Ladies running without a shirt?

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I see lots of younger women doing it. Me? I wear the workout tanks that have the bra built in or I wear a tank over a sports bra. But tha'ts mainly because my tummy isn't yet worth revealing to the world. ;D
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    well if all the ladies in the workout dvd's can wear just the exercise bra why can't we run in them. I wish I felt comfortable doing it because it is getting HOT out here. I'm to chicken
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Yay very happy to hear all the positive reactions! I agree totally guys just walking down the street here are shirtless all the time roofers and other outdoor workers are constantly shirtless and who can blame them in the heat?

I mean I barely have breast larger than a prepubescent 14 year old so there is not much bay watch esq. action occurring

I ask only because its a rule at my gym, as well as one of the trails I run on so I know it can rub some people the wrong way as a fairly empathetic person I can see that point of view I suppose but I think it's silly

Also fellow runners especially Boston locals and just anyone awesome should add me! I love people with similar interests
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If I had the body for it, I would do it without thinking twice. The heat sucks and if I'm going on a run in the heat, then I will wear something that causes the least amount of suffering. :P
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Short Version: Is is appropriate for women who will be on a fairly busy city road to run in a sports bra outside?

The Rambling Vertion
    It was insanely hot here today but I had to get out for a run (thank you delicious banana creme cupcake) I figured the less clothes the easier it would be to stay cool. I live in the city so my runs aren't secluded there is basically no route where I won't be running into people since I live off two main streets that go for miles and miles anyways... Even tho I am running where people are its not like I am parading through a sea of prison inmates in a sequin bra and thong... I had on a pair of running shorts longer than most skirts and a sports bra that covers significantly more than a bathing suite. I'm not doing this because I am vain because I am not in the slights in fact I was bloated as hell' did i happen to mention I also ate two donuts today? And I don't pay attention to anyone or anything in my run Im completely oblivious but someone made a comment today as I was crossing the street (aka pretty much only time I am not zoned out cos you know Boston's drivers and cross walks...can lead to death) not that I really care what random people think but I was just curious, I don't really see why it's an issue but wanted to her your views

Nothing wrong with this at all. I say run in whatever you are most comfortable wearing.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    If you are running at night, through a "bad" neighborhood, or through an area where it would be easy for someone to grab you, I'd put on a full shirt.

Otherwise, sports bra and shorts are perfectly fine, and a lot more than some guys wear! By all means, be comfortable!
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Can ladies run in a sports bra for a top? Of course if they can get away with that look. Can you get away with this look? If you have to ask then probably not.

The way I see it its not a fashion show I am not trying to impress anyone and I honestly don't care if people see my not perfectly flat stomach, I am not cat walking down a runway trying to look hot in fact I probably look like I am on the brink of death when I run in the type of weather where I wouldn't wear a shirt lol.
  • meanbeanmachine
    meanbeanmachine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Who cares what people think, do what feels comfortable. Anyone who makes a negative remark is simply jealous.

I've caught myself saying "Look at this *kitten* running with his shirt off."

But, secretly I'm thinking "Damn, I wish I looked like that."
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Short Version: Is is appropriate for women who will be on a fairly busy city road to run in a sports bra outside?

The Rambling Vertion
    It was insanely hot here today but I had to get out for a run (thank you delicious banana creme cupcake) I figured the less clothes the easier it would be to stay cool. I live in the city so my runs aren't secluded there is basically no route where I won't be running into people since I live off two main streets that go for miles and miles anyways... Even tho I am running where people are its not like I am parading through a sea of prison inmates in a sequin bra and thong... I had on a pair of running shorts longer than most skirts and a sports bra that covers significantly more than a bathing suite. I'm not doing this because I am vain because I am not in the slights in fact I was bloated as hell' did i happen to mention I also ate two donuts today? And I don't pay attention to anyone or anything in my run Im completely oblivious but someone made a comment today as I was crossing the street (aka pretty much only time I am not zoned out cos you know Boston's drivers and cross walks...can lead to death) not that I really care what random people think but I was just curious, I don't really see why it's an issue but wanted to her your views

Shake them haters off girlie! Women can run and work out in sports bras- especially outside!
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Can ladies run in a sports bra for a top? Of course if they can get away with that look. Can you get away with this look? If you have to ask then probably not.

The way I see it its not a fashion show I am not trying to impress anyone and I honestly don't care if people see my not perfectly flat stomach, I am not cat walking down a runway trying to look hot in fact I probably look like I am on the brink of death when I run in the type of weather where I wouldn't wear a shirt lol.

lol just run in what is comfortable. You said you don't care if people see you in your sports bra so go on then! Who cares what other people think? You're out there doing something good for yourself not for others and if people have comments to make other than "Damn, good for her!" or "Look at her go!" then they can go... and well you know how that ends. :flowerforyou:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely fine! but I would feel self-conscious about it because a lot of people are rude and inappropriate, unfortunately. I live in Florida so it gets really hot here too.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    :grumble:
    "get away with that look," really?
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    If I had the body for it, I would do it without thinking twice. The heat sucks and if I'm going on a run in the heat, then I will wear something that causes the least amount of suffering. :P
    If you have a body, then you have the body for it :flowerforyou:
    but realistically, I understand what you mean. I feel self-conscious too!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In California, women do it regularly. Not an issue.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree. Nothing wrong with a sports bra whatsoever
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep, but then again i dont see why it's an issue women being topless on a city street same as a dude. and i see all kinds of guys i'd rather not see topless be topless.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    If I get really sweaty on the elliptical, I sometimes hike my tank top up to my sports bra. I have always wondered if that is socially acceptable. But I figure there are people in the next room swimming in less, so it shouldn't be a big deal. :shrug:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Those sort of people (who make comments) need to get over it.
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. Especially when its very hot outside.

I exercise in a sports bra and underware. lol. Granted I don't go outside, and no one is around. It just feels cooler that way.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable then go for it! They cover a lot more then other things I've seen people wear (even if they shouldn't be wearing them)!