Lululemon, worth it?

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    if you're going to wear them everyday, they are worth it. they don't fade, they don't "pill" on the legs, they don't fray. I have some pieces I've had for years, they are great quality. The pants outlast the Nike pants I buy at Sports Authority. But, when I wasn't pregnant I was wearing them for several hours everyday to work out, if you don't workout often maybe you wouldn't notice.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you want comfortable stuff for half the price, go to Mark's Work Wearhouse! Their yoga pants are guaranteed for 100 washes, they don't stretch too much or shrink and they're so comfortable.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I love the running tights and wear the tank tops all the time for barre class...I think they are stylish, fun, and comfy so they are worth it to me. Athleta has some good products also...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I do have a sweatshirt from there that I wear. But, it's not a place I would shop. Also, most of the pants become see through when dancing and doing yoga.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Go to old navy. It's less than half the price of lululemon and lasts forever. All of it is really comfortable and supportive. Why waste money on a big brand name that inflates prices?

Seriously, do you think people who buy lulu clothes are that stupid? I've tried on ON, and it's crap. Sorry. I just tried on a pair of white running shorts with liner, and you could see the fine details of my underwear. Considering they're meant to be worn sans undies, they'd be a little obscene. Not to mention the material felt like an outdoor tablecloth.

Having said that, I love one pair of Danskin capris I bought. However, after the 3rd wear/hand wash, they're pilling in the crotch. Lovely. I still workout in some of their gym shorts from last summer. They've held up as well as comparable Lands End shorts, but fit much better (Lands End tends to run big). My Champion sports bras don't do squat, and the pants have faded despite gentle washing. I won't buy Champion shorts because in spite of being size 6, the shorts make me look chubby.

Someone mentioned Athleta, and that's another great brand. Both Lulu & Athleta will make your butt look amazing, and the colors do not fade. I have some Athleta & Lulu tops in which I can run without a sports bra because their built in bra is that good. That's a great feeling on a hot day.

eta: Victoria Secret's yoga pants are great too and a third of the price however, Lulu & Athleta have the wider waistbands so you dont get muffin top.

I haven't bought Nike or Adidas in years, so I cant say how they compare. I have some Nike dry fit socks, and I like them.
  • allie_girl
    allie_girl Posts: 66
    Options
    Every yoga class I attend is decked out with girls in their stuff who SWEAR by it. I obviously have to test out this fashion trend! I bought a pair of BOOTY shorts to wear to an outdoor festival concert in Las Vegas .. AKA, I'll be sweating and possibly dying. The women assured me they'd work, but I guess only time will tell!!! I don't even think I could wear them to yoga without being mortified by my appearance in down dog.

I really want one of their yoga mats though!!
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Seriously, do you think people who buy lulu clothes are that stupid?

I think that's exactly what she meant.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I completely agree with Old Navy. It's all a matter of personal opinion, though. I just think their products lack quality. It's all very bland. Very cheaply made. The store is picked over. It's just Not my favorite place to go into. Nothing ever catches my eye.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I do believe that, if you intend to use something a lot (wear it a lot and/or be really hard on it), good stuff is worth paying for. I don't subscribe to the "anything will work just fine" mentality when you get beyond a casual user of a product.

I agree with this. I have found that trying to save money by purchasing off-brand workout clothing ends up biting me in the rear. The clothing is not as comfortable during workouts and wears out a lot faster. I see some of the more expensive workout gear as an investment, because it is.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you want comfortable stuff for half the price, go to Mark's Work Wearhouse! Their yoga pants are guaranteed for 100 washes, they don't stretch too much or shrink and they're so comfortable.

True - I've had excellent results from the workout clothing I bought at MWW
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Whoa and no! I still have 'cheap' brands from the 90's and they still look as good as when I bought them....AND I've gotten excessive wear out of them. Most every piece 'wicks away moisture,' washes beautifully, hasn't pilled, or ended up "holy" enough for church. (Misspelling and pun intended.)

