weight!' and for that to happen... it took 30lbs.

Measurements and photographs are a great way - other than the scale - to track your progress. Look at an old photo and you're bound to see a difference! RE clothes sizes, I was wearing TIGHT size 20 trousers when I started, so it took me 40lbs to drop to a size 18 - but like I said, people I only saw occasionally noticed and said something before that.

RE your weight loss goals, honey you're a NORMAL, thin-thin-thin size, maybe even a little UNDERweight. Maybe your boy 'friend' has issues of his own if he didn't want you wearing that dress in public. Get that dress out the closet right now and put it on, then go out somewhere with a different friend and see what kind of reaction you get. You'll have fun + you'll get a million complements. Just go be you!
  • Heussaff89
    Options
    Hi all, I know everyone is different, but how much weight do you think one would need to lose for other people to really notice that you've lost weight? I've lost a total of 3stone so far (aka 42lbs - going from 154lbs to 112lbs) and my family, friends and colleagues haven't noticed!! I don't think I look much different and I'm still a uk clothes size 12-14....I don't get it?? :(

Wow, amazing result! Congratz! I knew sometimes if ppl always meet u everyday they dont realize changes on ur body, But it must be so weird that they didnt realized u lose weight, in fact you lose so many like 42 lbs! Must be so much difference...
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds and couldn't tell the difference because I was to big. Still wear the same clothes, and still look the same. Don't look like I've lost a single pound to me. No one noticed, guess it depends on your body type to see weight loss. It takes me several several several pounds to lose for people to notice my weight lose.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds but haven't dropped a size. My clothes are definitely more loose, though.

I'm a US 14. My co-worker, who weighs the same as I do (we are both 5'4" and weigh 163) is a US 8.

She is much broader than I am through the shoulders and ribcage even though my boobs are bigger than hers, and she is straight as a board from her waist to her knees, while I have a well-defined waist and much bigger hips. She's a classic rectangle shape and I am a classic hourglass shape.

I was amazed to find out that we were the same weight but 4 clothing sizes different.

OP, you look fantastic in all your pictures. No reason to feel ugly or fat. I agree with everyone who is suggesting you see a therapist for eating disorder issues.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your brain has not caught up and you have lost weight and sizes but your mind makes you believe it hasn't.

There is no really way for you to have lost over 42lbs and not have lost a clothing size.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Brand sizing in the uk is different between stores, brands and ranges

I simply can't believe at your stats you are a uk 12, I'm 4 inches taller,weigh 168 and am a uk 10-12

I think you have body dysmporphia, you have a BMI of 19.2, a target of the lowest possible healthy range BMI at 18.5, your profile pic looks extremely thin and you need to get outside, objective help

This. Something is off. I'm 5'4" and 139 and even a UK 12 (US 10??) would be big on me.

Please don't lose any more weight. Do you have any photos to compare?

What's off is she really needs to get with her therapist, she's stopped taking her depression meds from her profile

And this.

You look beautiful in all 3 photos. You likely cannot see this truth due to body dysmorphia. Please see a therapist or at least join a support group. You are (and were!) a beautiful young woman.

Why not consider Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)? Also, you may wish to take the BDD quiz below to see if you are at risk for Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

Please take care of your spirit, and find some help.

http://www.adaa.org/finding-help/treatment/therapy

http://www.rhodeislandhospital.org/services/body-dysmorphic-disorder-program/questionnaires/screening-questionnaire-for-adults-do-I-have-BDD.html
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You are thin!

You absolutely don't need to lose any more weight

Set your calories at maintenance, or slightly above, go to the gym and start a heavy lifting programme, add in a little cardio and get yourself fit and strong

With that comes inner confidence, which is the only thing you need.

You need to be able to strut girl...you are beautiful and so caught up in not being good enough that you don't realise quite how much you have already.

Strength in the body can help you get stronger in the mind

• mariaoutlook
    Options
    I have wider shoulders and hips and people around me do not seem to notice if I put weight on/ lose weight either.

