Great new video which shows REAL women training!

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    OP please explain the use of the word "REAL" in your title.

I believe she means women who look like real people who sweat and have jiggly fat and whose makeup smears as opposed to perfect, flawless models.

This. Great ad showing 'real' life people exactly as they are without editing out the jiggly fat etc

Are you saying that models aren't real women?

Of course they're real, duh. But when they're doing photo shoots of "workouts" and someone off camera keeps rushing over to fix their hair, apply more makeup, fix the lighting, etc etc etc, it's not "real." You know exactly what the title meant.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    [/quote]
    I hate that expression "real" life people.
    [/quote]

It's just an expression, I knew exactly what the OP meant in context of the ad...and certainly nothing to be offended by in my opinion, however, I respect anyone else's right to be offended by it should they so choose.

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    It's nice they look like the rest of us................getting our sweat on! I generally look like a wet rag when I leave the gym and my hair is absolutely ridiculous. But like these women I don't really give a crap.... :D

It's fun to see so many women working so hard but I agree, where are the weights?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Dat song choice doe.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hate that expression "real" life people.

It's just an expression, I knew exactly what the OP meant in context of the ad...and certainly nothing to be offended by in my opinion, however, I respect anyone else's right to be offended by it should they so choose.

I didn't say I was offended- I said I hated the expression.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I believe she means women who look like real people who sweat and have jiggly fat and whose makeup smears as opposed to perfect, flawless models.

^This. As opposed to advertisements for sports/gym equipment which shows perfectly scuplted women "working out" with not a hair out of place and not a drop of sweat in sight.

I think too often people are just looking for something to pick apart so they can feel superior. It was pretty obvious what OP meant by "REAL".
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

This. Great ad showing 'real' life people exactly as they are without editing out the jiggly fat etc

Of course they're real, duh. But when they're doing photo shoots of "workouts" and someone off camera keeps rushing over to fix their hair, apply more makeup, fix the lighting, etc etc etc, it's not "real." You know exactly what the title meant.

Just some food for thought: Do you not think that this video had a whole cast of off-scene people working hard to portray a certain image in it's message?

Same thing just different target audience. It's all marketing so I guess these aren't real women either. This video is just extra jiggly on purpose.....nothing wrong with jiggly...to each their own....get you jiggly on if that's what motivates ya.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »

Just some food for thought: Do you not think that this video had a whole cast of off-scene people working hard to portray a certain image in it's message?

Same thing just different target audience. It's all marketing so I guess these aren't real women either. This video is just extra jiggly on purpose.....nothing wrong with jiggly...to each their own....get you jiggly on if that's what motivates ya.

Could be - but it seems more likely (and this is how the video feels) that they shot raw footage at a variety of different women's athletic events/venues. Of course there's editing to put it all together, clean up lighting, etc, but it definitely gives more a feel of reality than regular marketing.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Yes, and it's a message well worth sharing, because for too long we've been pressured by the media to look a certain way. The message is this: that you don't have to look perfect and beautiful to go to the gym and exercise. That it's ok to sweat and have your hair look like *kitten* and for your mascara to run and for your *kitten* to jiggle. Even if you look like a hot mess, you should work out and enjoy it because it's fun and it's good for you.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The video was great and motivational. The use of the word "real" implies that if you are not jiggly or a sweaty mess then you are fake.

Can you imagine if a man posted this? The internet would break.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Yes, and it's a message well worth sharing, because for too long we've been pressured by the media to look a certain way. The message is this: that you don't have to look perfect and beautiful to go to the gym and exercise. That it's ok to sweat and have your hair look like *kitten* and for your mascara to run and for your *kitten* to jiggle. Even if you look like a hot mess, you should work out and enjoy it because it's fun and it's good for you.

So you're not cool with the media telling you to look a certain way, but you're cool with the media telling you to work out a certain way? Why do you need permission to go to the gym and exercise and have mascara in your face?

Also, I watched the video without the sound. I have to say, for a so-called women-focused ad, they focus an abnormal amount of time on closeups of bouncing breasts and butts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I took it as "real life women". as in not everyone working out looks like a Victoria Secret model. haha
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

So you're not cool with the media telling you to look a certain way, but you're cool with the media telling you to work out a certain way? Why do you need permission to go to the gym and exercise and have mascara in your face?

Also, I watched the video without the sound. I have to say, for a so-called women-focused ad, they focus an abnormal amount of time on closeups of bouncing breasts and butts.

Re: the bolded part, you've got to be kidding, right? LOL...this is too much. I'm done with this thread... SMH
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So skinny chicks aren't real, you have to be fat to be a real woman. Got it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add some gratuitous giggling to prove my realness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviZhEw3LJc
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'd like to add some gratuitous giggling to prove my realness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviZhEw3LJc

She's clearly not sweating enough to be a real woman. That therr is a twerkbot.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

If you read the article link for the Telegraph that OP posted as well as the video, it mentions that

"After a lot of research with focus groups and having talked to many ordinary women on the street, Sport England identified that it is fear of judgment that prevents many women from doing exercise."

This video isn't about the media telling you that you have permission. It's about a government trying to tell women that it's ok to workout, and that you have the right to get some exercise, and be free of judgement whilst doing it. The young girl on the rowing machine and the girl from the spin class don't exactly look "jiggly" to me, they're being shown to work out hard and not worry about what they look like.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    So skinny chicks aren't real, you have to be fat to be a real woman. Got it.

There are some skinny ones in there. In the sweating part
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The video was great and motivational. The use of the word "real" implies that if you are not jiggly or a sweaty mess then you are fake.

Can you imagine if a man posted this? The internet would break.

I know I'm hypersensitive to that lingo because of Mrs "Real American" Palin suggesting that my citizenship is somehow invalid because I live in a city, work at a desk and don't go to church.

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

If you read the article link for the Telegraph that OP posted as well as the video, it mentions that

"After a lot of research with focus groups and having talked to many ordinary women on the street, Sport England identified that it is fear of judgment that prevents many women from doing exercise."

This video isn't about the media telling you that you have permission. It's about a government trying to tell women that it's ok to workout, and that you have the right to get some exercise, and be free of judgement whilst doing it. The young girl on the rowing machine and the girl from the spin class don't exactly look "jiggly" to me, they're being shown to work out hard and not worry about what they look like.

I think you nailed it @mangrothian‌ Apparently in the UK 2million fewer women then men exercise. In the rest of Europe there's no such disparity. Despite what some posters have claimed this isn't a marketing ploy, it's a public health message. Women should have the same access to physical health as men.