Who eats back exercise calories and who doesn't?

Options
just curious at the ratios. I personally don't eat back exercise calories. It seems very backwards to me as the idea of working out is too increase the calorie deficit so you lose weight more, but eating back those calories is basically the equivalent of not having worked out.

Anyone else?

Replies

• AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I find that if I enter them, I want to eat them,so I try to only enter my exercise at half the time I actually put in. That way if I do eat them all back, it's not terrible. That being said, i usually eat back at least part of them, as I allow myself to make bigger or more meat based meals on those days.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Im glad you explained what it was because I hadnt heard of it! Im with you. Im trying to burn calories not replace them. I can understand the idea thatyou need to give your body sone protein after a workout, that makes sense to me.....altho i dont do it
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can see the logic there :)

I have a good system with my food whereby I'm in a routine and my body is used to a centre amount of calories. If I eat more one day then I want more the next, so I just don't bother and in the past I've seen good loses. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back the exercise calories I burned. It is really counter productive to do that.

I have to be completely miserable and dying for me to eat back something I worked so hard to burn... LOL :o:D:)
  • manthonyw
    Options
    I eat them. That's part of why I'm not losing weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    just curious at the ratios. I personally don't eat back exercise calories. It seems very backwards to me as the idea of working out is too increase the calorie deficit so you lose weight more, but eating back those calories is basically the equivalent of not having worked out.

Anyone else?

MFP is designed to calculate your activity level not including exercise, and set your calorie deficit to lose weight even if you don't exercise. By exercising and increasing your calorie deficit, you may lose weight faster but at the risk of losing lean muscle mass and potentially other negative effects if your calorie goal is too low to be able to maintain adequate nutrition.

That being said, many of the calorie burn estimates in MFP databases can be inflated which is why many who use this approach recommend only eating back a portion of your exercise calories. Another alternative is to use a TDEE approach which factors estimated calorie burns from exercise into your total daily energy expenditure, and when you use this approach you simply eat the same number of calories every day and don't log a calorie burn from exercise into MFP.

• Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Haha Gia I love that...

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I burn larger amounts, I do. I am doing strength routines as well, and eating too few calories can cause your body to burn muscle instead of fat. I want to get lean, and strong. I'm also not in a rush to lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I ate back every single calorie while I was losing weight, and of course I eat them back now that I'm in maintenance. I work out for fitness and health, not just to burn calories.

Your deficit is already built into your goal. It's not a good idea to make your deficit too large, as you can end up losing muscle instead of just fat.

For a more in depth explanation:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP the way it is designed you should eat back your exercise calories as your deficit is already included in the calorie goal it's giving you.

You exercise for health not to lose weight quicker by creating a larger deficit.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I often do, but sometimes I don't. Some days I feel like I want to eat more, and if I have the exercise cals, I use them. Other days, I'm fine with the usual allotted calories. I mean, I could probably be losing faster, but 69 pounds in 8 months ain't so bad. I'd rather lose more slowly and feel satisfied with the amount I'm eating. I feel like exercise gives me some leeway when I need it.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Here is the rule. Careful it's long (copied from a thread last week).

Here are some background definitions before going into this:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Exercise calories, as they are typically used in MFP specifically, is represented by EAT in the above definition. Whether or not you should eat your EAT (giggity) depends on what system or method you are using to calculate your intake needs.

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake. For example, it will ask you an activity factor that includes an average of your exercise, and with this it increases your TDEE to account for the fact that you are exercising.

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.

Lastly: Exercise expenditure is often over-stated.

My general opinion is that it's much simpler and uses less guess-work to use a custom intake and just forget about the exercise calorie model entirely, but that's a different topic of sorts, more discussion of which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I enter them so I have a record of them but I very rarely eat them back
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. When losing weight, I didn't, as I wanted to lose as much weight as I could. Once I reached my goal, I did as I didn't want to lose more weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    quote/ My general opinion is that it's much simpler and uses less guess-work to use a custom intake and just forget about the exercise calorie model / quote

I use this..
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if my net calorie intake is less than 1,000 cals per day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jen and Acryclics for posting those links I was off searching for them...

I concur - I ate back every calorie during weight loss and eat back every calorie during maintenance too. I use a FitBit to help me better understand how many calories I'm burning and to set reasonable calorie deficit goals.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I lost over 120 lbs eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories, but I do TDEE rather then MFP.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Some but not all. I generally try to keep it under 1500, unless it's a rest day where I try to stay under 1200.