It's not about being skinny, it's about being healthy. The "eatwell plate", 1/3 of veggies + 1/3 proteins + 1/3 healthy fats and carbs, drink plenty of water and daily exercise, should be our goal.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    So back to the OP and when others notice. They really don't if they live/work with you if you do it right. It comes off slow ...it is amazing how people who haven't seen you will notice a lot. Next, freakin' clothing sizes. Just buy what fits, looks great, and makes you feel great. There are several posts on how stupid clothing manufacturers can't get these standardized.
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I lost a bunch of weight because I became quite ill. Then several years ago I lost weight in a healthy way, lots of muscle, great shape. I was 10lbs heavier when I lost it the healthy way and wore 2 pants sizes smaller. Work on some muscle.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    As said near the begining of this thread, your weight is fine, but, espescially after seeing the photos of you, you would probably benifit from doing some weight bearing/bodyweight exercises to help re-shape your body.
    People will not notice your weight loss if they are seeing you every day and you are wearing the same clothes.

I completely understand the party dress, I go on cruises and the dresses that looked good on me the first week look awful the 2nd week with only 3-4lb water weight gain, so for you, if you were a little bloated on the night you were wearing the dress, it probably wouldn't have looked as good as the day you bought it.
    And yes one can see the weight difference in the photos.

Lift things that are heavy, for you, then make them heavier. It really will help.

Cheers, h.
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok I've just taken a waist measurement and I have gained an inch since December 1st 2014 despite having lost 9lbs! I feel physically sick...I'm definitely not losing any weight here, I'm clearly losing muscle only! I distraught after all my hard work, I think I'm going to ask my doctor for his advice and see if I can join an NHS weight watcher type programme because clearly I can't do anything successfully by myself! This is so frustraighting and disheartening. All that hard work for nothing. Thanks for your in put though guys and congrats to you all for managing to do so well and look fantastic xxx
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ok I've just taken a waist measurement and I have gained an inch since December 1st 2014 despite having lost 9lbs! I feel physically sick...I'm definitely not losing any weight here, I'm clearly losing muscle only! I distraught after all my hard work, I think I'm going to ask my doctor for his advice and see if I can join an NHS weight watcher type programme because clearly I can't do anything successfully by myself! This is so frustraighting and disheartening. All that hard work for nothing. Thanks for your in put though guys and congrats to you all for managing to do so well and look fantastic xxx

There is no way your Dr is going to send you anywhere to lose weight, if they do they should be struck off! Please get help about your body image, you are not fat and do not need to lose weight!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Don't be disheartened. You lost a lot of weight and you look beautiful. You can still work on your physique! But I hope you work on your self-esteem and attitude too. Both are a challenge, I know.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I doubt you gained an inch. I'm more/less bloated depending on time of the day. I'm guessing my measurement fluctuates. Measuring yourself is also very prone to human error.

You really need to give yourself a break. Based on those pictures, you look fantastic.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

I doubt you gained an inch. I'm more/less bloated depending on time of the day. I'm guessing my measurement fluctuates. It's also very prone to human error.

You really need to give yourself a break. Based on those pictures, you look fantastic.

Right. The other night I ate 7 rice cakes and drank two glasses of tea and for some reason decided to measure my waist. An inch bigger. I had no idea measurements could fluctuate like that. But it was back to normal in the morning.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Even if all of that 9 lb weight loss was due to muscle loss, you would not gain an inch unless you then went on to gain pounds in fat. I just highly doubt this happened between December and now when the scale weight went down.
  • liebestagebuch
    liebestagebuch Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Couldn't you ask to switch to a different anti depressant? I was scared about putting on weight and my doctor prescribed me one that doesn't cause weight gain as a side effect (or at least it is very uncommon for it to do so). They shouldn't have taken you off altogether if the underlying problem behind your depression wasn't solved.