Who eats back exercise calories and who doesn't?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    adowe wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    I lost over 120 lbs eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well

^I lost 160+ NOT eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well for me. I have been maintaining for 14 months.

We all ARE snowflakes! Do what works for you in all facets of this new way of living. :)

Sorry but we aren't snowflakes

I am. I am not the same as you or anyone else.

You are more alike all of us than you think. Biology proves that.

Really? How so? Prove that I am the same as you in my nutrition needs. I am truly interested in how you can say this not knowing anything about me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cacheola wrote: »

Careful not to burn yourself out! and make sure you're getting enough supplements. For me, this depends on many things but to sum it up and keep things real, I don't let myself lose over three pounds per week. You have to be healthy and happy or risk failing. I like to have the energy for a good workout, and I find if I'm in heavy caloric deficit I tend to put off a workout and start feeling lazy. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I eat 1/3 to half of mine... and I'm not walking around hungry all the time :)

Tbh I've always eaten this way and have never burned out. I find if I eat my exercise calories I don't lose.m

Then there's a very good chance that your food logging accuracy isn't very good and more by luck than judgement you have cancelled out the mistake of not accounting for exercise.
    Beware that as you get closer to goal weight the muscle sparing effect of being fat lessens so please don't try to lose weight quickly all the way to your target or your results might be disappointing in terms of body composition and looks.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    I usually don't. Honestly, I only eat 1200-1300 on most days. On days that I really push myself, I go up to 1400. Beyond that, I think it has to do more with the quality of food you are putting into your system. I take in a lot of egg whites, baked chicken, and Tuna fish.

That is just me, though. It took me a long time to figure out what works for me. What worked for my friend at the time he was trying to lose weight would was not working for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I have a lot of weight to lose still about 45 lbs. I've lost 35 over the past year and was eating back most of my exercise calories. However, over the past couple of months I haven't really been losing much so I have really begun to limit how much I eat back. I also don't really look at calories as a one day thing.

Sure, my net yesterday was like 900. I ate 1500 but I also spent 90 minutes in the gym doing intense cardio, which my hrm calculated as like a 900 calorie burn. (my net goal is 1440). However, I might take today off...and I might just drink a couple of craft beers and go way over 1440. I tend to use the report function to see weekly calorie burns instead. I've started losing again, which feels great and I'm not hungry.

Do what works for you. If you start losing your hair and feeling cold all the time that's probably a sighn you should definitely eat more. There is a big difference in eating to lose weight from being obese and looking to "trim down" and be more fit if you are just out of shape. That probably weighs heavily in the debate to eat back your exercise calories or not.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    I eat back my exercise calories. I need to, or I'd keel over dead. The spread for me ranges from 500 exercise calories to 3000. Can't just change the activity level to consistently match that.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2015
    sijomial wrote: »

Careful not to burn yourself out! and make sure you're getting enough supplements. For me, this depends on many things but to sum it up and keep things real, I don't let myself lose over three pounds per week. You have to be healthy and happy or risk failing. I like to have the energy for a good workout, and I find if I'm in heavy caloric deficit I tend to put off a workout and start feeling lazy. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I eat 1/3 to half of mine... and I'm not walking around hungry all the time :)

Tbh I've always eaten this way and have never burned out. I find if I eat my exercise calories I don't lose.m

Then there's a very good chance that your food logging accuracy isn't very good and more by luck than judgement you have cancelled out the mistake of not accounting for exercise.
    Beware that as you get closer to goal weight the muscle sparing effect of being fat lessens so please don't try to lose weight quickly all the way to your target or your results might be disappointing in terms of body composition and looks.

Excuse me, but I've been dieting for nearly a year and lost 2 1/2 stone. I think I know how to do things gradually. I way everything so how dare you critique my "logging accuracy" without even asking me what I do!

Also, I wasn't asking for opinions on my eating/exercise habits.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    I eat them back on most days because I look at exercise in a different light: 1. I have fitness goals independent of my desire to lose weight 2. I like food. Exercising is two birds with one stone, I get to work towards my fitness goals and I get to eat more without hindering my weight loss. I have lost close to 100 pounds so far.

