Ladies running without a shirt?

Options
Short Version: Is is appropriate for women who will be on a fairly busy city road to run in a sports bra outside?

The Rambling Vertion
It was insanely hot here today but I had to get out for a run (thank you delicious banana creme cupcake) I figured the less clothes the easier it would be to stay cool. I live in the city so my runs aren't secluded there is basically no route where I won't be running into people since I live off two main streets that go for miles and miles anyways... Even tho I am running where people are its not like I am parading through a sea of prison inmates in a sequin bra and thong... I had on a pair of running shorts longer than most skirts and a sports bra that covers significantly more than a bathing suite. I'm not doing this because I am vain because I am not in the slights in fact I was bloated as hell' did i happen to mention I also ate two donuts today? And I don't pay attention to anyone or anything in my run Im completely oblivious but someone made a comment today as I was crossing the street (aka pretty much only time I am not zoned out cos you know Boston's drivers and cross walks...can lead to death) not that I really care what random people think but I was just curious, I don't really see why it's an issue but wanted to her your views

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    it covers more than a swimsuit I use like the tanky ones so it comes to my navel I would not feel too bad about running in it outside
  • Wordrioter
    Wordrioter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - go for it. If a person commented to you it was because that person had a problem, not you. I'm female too btw.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing. Most of my sports bras look exactly like regular bras so i dont think i could get away with it...but, why not....if men can run shirtless we should be able to run in a top thats no different than a bikini top.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Women should be able to run in a sports bra (and workout in one too). it's really not a big deal. How is that any different from a swimsuit? Ignore people. There will always be someone who has to make a stink about nothing.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. You might cause a few crashes though :laugh:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I see women all the time running with just a sports bra. I don't see anything wrong with it. Run in whatever you are comfortable running in.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston too. I see girls doing this all the time at the river and I assume they must have gotten there by running on the street. I think it's fine. Would I do it? Heck no! But that's because no one wants to see any bit of my mid drift.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    If guys can run without a shirt and in shorts that barely cover their junk, why shouldn't you be able to wear that? Someone will always have issues with what others are doing. If you feel comfortable and are cooler, then go for it. If you really are concerned and feel as though you should cover up more, look for a running shirt that has good air movement and pulls the sweat away.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Go for it! There's nothing wrong with running in a sports bra. It covers more than a bikini top would.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, and on any given day in the Summer when you drive down town there are lady's everywhere doing their own thing in "Sports Bras" We don't make a big deal about it because the summer here is scorching HOT!! I would pay other no mind, and do what makes you comfortable,
  • tjkramer
    tjkramer Posts: 16
    Options
    Where?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. I'd like to do it myself but I am not quite ready confidence wise for that. Men run without shirts all the time. Women should be able to run in just a sports bra.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Live just outside NYC in a Jersey city and run both on the street and in the parks and a decent fitting sports bra is as much the rule as not. I am not a female so if comments are made I don't really know but a lot of the women here run that way as well as singlets over tops or tech tops from other races.
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Around here that is the norm when its hot...I can't understand why anyone would have a problem with it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Sports bra> Over heating
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've actually been debating doing this, well if I didn't only have a nude colored sports bra... it would kinda look like I'm not wearing anything from a distance lol!

In the city I live in it is SO common for men to walk around without shirts especially during the summer because the humidity is so high! If I seen a woman in a sports bra and running shorts, I'd probably think "wow, wish I was that cool.... frick I'm hot, stupid shirt!"
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    You go! Comfort over rules everything. You probably looked terrific too:)
  • Mom2my3girls
    Mom2my3girls Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A sports bra is the norm around here also. I cannot wait for the day that I feel comfortable in one...way better than a baggy t-shirt any day. Go for it!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The title had me envisioning a scene from Baywatch - sans swimsuit.. LOL

But yes, run in your sports bra girl! If I did, I think people would run for cover :laugh:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Can ladies run in a sports bra for a top? Of course if they can get away with that look. Can you get away with this look? If you have to ask then probably not.