Lululemon, worth it?

Options
_chiaroscuro
_chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
Specifically running and tennis gear. Is there a benefit worth the extra money I'd pay?

Replies

• buffyfan22
    buffyfan22 Posts: 54
    Options
    No. Anything that is comfortable enough and not so damn expensive. It's just for looks, to be honest. But if you like it, feel free.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    It's not just for looks. Have you tried any of their products? Yeah didn't think so.

There are some pieces that are fabulous. They do just what they're intended. I don't think I've bought a dog yet (well, maybe one tank was a bit weak). More and more I find when I'm ready to work out, I'll grab a lulu item. I couldn't be without lulu headbands for wicking sweat away from my head and taming my hair. Getting some shorts delivered today, and I can't wait!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I wear athleta, not Lululemon, but it's the same sort of thing, maybe a tad less expensive. I've got a champion running skirt and an athleta running skirt. Both do what they are supposed to do, but the athleta skirt, in addition to looking much cuter, stays in place like nothing else I own. It has a rubber lining at the legs that doesn't irritate my legs and will not move at all to cause chaffing. The higher end products generally have extras and little details like that that really make a difference. I don't even bother with body glide or aquaphor if I'm wearing my athleta skirt and going for a 13 mile run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I've looked at some of the men's athleta stuff (my GF likes their stuff), but haven't actually bought anything, so this is a very general comment.

I do believe that, if you intend to use something a lot (wear it a lot and/or be really hard on it), good stuff is worth paying for. I don't subscribe to the "anything will work just fine" mentality when you get beyond a casual user of a product.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try out Lululemon for quite some time now. However, I was never small enough to try Anything on, let alone, buy anything. Last weekend was the first time I could enter the store, try something on and purchase it. And it was one of the best purchases. Sure, I paid $108 for a hoodie. But it's comfy. It keeps me warm. It's of high quality. It looks Amazing on my new body and I'm happy with it. Plus, I've known people who've had their merchandise for years and it still looks brand new. Some people are too frugal to shop there and I completely understand. It's expensive. But, to me, it's worth it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    No. Anything that is comfortable enough and not so damn expensive. It's just for looks, to be honest. But if you like it, feel free.

This. Wasn't too impressed with the brand myself. It wasn't bad, just not as amazing as the price would suggest.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, no. Terribly overpriced.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Go to old navy. It's less than half the price of lululemon and lasts forever. All of it is really comfortable and supportive. Why waste money on a big brand name that inflates prices?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I know people that rave about it. I've never tried their clothes so I can't say if it's worth it or not, but that's because I'm too cheap. :laugh: I stick with my Target clothes (and sometimes some "high-end" stuff like UnderArmour or Champion if I can find it for cheaper on Amazon). To me, if they're moisture-wicking and cover me up while I'm working out, that's all I care about.

I've heard that LivFit is a good cheaper alternative that's similar (http://www.livfitclothing.com/), but I haven't tried their stuff either so not sure.

ETA: I've heard that the clearance sales are AMAZING, but you need to be there fairly early during them because everyone buys up all the good stuff.

Also, off topic, but is that your license plate in your pic? I love it! lol
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's not something I'd treat myself to every pay day. But I've come a very long way in my journey and it was a reward to myself.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I do think they're worth it-quality always is. However, they don't beat the store $20 pair of yoga pants I bought at walmart 4 years ago, those are still in amazing shape despite my weight loss, pregnancy, and weight gain.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not something I'd treat myself to every pay day. But I've come a very long way in my journey and it was a reward to myself.

If that was your "yay me!" treat, then they were definitely worth it.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely worth it.

Their pants make your bum look amazing - and come with a camel toe blocker. Their clothes last much longer than most work out clothing and they are comfortable.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Weren't some pants recalled because they were see-through?
    hmm.. got to check..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/03/19/business-lululemon-recall.html
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's only worth it if you try it on and it looks fantastic.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    383476_622726367738330_742392863_n.jpg

QFT.

Whatever's on sale at Sports Authority and doesn't give me a rash in funny places is what I wear. I don't even know what Lululemon is. Is it like Juicy?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i have some hand me down pieces from there, and i don't see the big deal.

i workout for about an hour a day, i don't see the benefit in buying very expensive workout clothes i won't use often.

i would rather buy cute work stuff, or hang out with friends/weekend stuff.

but if you've lost weight, and you feel you deserve it, go for it!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have one lululemon top - it's cute and still looks brand new a year later. I have some Athleta items that I am in LOVE with - so cute & comfortable. I have far more items bought from Kohl's & Target. Some of the stuff is ok, but most of it is "disposable". It doesn't stand the test of time, gets pilly, shows sweat at the crotch (ew). So I try to add quality items as I can, over time.
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of pieces and love them, but only bought them because I won a $100 gift card (and still had to pay an additional $80 for the items I bought). That said, I also have some stuff from Mark's Work Warehouse (not sure if they are in the US but they are in Canada) and their product has worked really well for me! Comfy, good quality, looks good on me and reasonably priced.