What should I eat to gain weight?

Options
is there a list of foods that I can eat that are healthy and will help me gain weight or a meal plan I can follow? I am a female 23 103lbs 5'3"

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat food.

ice cream, bagels, pizza, steak, chicken, rice, pasta, bread, full fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, donuts, cookies, etc...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • bethanimal4
    bethanimal4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    all the things!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Anything you want... As long as you're eating more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. Doesn't matter where those calories come from.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Full-fat everything (cheese, yogurt, etc.), nut butters, avocado, nuts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    kyri12may wrote: »
    is there a list of foods that I can eat that are healthy and will help me gain weight or a meal plan I can follow? I am a female 23 103lbs 5'3"

If the main goal is to gain weight, then actually eating calorie dense foods will help you gain weight a lot faster than eating "healthy" but non-calorie dense foods. Unless you are willing to eat a lot of nuts, avocados, etc etc etc.

I don't see why you want to make it harder to gain weight. Gain the weight first then adjust your food choices later
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    eat food.

ice cream, bagels, pizza, steak, chicken, rice, pasta, bread, full fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, donuts, cookies, etc...

All of this.
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Anything you want... As long as you're eating more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. Doesn't matter where those calories come from.

And this too.
  • Connie68
    Options
    It depends. Are you trying to gain muscle or a more voluptuous figure? If you're wanting to gain muscle, you'll need to work out with weights and eat lots of protein and high, but healthy carbs. If you want to gain voluptuousness then eat anything your heart desires :)
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    kyri12may wrote: »

To be mildly more helpful, the point of the above responses is that there is no such thing as "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods.

All you care about is eating enough calories to get the energy your body needs, and hit the weight you want. Beyond that, as long as you get the daily vitamins & minerals you need, you can eat anything you want.

Consider yourself lucky - bulking (ie: gaining weight) is way more fun than cutting (ie: losing weight). Enjoy your ice cream! ;)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Connie68 wrote: »
    It depends. Are you trying to gain muscle or a more voluptuous figure? If you're wanting to gain muscle, you'll need to work out with weights and eat lots of protein and high, but healthy carbs. If you want to gain voluptuousness then eat anything your heart desires :)

Um, no...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

why can't I eat everything my heart desires- gain muscle AND have a voluptuous figure??
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

What? This is not how it works..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever will put you in a calorie surplus.
  • savannaleejohnson
    Options
    Don't just binge on Twinkies and HoHo's, because that's not healthy for you. My doctor recommended for me to stop snacking and to have 4 large meals a day. They all need to have GOOD food in the meals. You need meats, dairy, vegetables, etc. It will make you gain weight that will help your body, not make it worse.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Not true. I eat everything, I lift weights and I am gaining all kinds of wonderful curves. You can have it all :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want above your maintenance calories. Eating stuff like brownies, cookies, ice cream, pizza, burgers, twinkies, etc. make it easy to get your calories in without making you feel super full with just a little bit of food.
  • Syd3Strong
    Syd3Strong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, whole milk/yogurt, Ezekiel bread, protein powder, avocados,etc
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't just binge on Twinkies and HoHo's, because that's not healthy for you. My doctor recommended for me to stop snacking and to have 4 large meals a day. They all need to have GOOD food in the meals. You need meats, dairy, vegetables, etc. It will make you gain weight that will help your body, not make it worse.

@savannaleejohnson‌ Twinkies and HoHo's are acceptable in moderation. Plenty of MFP members use foods like cookies, poptarts, cake, cheesecake, chips, etc. to hit their macros/calorie goal.