What should I eat to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• kyri12may
    Options
    Thanks for the comments but I want to make a lifestyle change to eat healthier. I started working out to gain muscle and I already eat three meals a day. The things I ate today were in the morning I ate peanut butter banana sandwich, then I Workouted, after my workout I drank a mass&weight gainer shake. For lunch I ate salmon, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. For dinner not sure what I am going to eat. What other foods would you recommend besides junk food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) it's not junk food
    2.) you can eat all the "health" food you want- no surplus- no sweet ganz brah.

so eat up- if that means eating junk food- suck it up butter cup and eat it.
    IF you can eat your surplus in boiled chicken breasts bucket of quiona and broccoli- have at it my friend- but at some point you're going to want to die eating so much high volume low calorie food.

Bulking- the exact OPPOSITE of cutting- meaning- making the most of high calorie- low volume foods- verses weight loss- making the most of the lowest calorie- most filling foods.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    kyri12may wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments but I want to make a lifestyle change to eat healthier. I started working out to gain muscle and I already eat three meals a day. The things I ate today were in the morning I ate peanut butter banana sandwich, then I Workouted, after my workout I drank a mass&weight gainer shake. For lunch I ate salmon, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. For dinner not sure what I am going to eat. What other foods would you recommend besides junk food.

good luck labeling foods, eating three meals a day and not listening to reason...
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Connie68 wrote: »
    It depends. Are you trying to gain muscle or a more voluptuous figure? If you're wanting to gain muscle, you'll need to work out with weights and eat lots of protein and high, but healthy carbs. If you want to gain voluptuousness then eat anything your heart desires :)

why can't I eat everything my heart desires- gain muscle AND have a voluptuous figure??

My plan exactly.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand how difficult it will be to eat strictly whole/non-processed/clean/raw foods… whatever you call it... and end up in a calorie surplus. I don't know anyone who could eat 500 calories of broccoli or asparagus.

By the way, it's not junk food. It's just food. It's energy. It's food that will help you meet your goals. That's what you want, right?

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand how difficult it will be to eat strictly whole/non-processed/clean/raw foods… whatever you call it... and end up in a calorie surplus. I don't know anyone who could eat 500 calories of broccoli or asparagus.
    Especially not day in/day out. Gaining weight purposefully takes so much longer than I thought it would, and there's no way I could keep making myself eat pounds of veg every day for months on end.

• jeanette526
    jeanette526 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    a 23 yr old woman who weighs 103lbs doesn't sound like a weight lifter to me. right? You already know that eating more food is the real answer to your question so rather than offend you by stating the obvious may i suggest you see a doctor and find out why you cannot keep or gain weight. You might have a thyroid problem. My father had that problem.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't understand why all you guys are acting like the only high calorie foods out there are things like pizza/chocolate/etc. You can 'eat healthy' and still gain weight, as long as your calorie goal isnt super high. Obviously everything is fine in moderation, but advising her to switch from fruits/veg and fish etc to just pizza and brownies to stack on the pounds is probably going to feel crappy, especially as she's specifically asking for foods similar to the style she normally eats, and if she's found something that works then great - she should stick with it and just adjust slightly.
    -
    Easy ways to add calories includes the above food in moderation as easy calories, but they shouldnt be the be all and end all (dont stop eating fruit & veg etc, they might not be high in calories but you still want those nutrients). You can also start cooking with oil (olive oil ~120c per tablespoon), nuts are great for calories and fats with pecan, pine and brazil being some of the highest, nut butters lead on from that pretty obviously with almond butter being delicious and just beating out peanut, dried fruit can have a loooot of calories (eg cherries are 226 per half cup) but if sugar is something that concerns you I'd double check the labels, avocados tend to have over 300 calories each, then you get into grains, dairy, eggs, fish, bananas, butter etc.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

By the way, it's not junk food. It's just food. It's energy. It's food that will help you meet your goals. That's what you want, right?
    Even if you could eat 500 calories of broccoli or asparagus, I imagine you would have some really atrocious gas as a result.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody said
    Metazoick wrote: »
    to switch from fruits/veg and fish etc to just pizza and brownies
    We said to ADD more food to what she's already eating. Pizza and brownies are both good choices for things she can ADD.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Obviously everything is fine in moderation, but advising her to switch from fruits/veg and fish etc to just pizza and brownies to stack on the pounds is probably going to feel crappy, especially as she's specifically asking for foods similar to the style she normally eats, and if she's found something that works then great - she should stick with it and just adjust slightly.

NOBODY did that. They, and now I - so we - are suggesting she add some of those foods to her diet in order to reach her goal.

