Did people calling you fat or negative comments help you lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    In the military my core team took great pride in being non-PC. Whenever one of us on on the DL and gaining weight we had the "Fat Whacker" program which consisted of motivation via being beaten with a rubber hose whenever making poor diet/exercise decisions.

Decidedly not for everyone, but a great source of comedy and motivation for us.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've had odd experiences with being told "you're fat". My ex-mother in law would continually refer to my weight (that I was big) and my ex-aunt (in law) quite famously questioned me about my dress on my wedding day and that "you're a pear shape, so you would have to buy a flouncy dress" - I was a size uk 10/12 and weighed 9 stone at 5ft 6in .... But now I really do need to lose weight, I'm now 11st 5lb my friends keep saying about how I've put on so much weight and how I used to be so skinny - I feel like I can't win :-/ but saying this I am now here to get healthy and fit but for myself. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As a child, I was motivated to lose weight by any and all comments (and I was not a fat child), but that was because I was afraid of the people doing the commenting.

I'm not afraid of anyone today, so unless this is a true "share" session - you know, you tell me I'm fat and what to do about it, I tell you what you can do about the bags under your eyes that are aging you by 15 years, advise you on how to cook a bit better (I mean...there's rare and then there's RARE, dear) or give you a gentle reminder that you don't seem to be disciplining your children with the correct combination of patience and firmness and they will likely grow up psychologically skewed - well then, slag off.

Love,

LAWoman72

:)

ETA: Asking for advice directly is, of course, different. I come on here, and occasionally I ask for advice, and receive it - which is the difference between a jaw-dropping degree of intrusiveness, and helpfulness. At least by my definition.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    never motivated me.
  • lisaab27
    lisaab27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been fat all my life and had to endure many rude comments and cruel taunts as a child later a teen and even as an adult. It never made me stop eating, it made me want to curl up in a ball and go find a quiet place and stuff my face. There is a difference between motivation and disrespect. Encouragement helps more than criticism, at least in my case.