This is pretty much how I think of it as well. :)

• sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    My dietitian said that I need to eat 1500 calories just to be alive, per day. So I aim for that, (or sometimes a little less) per day, no matter if I workout or not. That seems to be my 'sweet spot' where I have had the most success. MFP said that I should only be eating 1200 and I was not losing any weight for the first month (November to December), but once I started the T25 workouts and upped the calorie intake, the weight has started to fall off. Everyone is different and it takes a while to figure out what works for you.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015

So, if you didn't work out at all and maintained your same daily calorie intake, do you gain? It's possible that your daily intake is higher than your body normally burns in a day. ??
    No I just stay at the same weight.

OK, so then if your goals are set to maintain your current weight, then perfect, you have a good balance on your diet profile. However, if your goals are set to lose say 2 lbs a week at an intake of such and such calories, and your not, then something needs tweaking. Most likely on 'normal daily activities'.

* oh, and this is assuming you're accurate on your recording

Have you noticed any superhuman abilities :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I usually eat it back and I am still losing weight. I started out as stone-cold sedentary and I find the day after brisk exercise I am very, very hungry. So I satisfy it by eating enough.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited January 2015
    I usually don't. Honestly, I only eat 1200-1300 on most days. On days that I really push myself, I go up to 1400. Beyond that, I think it has to do more with the quality of food you are putting into your system. I take in a lot of egg whites, baked chicken, and Tuna fish.

That is just me, though. It took me a long time to figure out what works for me. What worked for my friend at the time he was trying to lose weight would was not working for me.

Yikes, as a man you should not be getting less than 1600 or so Net cals (1600 + exercise cals) Otherwise a large % of your weight loss will be coming from lean muscle, not just the fat that you want to lose. Unless you are 4'11, 110lbs, then 1400 or so should suffice.

If you don't weigh your solid foods you may be eating 10-50% more than you think you are as well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Excuse me, but I've been dieting for nearly a year and lost 2 1/2 stone. I think I know how to do things gradually. I way everything so how dare you critique my "logging accuracy" without even asking me what I do!

Also, I wasn't asking for opinions on my eating/exercise habits.

You posted on a public forum asking for opinions so you get them. Feel free to cherry pick the ones that agree with you. If you wanted validation not opinions maybe you should have said so?
    Your diary is also public.

So you are excused.
  • Phoebeg1723
    erickirb wrote: »

Yikes, as a man you should not be getting less than 1600 or so Net cals (1600 + exercise cals) Otherwise a large % of your weight loss will be coming from lean muscle, not just the fat that you want to lose. Unless you are 4'11, 110lbs, then 1400 or so should suffice.

Why do people feel the need to offer advice which hasn't been asked for.. -_-
  • erickirb
    edited January 2015

Because this is scary and I would not want to see anyone do damage to themselves.

And by posting on an open forum they are opening themselves up to be questioned, just like you did with me! :smile:
  • Phoebeg1723

Because this is scary and I would not want to see anyone do damage to themselves.

And by posting on an open forum they are opening themselves up to be questioned, just like you did with me!

When did I question what you eat or don't eat?
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but I have had some binge days this month, so I hope the days I don't eat back my exercise calories help offset the binge days.

Also, MFP says I burned over 1000 calories for 45min of elliptical. Now, I do HIIT on the interval, so I probably do burn on a lot, but over 1000? Also, I don't tell MFP that it's interval training. So, I wouldn't feel comfortable eating back exercise calories due to the perceived lack of accuracy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

And by posting on an open forum they are opening themselves up to be questioned, just like you did with me! :smile:

And because there are many lurkers out there who read but don't post and maybe one of them would see this and think, "wow, maybe I need to take another look at how I'm doing things".

• erickirb

And by posting on an open forum they are opening themselves up to be questioned, just like you did with me!

When did I question what you eat or don't eat?
    You questioned why I posted.
  • erickirb
    Kruggeri wrote: »

And because there are many lurkers out there who read but don't post and maybe one of them would see this and think, "wow, maybe I need to take another look at how I'm doing things".

Thank you... that is another reason!
  • cdiponio87
    cdiponio87 Posts: 15 Member
    I don't eat back. Doesn't seem much point based on the effort. I only trust my Garmin 920XT record of calories burned for activities like running and swimming. it worked for me 60lb loss in 4 months.