Funny, there's been a lot of gals who have asked me where I get my great workout clothes and they look shocked when I say "Oh, TJ Maxx, Target, Walmart, and *GASP* Goodwill."

Personally, my clothes have to be comfortable and move with me when I move. Sorry, but I have pants that cost less than ten bucks. Why buy ONE pair of pants from Lululemon when I can buy ten pair elsewhere and still look and feel good?

Purses...now that's another story. :bigsmile:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    383476_622726367738330_742392863_n.jpg

QFT.

Whatever's on sale at Sports Authority and doesn't give me a rash in funny places is what I wear. I don't even know what Lululemon is. Is it like Juicy?

HAHAHA I'm so with this pic, never even heard of this brand. I don't really buy into the expensive gym clothes though, if it breathes, it's comfortable, and doesn't ride up my butt crack I'm a happy camper :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I need some new pants also. I borrowed a pair from my friend that were from Roots. I liked them, so I may try to get some there.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I own several of their running shirts (tanks, short and long sleeve), running skirts, and running socks. To me the winner is the shirts and the socks, though the skirts have amazing fit and look so cute. They are best athletic shirts I own and I own A LOT. They wick away sweat and keep you so dry. And the socks are padded in all the right places and also wick away sweat. I’ve never gotten a blister wearing those socks while I run. I’m at the point that I couldn’t run without them.

These aren’t things I buy a lot of or often and usually I request them as gifts. So they’re worn and washed with great care. You can snag a lot of good stuff on the sale racks too.
  • Mommy2akt
    Mommy2akt Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love my Lulu stuff! It is expensive but they last forever and I think it looks great on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Specifically running and tennis gear. Is there a benefit worth the extra money I'd pay?

As a guy, I say...
    emphatically...
    and without reservation...

YES.

Those yoga pants too.

kthxbai
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I've looked at some of the men's athleta stuff (my GF likes their stuff), but haven't actually bought anything, so this is a very general comment.

I do believe that, if you intend to use something a lot (wear it a lot and/or be really hard on it), good stuff is worth paying for. I don't subscribe to the "anything will work just fine" mentality when you get beyond a casual user of a product.

(This is two posts in a row that I've ^thissed one of your comments. I promise, I'm not stalking you.)

I used to subscribe to the "not worth the money/cheaper stuff is almost as good" mentality...but the more I try the "expensive" stuff, the more I realize that most of the time, you truly do get what you pay for. Now that said, I don't know about Lulu specifically...and it truly could be overpriced for what you get...but if it's anything like other apparel companies, there *is* a difference. Saucony generally makes better running shoes than Converse. Under Armour is generally better than Starter. A higher-end LG washer and dryer are better than a budget model no-name. And not just "better", but often, the product lasts longer...which means ultimately, it may actually be less expensive to pay more initially.

This isn't to say that you can't "get by" with the less expensive stuff...but it also doesn't mean that the more expensive stuff is automatically "not worth it".
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it! I have many garments and they alll look brand new 'cause I wash them in cold water and air dry. Despite pilling, still newish looking. I'm going to Canada this year and intend on stopping by the lab for a made for me pair of pants.
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is not bad, but I have to say that the quality of Lulu is beyond any other. You do pay more, but it is really worth it. They last!! Dont put in the dryer though.

You only need a few items and can switch them out. They also have great sales at Xmas and sale racks in most stores.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Buy sparingly and for purpose, it IS great quality. All my tops from Lulu have not faded, lost shape, pilled, stretched, etc. I have 6 different tops now that I wear for various gym classes. The black capris I bought 2 years ago still look new.

I have some other stuff from Nike and Under Armour that I like and it does perform well but it's not quite as comfortable if you want to wear it all day long.

Also, I received an email just this morning from Lulu saying they have new stock of black pants, minus the see-thru..