Great new video which shows REAL women training!

Options

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That was an awesome and inspiring video, thanks
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    OP please explain the use of the word "REAL" in your title.

I believe she means women who look like real people who sweat and have jiggly fat and whose makeup smears as opposed to perfect, flawless models.

This.
  • anadoesit
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A few points...you'd have to read the linked article to understand better:

1. This is not an advert selling an item or a lifestyle. It's a gov't agency promoting healthier lifestyles and exercise to get people who aren't traditionally inclined to exercise motivated. It's not selling an item or a lifestyle or a brand. It's underneath it all there to promote health and wellness.

2. I agree they should've had people lifting. If you followed the link at the beginning of the article, you'd see kettle bells and weightlifting featured. I think they selected a sampling of individual and group exercise that are easily accessible in most UK cities and towns. Crossfit is still in its' infancy in the UK and Ireland. http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/discover/

3.The use of the word real ....I meant what the I said above, no models or professional sports people or athletes. If I had it to do again, I'd leave out the real.

4. Still makes me, a somewhat lumpy middle aged woman want to get up and do my boot camp at 7am on a very very awful day so I think it's done its job! :)
  • anadoesit
    Options
    “It’s stuff like ‘I’m too fat to do this’ or ‘I’m not fit enough to go to that class’, or ‘If I get on that treadmill and press that button and fall off, I’m going to look really stupid and everybody is going to stare at me, and I’m certainly not going to wear those clothes to do it’.”
    “We are trying to say it’s perfectly normal to feel like that, don’t beat yourself up about it.”

“This ad is trying to reach women who have felt for whatever reason that exercise or sport is not for them, that it’s an exclusive club they can’t join. And I think the most powerful way of doing that is to show women who look like you doing it and don’t be afraid if you wobble. It doesn’t matter. We all wobble.”
  • anadoesit
    Options
    I think (hope) the confusion is because people didn't read the article to define the context of the ad. It's not really aimed at the already-comfortable-exercising audience. It's aimed at those who feel there are barriers to them training.

I know for me, a gym (or class, or cross fit box, or running on the road, etc) can be extremely intimidating for people just starting to exercise. If you're a seasoned exercise expert, you might not know this or maybe you've been training so long you've forgotten.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your views. I do agree probably there was a better use than the word 'REAL' and maybe today I'll think of one when I'm sweating and nearly in tears with DOMs.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Is there a thread anywhere on this "Community" that doesn't result in sarcastic criticism?? Seriously - makes you think long and hard about posting anything!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The idea to promote a more active lifestyle is great and I appreciate that some of the videos even cover everyday activity and not just in class, in gym exercise. But I'm curious about a few things:

Why does calling women "girls" in advertising about exercise empowerment get a pass. These aren't little girls they are active women. In a role reversal, a "this boy can" would be ludicrous. It's ok for the govt to be not only paternalistic but to insinuate that if you aren't out there in the gym, you are now failing (this girl can't...).

I sort of get the idea of creating visual role models from the hoi polloi - if they can, I can see that mentally it does work. But honestly, when I'm out there pushing myself to do something I'm shooting for not being just "able" but how far I can take myself. My role models are not the old fat guy (like me) going on his beater to buy groceries but the likes of Danny McAskill doing graceful things. Maybe it's me, but are you more motivated to go out and try something from a "them like me" point of view or from "human potential"? Why is it necessary to seperate the two? Or is the govt telling you - you'll never be a model but exercise anyway because it has social economic benefits.
    I'm curious about thoughts and opinions on this.

Oh, who's Danny?

http://youtu.be/Cj6ho1-G6tw
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I believe she means women who look like real people who sweat and have jiggly fat and whose makeup smears as opposed to perfect, flawless models.

so if you dont have jiggly fat you're not 'real'????
  • anadoesit
    Options

OP here: Please go back and read a few posts back where I explained the purpose of the advert, the use of the word 'real' and the target audience.

Honestly, I didn't expect for this to be so controversial. I just wanted to share something I found motivating. I think I'll limit this type of posting to my own profile from now on.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Why does calling women "girls" in advertising about exercise empowerment get a pass. These aren't little girls they are active women. In a role reversal, a "this boy can" would be ludicrous.

I think it's more a case of 'girls and guys' rather than 'girls and boys', so "this guy can't" would be a seamless substitution.

Possibly. I'm not convinced the ad people couldn't have done better.

Btw, I just asked my daughter about her climbing idol. You'll notice that at 19 she's called "woman" in the video below. Small things, perhaps I'm overeacting but I certainly can't go around saying "that girl" without sideways looks in my work environment. Those social connotations do exist.

http://youtu.be/jYU53DYXokY
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    anadoesit wrote: »

OP here: Please go back and read a few posts back where I explained the purpose of the advert, the use of the word 'real' and the target audience.

Honestly, I didn't expect for this to be so controversial. I just wanted to share something I found motivating. I think I'll limit this type of posting to my own profile from now on.

