Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    If only the doctors would really strictly say "lose weight and we won't need to be seeing you", rather than skirting round the issue as they do.

Yes, this! I got really lucky... my doctor basically said to me, "Look, you are your child's only parent, right? You're 42 and your son is three. If you want to live to see him graduate from high school, lose weight. Now." It's been this thought that's kept me going... but most doctors are afraid to say it.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    RBracken34 wrote: »
    Ooci wrote: »
    If only the doctors would really strictly say "lose weight and we won't need to be seeing you", rather than skirting round the issue as they do.

Yes, this! I got really lucky... my doctor basically said to me, "Look, you are your child's only parent, right? You're 42 and your son is three. If you want to live to see him graduate from high school, lose weight. Now." It's been this thought that's kept me going... but most doctors are afraid to say it.

This!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet...but I anticipate that when I am, I will start wearing dresses, which I NEVER wear because I'm just not confident enough.

Also, I'm excited to feel my hip bones when I lay down.

Oh. And the shocker. My wrists are soo small and I love wrapping my fingers around them. I used to think I was medium framed, meantime I'm actually really really small framed. :smiley:

My dream of becoming a fairy is coming true!! (Again - don't judge the geek :wink: )
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @iceflurry Isn't it amazing what a month can do?!! I definitely hear you about the joints....the stairs, so much easier!!

Loving this thread!! <3
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of these yet - there are so many great little things mentioned here!

One thing that bothers me, though, is how many people complain that they now feel cold all the time. I often feel cold now, at 60-70lbs overweight, and I live in the "Great White North" so this makes me nervous! Still, I suppose having to wear extra layers is a small price to pay for being fit and healthy... I'll just have to see how it is for me when I get there! :)

The first few pages have been very inspiring so far, lots of things to look forward to! Thank you for starting it!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    One thing that bothers me, though, is how many people complain that they now feel cold all the time. I often feel cold now, at 60-70lbs overweight, and I live in the "Great White North" so this makes me nervous! Still, I suppose having to wear extra layers is a small price to pay for being fit and healthy... I'll just have to see how it is for me when I get there! :)

I've lost a buncha weight and am in the 'often cold' population. I wear a hat (toque) at home when really feeling it and it makes a big difference. I'd rather be cold than heavy. That's the truth!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Not feeling completely out of breathe after climbing stairs.
  • ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Definitely feel to cold all the time at only a 20 pound loss. So I'm not looking forward to being cold the rest of my life, but it is a small price to pay for losing weight, lots more to go for me, but from what I've read I've got some great things to look forward to.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'm going to be freezing... ;)

Oh well - better cold than heavy, I guess, as @nuffer says! I'll have to be prepared to buy lots of hoodies and hats when I get to my goal. :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of these yet - there are so many great little things mentioned here!

The first few pages have been very inspiring so far, lots of things to look forward to! Thank you for starting it!

When I initially started I was always cold; Now two years and a bit in it seems that my body is getting accustomed to the new me and I have noticed that the coldness is less. Not as warm as I used to be, but not freezing anymore either - So either my body caught up with the new life or I got so used to it I don't notice :-)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,242 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'm going to be freezing... ;)

Oh well - better cold than heavy, I guess, as @nuffer says! I'll have to be prepared to buy lots of hoodies and hats when I get to my goal. :)

Cold = not a sure thing (though it does seem to happen for a lot/many/?most? people).

My fingertips seem to get a bit colder than they used to when it gets into the teens here (Fahrenheit) gloves or no, but other than that I'm no colder after losing 61 pounds (to a quite thin weight of 123lbs at 5'5").

Oddly, when I last weighed around this much (college, in the 1970s, after losing maybe 20lbs post high-school), I did get cold, even in summer. Is my metabolism faster as a li'l ol' lady? Seems darned unlikely, but heck if I know.

Obligatory on-topic unexpected result, by way of apology for digressing: My car keys and phone keep falling out of the tinier pocket of my much smaller jeans. And I had to move the seat upward one notch on my spin class bike, because my no-longer-fat rear isn't boosting me as far off the pedals any more.
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @iceflurry Isn't it amazing what a month can do?!! I definitely hear you about the joints....the stairs, so much easier!!

Loving this thread!! <3

YES!
  • davidsanchezamezcua
    Options
    A man cant say what else happens because its not decent to say but it happens and its a huge plus!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options

When I initially started I was always cold; Now two years and a bit in it seems that my body is getting accustomed to the new me and I have noticed that the coldness is less. Not as warm as I used to be, but not freezing anymore either - So either my body caught up with the new life or I got so used to it I don't notice :-)

That's pretty much me, as well. I still get chilled and have to layer up a bit more when going outside but it's noticeably better now (I've been maintaining for about 2 years as well). The one thing that hasn't improved are my hands. I have to protect them at all costs when the weather turns cold. They turn into frozen blocks of flesh if I don't keep heavy gloves or mitts on and when I go out for hikes, I make sure to keep handwarmers inside my gloves as well because once my hands get cold, it takes a long time to warm them up again.

The trade-off for being colder in the winter is being much more tolerant of the heat in summer. When I was at my heaviest, going out in humid weather was a nightmare. I'd sweat instantly and could barely seem to do anything before feeling wiped out. Now, I go out jogging or hiking even on the warmest, most humid days of the summer and it doesn't really bother me. That, to me, is worth feeling a little colder in the winter if I can enjoy being outdoors in the summer more often.
  • pucklemore
    pucklemore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    My knees no longer hurt walking down stairs first thing in the morning. Oh, and I ran for TWO buses last night with my daughter without even thinking about it. Even tho we missed BOTH buses I was still smiling!

This made me laugh
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The shoes!!! I can't believe it! I've read about it here but just.didn't.believe.it. How can you lose weight on your feet? My shoes are definitely larger! And heels a lot more comfortable. And I can cross my legs! So unexpected. Never realised I'd like to sit with my legs crossed :smiley:
  • TriMama12
    TriMama12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty early in my journey, so I haven't noticed many physical changes yet. However I'm thrilled that I seem to be cooking and grocery shopping less. I've always eaten well and cooked from scratch so I've only needed to watch my portion sizes and quit late night snacking. Surprise! When you eat less, you buy less food and leftovers last forever.

This has been fantastic since my two resolutions for 2016 were to lose weight and to do less household drudgery. I thought they'd be in competition with each other, but they're actually working quite well together. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    People who now are bigger than me, lecturing me on weight loss and how to do it, when I've lost 78lbs. I think I have it sussed already :-). Or people who've obviously put on weight, telling me they've lost a stone since they last saw me. You can't fool a previously fat person.

I wonder why ppl do that? I mean is the purpose of it to put someone down or to boost themselves up? I hope I never do that, I can't imagine ...perhaps they don't realize how it sounds? Just pondering I guess... :)

@fattothinmum Fantastic job on losing 78#!! I'm loving this thread...so much fun to read and hear about all the changes everyone is enjoying!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!