How much weight loss to see a noticeable difference!?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE A BMI OF 19

And a disordered eating problem

Yes see a doctor, but for help with your ED

Because your life can be so much better than this ..it's an illness and you need to fight it

And the next person who offers you weight loss advice simply hasn't read the thread...
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    YOU HAVE A BMI OF 19

Because your life can be so much better than this ..it's an illness and you need to fight it

And the next person who offers you weight loss advice simply hasn't read the thread...

I don't have an eating disorder, I eat healthy meals and occasionally treat myself to a bag of crisps or a Small chocolate bar as a special treat on the weekend - I don't believe in deprivation of treats as that's more likely to cause you to fall off the wagon and have a binge
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fatfox13 wrote: »
    Ok I've just taken a waist measurement and I have gained an inch since December 1st 2014 despite having lost 9lbs! I feel physically sick...I'm definitely not losing any weight here, I'm clearly losing muscle only! I distraught after all my hard work, I think I'm going to ask my doctor for his advice and see if I can join an NHS weight watcher type programme because clearly I can't do anything successfully by myself! This is so frustraighting and disheartening. All that hard work for nothing. Thanks for your in put though guys and congrats to you all for managing to do so well and look fantastic xxx
    That is a GREAT idea!

I've known what BDD was for a long time. I'm good at listening and understand things people tell me (it's not hard if you just listen, lol.). So, I've understood BDD for a long time. Now that I've lost weight, I kind of identify with it and I think a huge issue with BDD is trust.

I don't see what other people see. Maybe I can't trust my eyes. They don't see eighty pounds of weight loss. Thirty, maybe forty, but NOT 80. Scale doesn't lie, though. I'm down 80 pounds. Other people go on about it, but maybe I can't trust them because people do tend to make you out as prettier, thinner, better than you are. Most of us do that for our friends. But the BMI doesn't lie and it's waaaay down, so I cannot be seeing me correctly.

Since I cannot trust others and I can't trust myself, I tend to figure I'm somewhere in the middle of what they say they see and what I see. But I don't know.

The doctor is really the only person I trust to give it to me straight. That's his damn job, to tell me how fat I am and what to do to get healthier. He falls somewhere between what other people say and what I see, which backs up what I was thinking.

If I get to the point where the doctor, the BMI and other people are saying, "Don't lose anymore!" and I find myself thinking, "But I don't look good enough," I will know I have a BDD issue and wait for my eyes & brain to catch up with my body.

A lot of people who lose have some degree of BDD and have to wait for their eyes & brain to catch up with their body.

I try to do what I've told others to do - look twice in the mirror. Stand there nekkid and look at you like you always do, "OMG, my hideous thighs. Jesus, this lumpy, gross stomach. My poor boobs..." whatever you think, lol, you're too young to say, "My poor boobs," but go ahead and do all your nasty self-talk that you do. Now, look yourself in the eye.

Then close your eyes, and open them again, looking yourself in the eye. Don't focus on any spot, keep looking yourself in the eye, but take a good peripheral glimpse at the shape without looking at individual fat pockets. Now a quick overall look without stopping to see "my disgusting thighs." Look at the parts you didn't bother with the first time. That will give you a better view. Say a few good things. Even if you don't believe them, say them to yourself. Even if it's, "My wrists look pretty good! I like that curve there." Again, even if you don't believe it, say it. I am doing it. I'm taking my advice (which I don't always do, lol) and practicing what I preach. It is helping me. No lie.

Train your brain! Get it out of the habit of thinking only nasty things. Train it to think some good things, too. If you have to force it, at first, so be it. You can do that!

Every day, two looks. Then quit being obsessive about your body and concentrate on your life the rest of the day. Wait until the next morning to say nasty things to yourself.

It's not terrible advice. Give it a try. Won't cost a damn thing and nobody will even know. :)
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE A BMI OF 19

Agreed. Although you've since taken your pictures down, 112 is thin on most everyone-- you definitely don't need to lose another stone. I bet what's going on is more of a perception issue. Please talk to someone you trust and take care of yourself.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE A BMI OF 19

I don't have an eating disorder, I eat healthy meals and occasionally treat myself to a bag of crisps or a Small chocolate bar as a special treat on the weekend - I don't believe in deprivation of treats as that's more likely to cause you to fall off the wagon and have a binge

Yes sweetheart you do, you are thinking in a disordered fashion about your body, your self-esteem and your need to lose weight,when it is clear to everyone that you are very close to the lowest healthy weight range.

Your self-hatred is sad and unneccesary. This is about your sense of self, your psyche and not your body .

