Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.
    I know I'm just a spectator for the sport, but... what equipment would that be?

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.

A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

that would be something to see.

Yeah, no leg press at the PF I go to. Good thing my Y has two and my schools gym has one. My PF does have barbells but you can't remove the weight.

Ah. Pre-weighted barbells, interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that.

We have those at the gym I go to. Both straight- and ez- bars. Those are kept over by the dumbbells, and are primarily used on the preacher curl benches and for other "smaller" type lifts. We use the oly bars for most of our work.

eta: This is kinda weird - this looks almost exactly like my gym. Same setup, with the barbell rack, a row of benches, and dumbbells in front of a mirror. It's NOT my gym, but I actually had to look closely, to make sure.

Free_weights_top.jpg

we have those too ..

they kinda come in handy when you don't want to take up the squat rack because your overhead press a lighter weight ...or if you are doing front raises or something like that...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, a planet fitness thread. *makes popcorn*
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's an ounce of truth behind every joke.
    Exactly. Do you honestly think that she would depict her own company in such a damaging way if this was a gross misrepresentation of their philosophy?

If she was joking, it was in the way she ridiculed the bodybuilders -- the "lunks." In fact, there is plenty of evidence that they consider bodybuilders to be undesirables. Their marketing materials are rife with this.

http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/pfip/big-lunks-gym-120-lbs-77836367.jpg

Also please note that Wikipedia flagged that particular section as requiring editorial cleanup. The bit about her comment being a joke is questionable. There was certainly nothing in her demeanor that suggests that she was stating anything other than the raw truth. Again, why would she misrepresent her own company in such a damaging way?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Basically, Planet Fitness looks at bodybuilders to all be stereotypical, judgmental jerks. It's like saying that everyone who rides a Harley is part of a drug trafficking, murderous gang...

That all black people are criminals...

That all Muslims are going to bomb a public place and go on a shooting rampage.

I can go on...

This is why I will never purchase a membership from them and why I will take every opportunity to talk *kitten* about them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Basically, Planet Fitness looks at bodybuilders to all be stereotypical, judgmental jerks. It's like saying that everyone who rides a Harley is part of a drug trafficking, murderous gang...

That all black people are criminals...

That all Muslims are going to bomb a public place and go on a shooting rampage.

I can go on...

This is why I will never purchase a membership from them and why I will take every opportunity to talk *kitten* about them.

This is exactly why PF is so popular.

It caters to how a bulk of the people really are.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would join a PF as a secondary gym just for the monthly buffet.

Where's the the LOL emoji? Loved this reply so much. Great idea also. ALL THE BAGELS!
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I live on Dufferin, so this is the closest gym to me by a wide wide margin. The nearest Goodlife (which I cancelled my $55/month membership to) is 30 minutes by bus or subway. Thumbs up for Planet Fitness!