Why is that always the extreme argument some people try to say that others make, when it's clearly not?

eta: Ninja'd by Alice.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    I don't understand why all you guys are acting like the only high calorie foods out there are things like pizza/chocolate/etc. You can 'eat healthy' and still gain weight, as long as your calorie goal isnt super high. Obviously everything is fine in moderation, but advising her to switch from fruits/veg and fish etc to just pizza and brownies to stack on the pounds is probably going to feel crappy, especially as she's specifically asking for foods similar to the style she normally eats, and if she's found something that works then great - she should stick with it and just adjust slightly.
    -
    Easy ways to add calories includes the above food in moderation as easy calories, but they shouldnt be the be all and end all (dont stop eating fruit & veg etc, they might not be high in calories but you still want those nutrients). You can also start cooking with oil (olive oil ~120c per tablespoon), nuts are great for calories and fats with pecan, pine and brazil being some of the highest, nut butters lead on from that pretty obviously with almond butter being delicious and just beating out peanut, dried fruit can have a loooot of calories (eg cherries are 226 per half cup) but if sugar is something that concerns you I'd double check the labels, avocados tend to have over 300 calories each, then you get into grains, dairy, eggs, fish, bananas, butter etc.

So you know how the OP will feel by eating certain foods? And who stated to switch from eating micronutrient dense foods to pizza and brownies??

If you read the tread and was open minded instead of having a bias, you would see we are telling OP that no food is inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy". The fact is, for some individuals, eating a ton of micronutrient dense foods to pack on weight just isn't the option. What good is a plan if in the end you can't follow through? There is room for all foods in a balanced diet.

Yes, you can add oils and the like, but is that honestly enjoyable? That seems like a waste of calories to me.

And I feel awesome eating my pizza and brownies by the way...

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    -

@Metazoick‌ NO ONE said to ONLY eat brownies, pizza, chocolate, etc.

We all suggest eating nutrient-dense foods like fruits and veggies. We suggest eating calorie-dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, fatty fish, etc. We are simply saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating ice cream, brownies, and pizza to help her meet her calorie goal and macros.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    NOBODY did that. They, and now I - so we - are suggesting she add some of those foods to her diet in order to reach her goal.

Why is that always the extreme argument some people try to say that others make, when it's clearly not?
    Maybe I overreacted, if so I apologise, but my response was mainly due to nobody saying anything like 'in addiction' and simply listing high calorie foods that the OP most likely wasn't looking for from the wording of her first post and simply stating to just eat those things, and due to people acting as if 'eating healthy' would entail having to eat a stupid amount of veg as though that were the only alternative. I totally agree that those foods are fine in moderation, as I said, I just didn't want OP to think she has to stop what she's currently doing and switch to ice cream for fear of not gaining the weight. My bad if I read the tone wrong.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    -

no one suggested ONLY eating those things.

I see a lot of food you have added that you have to eat a lot of in order to get significant calories.

Plus-come on- cherries vs a snickers bar?
    which one is easier to eat? a snickers bar.
    which one gives you a better marco profile? a snickers bar!
    which one is going to help you lift better- a snickers bar!

no one is saying drop eating a moderate diet and getting the foods you need- chicken- steak- veggies- more veggies- butter, olive oil, but come on- ice cream + oreos. is a win.

We aren't talking eating all 3000+ calories in pizza and ice cream for 6 months straight- that's absurd. But no reason to not fill out the rest of your day with delicious high calorie food that doesn't leave you feeling over stuffed.

You don't get bonus points for being 'extra' healthy on a bulk.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    -

no one suggested ONLY eating those things.

I see a lot of food you have added that you have to eat a lot of in order to get significant calories.

Plus-come on- cherries vs a snickers bar?
    which one is easier to eat? a snickers bar.
    which one gives you a better marco profile? a snickers bar!
    which one is going to help you lift better- a snickers bar!

no one is saying drop eating a moderate diet and getting the foods you need- chicken- steak- veggies- more veggies- butter, olive oil, but come on- ice cream + oreos. is a win.

We aren't talking eating all 3000+ calories in pizza and ice cream for 6 months straight- that's absurd. But no reason to not fill out the rest of your day with delicious high calorie food that doesn't leave you feeling over stuffed.

You don't get bonus points for being 'extra' healthy on a bulk.

You do however, get bonus points for waking up early and training... ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I see your are taking the path labeled "no gains" ...

good luck getting into a surplus eating clean ..

and the food that everyone listed are not "junk" they are just calorie dense foods that will help you get into a surplus and hit your macro/micro goals.
  • ndj1979
    Options

for real ..sometimes I pre log my day and think Ok, I should be close and realize I am like 600 calories from 3100 ..that is when I do a happy dance because that means I can have 400 calories of ice cream and some cookies...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    -

Well hello there captain Strawman ..

please find the one person in this thread that advocated a diet of pizza and brownies all day ..

OP asked what foods would put her in a surplus and everyone responded....when you are trying to add weight/bulk the surplus is the most important part..but no one is saying eat 3100 calories of brownies all day. ..