• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea what Keto is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea what Keto is.

Restricted carbohydrates to a low level so the body produces an alternative fuel (ketones) for the brain. It mimics some aspects of starvation.
  • Lilies7203
    Options
    Hi, can you please give me a sample of what a daily meal plan would be for this Keto strategy? I have read about this a few years ago. Does calorie counting come into play at all? Thanks
  • ybell300
    ybell300 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Today is day 3, for me lets start a group
    Hi I am wanting to do Keto or low carb in general. Can you tell me how did you get started? I've been looking at websites but honestly I'm confused.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Getting started is fairly easy. Throw out all your grains and sugars in the house. Stop buying potatoes. Set your macro targets to 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs. Then eat lots of animal products and vegetables and go very light on the fruit. The first two weeks a lot of people feel really gross. I was tired and had a couple episodes where my heart was beating like crazy. People claim increasing your electrolyte consumption helps. You'll also pee excessively until your body stabilizes. I feel like you still need to count calories even with carb restriction but it's really easy for me because I never feel hungry with the amount of fat and protein I take in. Gotta remind myself to eat sometimes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    Getting started is fairly easy. Throw out all your grains and sugars in the house. Stop buying potatoes. Set your macro targets to 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs. Then eat lots of animal products and vegetables and go very light on the fruit. The first two weeks a lot of people feel really gross. I was tired and had a couple episodes where my heart was beating like crazy. People claim increasing your electrolyte consumption helps. You'll also pee excessively until your body stabilizes. I feel like you still need to count calories even with carb restriction but it's really easy for me because I never feel hungry with the amount of fat and protein I take in. Gotta remind myself to eat sometimes.

Good post. Easy maybe not so much. :)

I finally had to cold turkey carbs and started with added sugar. It was hellish the first two weeks but I had been abusing carbs in a major way for the past 40 years with a lot of yo yo diets along the way.

Seriously just go two weeks without eating anything with added sugar. If you can do that KETO is a possibility for you. My arthritis pain dropping from 7-8+ to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale is what helps my brain to know to stay away from the grains and sugars (all 50 types) :)

Best of luck but it is not for those unmotivated to seek a higher quality of life for the remaining years. If I was just going to do it for weight loss and not as a change in eating lifestyle for life I am not sure I would be eating keto today.

• rotce
    rotce Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have lost and gained weight like a vicious cycle for years. I can tell you that if you follow it like you are supposed to, you WILL lose the weight and I definitely lost weight, but much too quickly. I was ecstatic with it and loved it but after a while, my body felt lethargic. But that is how I got very thin.

After not eating carbs for over 4 months, I had ONE cookie and my mind went haywire. I binged hard on all carbs for months and got very unhealthy and gained weight. I always thought that I could maintain that lifestyle forever but honestly, it just wasn't for me. I want to be able to eat fruit and oatmeal without worrying. It's hard to go out anywhere and find something keto, since everything has some sauce. The healthy dishes usually had some sort of brown rice, bellpeppers, sweet potatoes, beans or quinoa, which none are keto.

It works for sure!! But was just not manageable for me.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    rotce wrote: »
    I have lost and gained weight like a vicious cycle for years. I can tell you that if you follow it like you are supposed to, you WILL lose the weight and I definitely lost weight, but much too quickly. I was ecstatic with it and loved it but after a while, my body felt lethargic. But that is how I got very thin.

After not eating carbs for over 4 months, I had ONE cookie and my mind went haywire. I binged hard on all carbs for months and got very unhealthy and gained weight. I always thought that I could maintain that lifestyle forever but honestly, it just wasn't for me. I want to be able to eat fruit and oatmeal without worrying. It's hard to go out anywhere and find something keto, since everything has some sauce. The healthy dishes usually had some sort of brown rice, bellpeppers, sweet potatoes, beans or quinoa, which none are keto.

It works for sure!! But was just not manageable for me.

^^All of this^^

Tried it. Worked for a while (many months). Couldn't keep it up and in the long run and I gained everything back.

Keto means saying no to 85% of everything at the grocery store and 95% of everything on the menu at a restaurant. Sure you can do it for a while but are you really going to live that way for the rest of your life? And why would you want to? Good food is one of the great pleasures in life.
  • rotce
    rotce Posts: 2
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    ^^All of this^^

Tried it. Worked for a while (many months). Couldn't keep it up and in the long run and I gained everything back.

Keto means saying no to 85% of everything at the grocery store and 95% of everything on the menu at a restaurant. Sure you can do it for a while but are you really going to live that way for the rest of your life? And why would you want to? Good food is one of the great pleasures in life.

That's exactly it. You honestly can't eat out anywhere, it was really stressful. What is considered healthy to others: bananas, apples, oranges, squash, tomatoes, can't be eaten. I'm all for less carbs, but just not to that extent.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm keto and I eat all vegetables including squash and tomatoes with no issues. It's not really hard to find a protein and a no starch veggie side when eating out. In fact zucchini and spaghetti squash are probably my most frequently eaten veggies.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eating out isn't as easy as it used to be, but it isn't much of a problem for me. Steak and eggs. Chicken and vegetables. Burger without the bun. Sashimi. Pho without the noodles. Entree salads without croutons. You do become "that guy" who takes five minutes to give their order to the server, but for my health I figure it's worth it. I definitely say ketogenic diets aren't for everyone. Unless you really understand nutrition, are willing to feel like a weirdo any time you eat in public, and can give up pasta of your own free will you probably won't have long-term success. Personally I've had a lot more success with my current "diet" than my raw vegan or low fat calorie counting days.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    First, here are the LC or Keto groups on MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are probably more, but those are the ones I joined.

You can read this website for clarity: www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Also www.ruledme.com is great. Tons of info and recipes.

Friend me if you'd like. There's lots of us here.

Set your macros to what eatsyork stated above.

Major rules? NO SUGAR, NO STARCHY VEGETABLES, NO GRAINS (TYPICALLY) (some people eat low carb breads, wraps, etc. But if you are just starting out, I recommend not doing that. EAT CLEAN. NO FRUIT. Berries maybe occasionally after you have got low carb down.

Ask questions! And good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lilies7203 wrote: »
    Hi, can you please give me a sample of what a daily meal plan would be for this Keto strategy? I have read about this a few years ago. Does calorie counting come into play at all? Thanks

Usually the calories look after themselves, as the food is filling and carb restriction suppresses hunger.

Breakfast - one fried egg and 2 rashers of bacon.
    Lunch - mackerel with salad
    Dinner - 1/4 lb burger (20% fat), green beans, broccoli

Black coffee, water, diet soda if you must. A couple of ounces of cheese or 10 - 20 almonds as snacks if required. Couple of tsp of heavy cream in coffee is OK.