You need help to get happy and confident and love your life
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE.
    This has nothing to do with your weight and all to do with your body shape.
    Lift things that are heavy for you, then lift things that are a bit heavier etc. etc., or do body weight exercises. You want to re-shape; not lose weight.
    Keep eating at maintenance.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EXERCISE.
    This has nothing to do with your weight and all to do with your body shape.
    Lift things that are heavy for you, then lift things that are a bit heavier etc. etc., or do body weight exercises. You want to re-shape; not lose weight.
    Keep eating at maintenance.

but she looks fine as she is now. this implies that she doesn't, which just isn't true. her self-loathing is not warranted as it is.
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a problem with our appearance to some extent otherwise we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight (granted some of you may be doing it for health but can you honestly say you were happy at your old weight?) - you don't have an eating disorder and neither do I. I'm just confused and upset as to why after all my hard work and 3stone loss, I am still a UK size 12 and body measurements remain the same :( xxx
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I think we all have a problem with our appearance to some extent otherwise we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight (granted some of you may be doing it for health but can you honestly say you were happy at your old weight?) - you don't have an eating disorder and neither do I. I'm just confused and upset as to why after all my hard work and 3stone loss, I am still a UK size 12 and body measurements remain the same :( xxx

yeah, i don't think you have an eating disorder based on what you've stated. you haven't said much about how many calories you're consuming though, so i can't really say.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't really like my body either at 105 pounds. not liking your body does not equate to eating disorder though. that would require issues with food, not just your body.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options

May I recommend, go to your doctor and nutritionist and get check out.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Maybe you dont have an ED, i am not an expert to judge, but i have my thoughts about all of this
    But for sure your way of talking about yourself is not a healthy way to think about yourself.

1e of all you dont need to loose any weight at all. Your look beautiful and your in a healthy weight range.
    2e you dont have much weight to loose so were most the weight loss come from? When you dont have much fat...yeah maybe in muscle than.
    3e Why does it matter so much what others think of you?

Be more proud of yourself and what you did. The not noticing of others tell more about them and their ignorance ( when the situation is really true).
    Be more confident!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I second all the comments above as to why people haven't commented on your weight loss.

Going forward, don't try to lose any more weight. Instead, exercise more and start a weightlifting regimen. Three reasons-- (1) doing so eventually might give you the look you want; (2) it will give you something else to focus on (you said you like a project) and (3) exercise can help your issues with depression. Instead of focusing on what your body looks like, focus on what your body can do. That might help you start to think more positively about yourself.

Don't worry so much about what other people think, or don't think, about you.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Well, went to the holiday lunch today (tradition with FIL) and not a single person commented on my weight loss (22 lbs.). However, I got out of a nice hot bath tonight (not feeling well) and was in a towel and my husband said, "My God, you've gotten so thin."

So I guess the answer for me is: next family get-together, I'll go in a towel.
  • jared00
    jared00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    great job on the weight loss!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Well, went to the holiday lunch today (tradition with FIL) and not a single person commented on my weight loss (22 lbs.). However, I got out of a nice hot bath tonight (not feeling well) and was in a towel and my husband said, "My God, you've gotten so thin."

So I guess the answer for me is: next family get-together, I'll go in a towel.

haha. Like that.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lb and 2 sizes and it wasn't all that noticeable because I have an hourglass figure that gains weight evenly, so I am in proportion up and down. The noticeable thing is, my cheekbones come out at the lower weight.

On the other hand, after a year of maintaining and adding weight training to my routines, my body changed and I lost additional 2 sizes without losing weight. I also changed my hair and clothing style. Suddenly, not only did everyone notice my size change, a lot of people didn't even recognize me at times (I also stopped wearing glasses due to cataract operations).
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ok I've just taken a waist measurement and I have gained an inch since December 1st 2014 despite having lost 9lbs! I feel physically sick...I'm definitely not losing any weight here, I'm clearly losing muscle only! I distraught after all my hard work, I think I'm going to ask my doctor for his advice and see if I can join an NHS weight watcher type programme because clearly I can't do anything successfully by myself! This is so frustraighting and disheartening. All that hard work for nothing. Thanks for your in put though guys and congrats to you all for managing to do so well and look fantastic xxx

Your diary is not open so no one can see what you're consuming or what your exercise is. You're not going to lose a dramatic amount of muscle like that. You may not have an eating disorder but you definitely could benefit from a therapist/support group for body dysmorphia. Your body is legitimately what I hope mine will look like at the end of my journey. You're beautiful but you need to work more on your mind; not on losing more weight.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I lost 30lb and 2 sizes and it wasn't all that noticeable because I have an hourglass figure that gains weight evenly, so I am in proportion up and down. The noticeable thing is, my cheekbones come out at the lower weight.

On the other hand, after a year of maintaining and adding weight training to my routines, my body changed and I lost additional 2 sizes without losing weight. I also changed my hair and clothing style. Suddenly, not only did everyone notice my size change, a lot of people didn't even recognize me at times (I also stopped wearing glasses due to cataract operations).

yeah, i'm an extreme pear shape. that's probably why everyone noticed. people with hourglass figures just carry their weight better. that might be why i didn't think it was that noticable on the o.p. especially in a picture that only features her body. the camera isn't really going to show it as well if everything is in proportion.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    That's a 9 pound difference, not 40! It's certainly possible not to see huge changes in 9 pounds. I refuse to believe that no one could tell from 154 - 121 (or 112).

You look great in those photos.