KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do they have popcorn?
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Pascal56 wrote: »
    OT question: for those fixed weight barbells, is the number the total weight including the bar, or the weight of the ends only? If the latter, how much does the bar weigh?

it's always total weight.

Thank you :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.
    I know I'm just a spectator for the sport, but... what equipment would that be?

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.

A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

that would be something to see.

Yeah, no leg press at the PF I go to. Good thing my Y has two and my schools gym has one. My PF does have barbells but you can't remove the weight.

Ah. Pre-weighted barbells, interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that.

i'm sure you have. they're tiny. you're probably imagining a full barbell with plates but these are basically a stand filled with pre-loaded curling bars. probably start at 20 and go up to 60 pounds

ETA: aaaaaaand this was addressed right before i posted. i'm getting slow in my old age

You're right, I HAVE seen that, just never really paid attention I guess.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The funny thing - and the thing that really should have stood out to me? All the ones at my gym are not 20, 40, 60... They are 25, 35, 45...

Or, are they?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    There's no reason for all the bashing against PF.

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

Really? It sounds a lot like may of the PF defenders on this board, so I find it totally plausible. I guess that's me though.

I know why they don't want fitness enthusiasts (let's quit with this whole "bodybuilder" thing). It's to take advantage the urban myth(s) of gyms full of people who are just there to judge you and that they're lined with only "bodybuilders", that many individuals who have never stepped into a gym believe. It's not rocket math.

Trust me, I know. It's dumb. However, you can't say any gym is totally judgement-free because there will always be people there who DO judge. Not everyone, but there's always a few in the crowd.

I never said they were (that would include PFs), but that's what PF is trying to claim....you know...judgment free when their ironic business model is built on judging people by how they look or dress.

In their little planet, it's only acceptable when they are doing the judging *eyeroll* :p

I don't get the whole judgement thing. A naked supermodel could walk through there and I wouldn't notice.

And I've never actually seen the lunk alarm go off. I'm kinda tempted to go in there in a muscle shirt and start grunting and dropping weights to see what happens.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

Really? It sounds a lot like may of the PF defenders on this board, so I find it totally plausible. I guess that's me though.

I know why they don't want fitness enthusiasts (let's quit with this whole "bodybuilder" thing). It's to take advantage the urban myth(s) of gyms full of people who are just there to judge you and that they're lined with only "bodybuilders", that many individuals who have never stepped into a gym believe. It's not rocket math.

Trust me, I know. It's dumb. However, you can't say any gym is totally judgement-free because there will always be people there who DO judge. Not everyone, but there's always a few in the crowd.

I never said they were (that would include PFs), but that's what PF is trying to claim....you know...judgment free when their ironic business model is built on judging people by how they look or dress.

In their little planet, it's only acceptable when they are doing the judging *eyeroll* :p

I don't get the whole judgement thing. A naked supermodel could walk through there and I wouldn't notice.

And I've never actually seen the lunk alarm go off. I'm kinda tempted to go in there in a muscle shirt and start grunting and dropping weights to see what happens.

Have you seen a commercial, laying out their entire business model?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKAVC3uPg_Q
  • dbmata
    Options
  • dougpconnell219
    Options

Oh I know, I'm just saying I find it amazing grown people care about that.

In wearing headphones, usually with my eyes closed, in my own little world. I don't know and don't care what someone in the weights section is doing.
  • dbmata
    Options

In wearing headphones, usually with my eyes closed, in my own little world. I don't know and don't care what someone in the weights section is doing.

Unfortunately, this means you afflicted with a disease.

Called reasonableness.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't know if anyone really cares about it, the irony makes fantastic fodder.....and I believe that's really what they're aiming for. You know.....any publicity.

I wish more people at the gym used headphones, rather than yelling gossip at each other over the sound of the equipment.

Side note.....you exercise with your eyes closed?
  • dougpconnell219
    Options

I don't know if anyone really cares about it, the irony makes fantastic fodder.....and I believe that's really what they're aiming for. You know.....any publicity.

I wish more people at the gym used headphones, rather than yelling gossip at each other over the sound of the equipment.

Side note.....you exercise with your eyes closed?

When I'm on the eliptical, yes.

I hate wearing glasses while working out, due to sweat issues. And without them, everything is just a blur anyway.

So I often just close my eyes and just rock out to my music. Hell, I'm half running, half dancing, lip syncing along. Probably look like a total spaz.

But see... That's what I like about working out. I put my phone on do not disturb mode. It's one hour day that nobody bothers me. Not my employees. Not my wife. Certainly not a "lunk." its my time.
  • betterby30
    betterby30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is my gym! It's got everything you could want and there are lots of big lifters around. It got SIGNIFICANTLY busier after Jan 1, but is starting to calm down a bit. Lots of people around whenever I go (and not enough lockers!).
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

It's not staged. There is no way that Planet Fitness would have staged a video that is so completely embarrassing to them. Nor could any such video have been shot at their facility without their knowledge.

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

It's not staged. There is no way that Planet Fitness would have staged a video that is so completely embarrassing to them. Nor could any such video have been shot at their facility without their knowledge.

Seriously? Do you every actually WATCH the Daily Show? It's on the Comedy Channel for a reason. I love it and I love Jon Stewart. But he's a comedian and he does all sorts of parodies. This was just another one of them.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Seriously? Do you every actually WATCH the Daily Show? It's on the Comedy Channel for a reason. I love it and I love Jon Stewart. But he's a comedian and he does all sorts of parodies. This was just another one of them.

it seems that you're aren't aware of how the Daily Show or Colbert Report work. That's an actual interview. That's what they do, albeit with a humorous or political slant. It's not staged
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    In fact, according to Wikipedia, the blonde in question was their regional manager, Elizabeth Cunningham. Do you honestly think that Planet Fitness would allow her to participate in a staged interview that openly depicts the hypocrisy of their methods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Fitness#Controversy

It was NOT staged.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Fitness

"In 2011, during an interview with The Daily Show, Regional Manager Elizabeth Cunningham joked about Planet Fitness's philosophy of keeping out certain kinds of people, stating: "We are the Judgement Free Zone... and kind of not have that hassle of all the different lunks in the gym... meatheads, you know, bodybuilders, we call them lunkheads, jerks... they're just not welcome."
    "There's a lot of places for lunks to go... all the animals can be in one cage and then we have Planet Fitness where all the people can go."
    The interviewer Jason Jones asked, "Do you know who else said that?" Cunningham answered, "Hitler?""

She JOKED. It was a parody. Most parodies are based on a bit of truth and a lot of exaggeration.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Fitness

"In 2011, during an interview with The Daily Show, Regional Manager Elizabeth Cunningham joked about Planet Fitness's philosophy of keeping out certain kinds of people, stating: "We are the Judgement Free Zone... and kind of not have that hassle of all the different lunks in the gym... meatheads, you know, bodybuilders, we call them lunkheads, jerks... they're just not welcome."
    "There's a lot of places for lunks to go... all the animals can be in one cage and then we have Planet Fitness where all the people can go."
    The interviewer Jason Jones asked, "Do you know who else said that?" Cunningham answered, "Hitler?""

She JOKED. It was a parody. Most parodies are based on a bit of truth and a lot of exaggeration.

There's an ounce of truth behind every joke.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...because PF discussions are always fun ...