Pole Fitness!

Options
Who on here is obsessed with pole fitness/sport? Me too! I'm a pole fitness instructor. How are you involved in the sport?

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love it! I started on Jan. 2 and I've been hooked since the first class. I go to one studio on Saturdays for a 90 minute class and on Tuesdays I go to a different studio for 2 back to back 1 hour classes.
  • missdoomcookie
    missdoomcookie Posts: 21
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yay! More pole fitness folks! :)

I've been going for about two years and am totally hooked. I competed in the Pacific Pole Championships last year and got a silver medal in level 1, and then again later last year in Northwest Pole Art and got a bronze in level 2. I've also performed in a few local shows. I'm gearing up for this year's PPC where I'm going to do a group routine and a solo routine!

Working on strengthening my shoulder mount right now so I can pass into my studio's advanced inversions. I've mastered all of the other inverts my studio defines as intermediate (extended butterfly, allegra, marley, brass monkey, etc) but that darn shoulder mount eludes me...
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

I've been going for about two years and am totally hooked. I competed in the Pacific Pole Championships last year and got a silver medal in level 1, and then again later last year in Northwest Pole Art and got a bronze in level 2. I've also performed in a few local shows. I'm gearing up for this year's PPC where I'm going to do a group routine and a solo routine!

Working on strengthening my shoulder mount right now so I can pass into my studio's advanced inversions. I've mastered all of the other inverts my studio defines as intermediate (extended butterfly, allegra, marley, brass monkey, etc) but that darn shoulder mount eludes me...

That's awesome! Congrats on the awards. This gives me something to look forward to. I just nailed my first pole sit on Tuesday.
  • Pole_Kat
    Pole_Kat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

That's awesome! Congrats on the awards. This gives me something to look forward to. I just nailed my first pole sit on Tuesday.

Spooky - I just did my first pole sit at my last class too... on Tuesday!

I absolutely love pole - I only started at the beginning of this month but I'm already hooked!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I thought I had signed up for an introductory pole dance workout on Groupon, but I don't think it went through. I thought it would be interesting to try, although I'm not sure I have the upper body strength.
  • jdhcm2006
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Spooky - I just did my first pole sit at my last class too... on Tuesday!

I absolutely love pole - I only started at the beginning of this month but I'm already hooked!!

@KatMoore1989‌ Ha! We're pole twins! I just started pole the first Saturday of January. I go to 90 minute classes on Saturday, and I go to 2 pole classes on Tuesday (the first is like a more intense cardio workout with strength elements to get you stronger for the pole. It also utilizes the pole. And the 2nd is the intro pole class with the pole being utilized during the entire class).

During the pole cardio/strength class she made us climb up the pole. I was able to do it. The instructor gave me a little push at the end, but I did majority of the work on my own. I was so proud.

@47Jacqueline‌ Don't worry about your upper body strength. As time goes on you'll naturally get stronger.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with it too, but I have yet to actually do it :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have seen so much about this but I have not tried it yet. I would love to!
  • melissaclaire93
    melissaclaire93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I took a class about a month ago and now that my schedule is a little more open I am SO excited to get into it! I remember after my first class I could barely move....IT WAS AWESOME
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did it for a about a year and a half then stopped for about 9 months due to surgery/lack of time and money over the holidays.
    Got up to advanced prep but had to go back two classes due to strength loss! But SOOO glad I'm back into it!
    Love the pole :) Motivates me to do better at the gym because I want to look good on the pole!
  • chrismotyl848
    chrismotyl848 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It looks like I am interested in exploring this extraordinary sport further :)
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    @vorgas‌ and @chrismotyl848‌ you guys should definitely look into classes that allow men. Men do pole fitness as well. It's not a sport that is solely for women.polefit-men-hp_1.jpg?itok=EbaDxsXs
  • missdoomcookie
    missdoomcookie Posts: 21
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh man, that photo, all those guys in those perfect flags. I can't tell you how often I've shown a male friend how to flag and even though he's not even very active, he just busts one right out. :) I wasn't flagging until at least six months in. (But I know it's just strength in different places!)
  • nikkystylist
    Options
    So happy to see all of you pole peeps!!! How do you put your pole workout into this app as exercise?
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I've read that some people use gymnastics or calisthenics or dancing, aerobics.

I had class (Tuesdays classes are at a different studio than my Saturday class) today and we put all the moves together into a short routine. It's tough.

We do a crucifix into a sit, a sit into a wrist sit with legs locked out straight and try to do a back bend with the dominant hand out, come off the pole and then do some sort of slide where the pole is between both knees, do 2 pole turns, then go into a fireman & backbend combo, and then go into a spin (I can't remember the name but basically you go into a spin that has both knees together & both hands on the pole), and go all the way to the ground do some hoopla to get turned onto your stomach and do a cat stretch into a kneeling position.

I know to you vets, that doesn't seem like a lot, but I've only been going to class for 3 weeks now. I feel confident with a lot of the moves, but some of them I still struggle with. I'm thinking of going to Open Pole on Saturday before my other class. It depends on if I can get up in time.
  • nikkystylist
    Options
    That is awesome! Sounds like you catch on really fast!!!!
  • sammy_boylan
    Options
    Been going since start of January- third class this Thursday and love it! Complete begin but it's a mixed ability class so it's fascinating and motivating to see how far some of the girls have come in a few months/years! X
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    That is awesome! Sounds like you catch on really fast!!!!

I'm a little obsessed, so I try to go 2x a week. If I could go more, I would.
  • nikkystylist
    Options
    I love pole. I've been at it 6 years and am now a beginner/intermediate instructor. I have a son who is 7 and a daughter who is 3. I am in school for occupational therapy and I have been doing hair for 15 years. Very busy. Which is why I have put on a bit of extra weight.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I love pole. I've been at it 6 years and am now a beginner/intermediate instructor. I have a son who is 7 and a daughter who is 3. I am in school for occupational therapy and I have been doing hair for 15 years. Very busy. Which is why I have put on a bit of extra weight.

It happens to the best of us.