Don't get upset. Glad you posted, all discussion about language, image and how we perceive ourselves (and how advertising and marketing influence that) is healthy.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love the video. It made me smile and feel good about myself and my imperfect body. Made me want to Work out Again.... (did my workout this morning, even when I don´t enjoy working out).
    OP: The post worked for me like you hoped: It was super-motivational. Thanks. Forget the haters ;-)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    So skinny chicks aren't real, you have to be fat to be a real woman. Got it.

I don't get it either...I didn't have any issues with the video per se trying to reach a certain demographic of women to encourage fitness....Only with the OP saying "real". Coming from a former fat chick....if I've worked hard to reach my goals and am no longer out of shape...maybe even looking a little ripped would I no longer be "real"?

I'm not ripped yet, but I will be eventually and I'd still think of myself as a "real" woman.

I don't think it's splitting hairs. I think language choice is important. I get that it was probably meant in the spirit of perhaps the "average" woman, but by choosing the word real, it implies a sense of judgement that women who are in top form are somehow not real or something. I did note the posts of the OP explaining her meaning. I get it...real = sweaty and not over edited portrayal, etc. Just a lesson on how language is important.

fwiw, I don't sweat buckets when I work out. I sweat a little, but I'm not leaking all over like some. That, too, is kind of an individual thing. I'd hate for someone to think I'm not working hard because sweat is not running off me. I kind of wish I would sweat more and then the heat wouldn't bother me as much as it does :)
  • anadoesit
    Options
    Ok, I've said what I have to say. If there are mods and they want to close this thread, that's fine. I already stated many posts back the use of the word 'real' could have been chosen more carefully, had I been aware of the pre-existing culture of this board and this forum specifically. Consider me well-slapped on the wrist and contrite.

I think language is contextual and cultural. Things like woman/girl man/guy aren't a big deal in my own cultural and linguistic environment. People don't take offense to things like this where I live. It's not a political, gender, feminist or media statement in my mind.

People who look for offense will usually find it, even in the most positive of messages. Maybe just take things at face value sometimes and enjoy the simple things in life!

Red Alert Storm warning here. Instead of worrying if a brick blows through my window, I'm more worried if I'll be able to get up the road in my car to go training! *That's something worth worrying about!*
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the level of oversensitivity here. Frankly, it's bordering on insecurity.

If you've achieved your goals, are thin/ripped/toned then congratulations. However, this video is not for you. It's for the people who are starting out or part way through the journey, and who need motivation or reassurance that shows women who look like they do succeeding.

It's not about you. Try to understand that.

It's not the video. It's the implication of "real". Deciding who is real and who is not is a judgement. I get that maybe wasn't her intent, but that's how language works.

I only used the ripped as an example. I'm not there, so it's definitely not about me.

Turn it around to a video showing hairy men and saying here's a video of "real" men. Would that not imply judgement that men who don't grow as much body hair are somehow less manly? I won't even get into cultural or racial examples and how language matters.

That's all my point is...be careful with language
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

And the tearing apart instead of lifting up is so boring already. This place is hypocritical in its message, as in one situation we are supposed to be perfectly semantic (like in this thread), but in the next we don't have to bother (density). Whatever.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My role models are not the old fat guy (like me) going on his beater to buy groceries but the likes of Danny McAskill doing graceful things.

Seen this one yet? It is another one with Danny Macaskill and absolutely stunning. And the beautiful music was composed by Martyn Bennett, who passed away at 30+ due to cancer.

http://youtu.be/xQ_IQS3VKjA
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    My role models are not the old fat guy (like me) going on his beater to buy groceries but the likes of Danny McAskill doing graceful things.

Seen this one yet? It is another one with Danny Macaskill and absolutely stunning. And the beautiful music was composed by Martyn Bennett, who passed away at 30+ due to cancer.

http://youtu.be/xQ_IQS3VKjA

Absolutely stunning !! I had not seen that one, I've watched most of his other stuff dozens of times. As gave my girls. Thank you. Now I know where I want to go hiking next.

My inquiry was real - the visual examples, possible motivation, that I share is often of this caliber. Perhaps I should also include every day type stuff. Who knows.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    The video was great and motivational. The use of the word "real" implies that if you are not jiggly or a sweaty mess then you are fake.

Can you imagine if a man posted this? The internet would break.

I know I'm hypersensitive to that lingo because of Mrs "Real American" Palin suggesting that my citizenship is somehow invalid because I live in a city, work at a desk and don't go to church.

***FOUL*** For attempting to highjack the thread and turn it into a private political discussion. There was already enough anger with adding more ignorance into the conversation. And I'm a Conservative Liberal so just don't...=)
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    "Great new video which shows REAL women training!"

changed to

"Great new video which shows the stereotypical type of "real" women who are not in the greatest shape but are trying really hard and may only be just beginning and not the stereotypical fitness model who is also a "real" woman but that a lot of people think crowd the gym and will snicker and make fun of the others just beginning even though they wouldn't and understand that it's hard work and everyone has to start somewhere training!"

there I fixed it ... this is only my opinion on what the OP meant :):D