Who eats back exercise calories and who doesn't?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Its a personal preference. On my news feed I see MFP friends that burn 700 calories doing some sort of exercise. I have seen someone burn 1100 to 1200 calories which is my whole days worth of allotted calories. In that case I would be dying, I would need food, oxygen and CPR.

But I only burn a fraction of that and if I got a bit in a further deficit 3 - 4 weeks I am ok with that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I don't - but I also set my base calories higher to compensate for it. So in reality I guess I do....
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I typically don't eat them back unless I have logged a long run (10-18 miles) then I will eat back some of them because I am hungry. If I am doing a training session or class I typically don't because I am not starving afterwards because of the food plan I had through out the day. I think it is up to what works for you. My husband eats back about 60% of his calories. To each his own I guess.
  • AndrewWood97
    AndrewWood97 Posts: 22 Member
    I don't eat back my exercise calories and I average about 2 lbs per week weight loss. It would probably be slower if I did.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    I eat them back on most days because I look at exercise in a different light: 1. I have fitness goals independent of my desire to lose weight 2. I like food. Exercising is two birds with one stone, I get to work towards my fitness goals and I get to eat more without hindering my weight loss. I have lost close to 100 pounds so far.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    I generally dont eat them back, but if I want to its good to have the cushion so that I can.. You still get benefit from the workout as it'll be good for heart/lungs etc, so better to workout and eat the calories, than not workout/not eat the calories.
  • sanrpn12
    sanrpn12 Posts: 4 Member
    I range from not eating them back at all to eating about 25% of them
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Like @Roxiegirl2008‌, I eat back my long run calories; I'm weight training, so if i didn't I wouldn't have the needed carb/protein balance to lift.

Also, the long runs are my carrot; knowing I have one coming up, I'll hold off on that indulgent treat, then reward myself with a healthy (yet still indulgent) treat
    cheeseburger.jpg
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I lost over 120 lbs eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well

^I lost 160+ NOT eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well for me. I have been maintaining for 14 months.

We all ARE snowflakes! Do what works for you in all facets of this new way of living. :)

Sorry but we aren't snowflakes
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I train hard and eat back some of my exercise calories (taking into account overestimates).

This is what I do too, I am 25 lbs down and meeting my weight loss goals per week.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    just curious at the ratios. I personally don't eat back exercise calories. It seems very backwards to me as the idea of working out is too increase the calorie deficit so you lose weight more, but eating back those calories is basically the equivalent of not having worked out.

Anyone else?

Careful not to burn yourself out! and make sure you're getting enough supplements. For me, this depends on many things but to sum it up and keep things real, I don't let myself lose over three pounds per week. You have to be healthy and happy or risk failing. I like to have the energy for a good workout, and I find if I'm in heavy caloric deficit I tend to put off a workout and start feeling lazy. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I eat 1/3 to half of mine... and I'm not walking around hungry all the time :)
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Cacheola wrote: »

Careful not to burn yourself out! and make sure you're getting enough supplements. For me, this depends on many things but to sum it up and keep things real, I don't let myself lose over three pounds per week. You have to be healthy and happy or risk failing. I like to have the energy for a good workout, and I find if I'm in heavy caloric deficit I tend to put off a workout and start feeling lazy. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I eat 1/3 to half of mine... and I'm not walking around hungry all the time :)

Tbh I've always eaten this way and have never burned out. I find if I eat my exercise calories I don't lose.m

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    If I didn't eat back some of my exercise calories, I could easily end up netting just 1000 calories a day sometimes. Even 1200 would be too little for me at over 200 pounds. I'd lose too fast and sacrifice muscle.

But I know the calculations done by just about everything are way overestimated. My solution is to manually enter half the calories that MFP, apps or machines say I've burned, and eat them all. I lose 1 - 2 pounds a week doing this.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I eat them, but you have to be careful you don't use an overestimated value.

Examples of overestimated values:

- MFP database walking
    - MFP database pilates/stretching
    - MFP database squash
    - Strava run ( using these during marathon training was IMHO a factor in me actually gaining a couple of kg at that time )

As I lost more weight it became more clear that sticking to overestimated values and eating back the calories would slow me down, so I invested in a step tracker and HRM. I found the step calorie adjustments were lower, and IMO more realistic, and also that the Garmin run/workout with HRM calorie burn values were lower and again more realistic based on reading up on these things. Since switching to these I have done better.

Hope this is useful!

On the other hand, I didn't find MFP's estimates to be off at all for me. Like I said, I ate back every one, and most of them were from walking. The best thing to do, imo, if you're concerned about MFP overestimating is start out eating back half and then adjust based on your actual results.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    adowe wrote: »

^I lost 160+ NOT eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well for me. I have been maintaining for 14 months.

We all ARE snowflakes! Do what works for you in all facets of this new way of living. :)

I am. I am not the same as you or anyone else.

Do you go on 30-60 mile bike rides? If I didn't eat back those calories I would never have the energy to do that

Most definitely not. But still I lost all the weight not eating the calories back. I go to the gym M-F and go for walks on the weekends.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    I don't eat them anymore.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member

Tbh I've always eaten this way and have never burned out. I find if I eat my exercise calories I don't lose.m

So, if you didn't work out at all and maintained your same daily calorie intake, do you gain? It's possible that your daily intake is higher than your body normally burns in a day. ??
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    adowe wrote: »

I am. I am not the same as you or anyone else.

You are more alike all of us than you think. Biology proves that.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member

Then there is something else going on. Math is math, 4-2 equals 2 not 6. In other word, deficit + exercise = more deficit, not maintenance or surplus.

Read the link below and the links enclosed there for explanation.

Have a good day!!
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    []

On the other hand, I didn't find MFP's estimates to be off at all for me. Like I said, I ate back every one, and most of them were from walking. The best thing to do, imo, if you're concerned about MFP overestimating is start out eating back half and then adjust based on your actual results.

I walk a lot and use both a walking app and a fitness tracker and frequently find that MFP overestimates the calorie burn,

So, if you didn't work out at all and maintained your same daily calorie intake, do you gain? It's possible that your daily intake is higher than your body normally burns in a day. ??

No I just stay at the same weight.