Food intolerances - spill 'em!

Options
CaseyBee
CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
I've recently discovered that I likely have a peanut intolerance, which KILLS. Not literally, just figuratively. As in, peanut butter is the world's most perfect creation, and I'm crushed! Also, life without peanutty stews and curries? Blegh. Worst. I wish I could be intolerant of something like, oh, lobster. I hate lobster.

Do you have any intolerances (different than allergies) and if so, when did they show up? I've had peanuts aall 26 years of my life, until the last few weeks brought on stomach pain so awful, I thought I was dying. Paged through my diarty, and found the offender pretty quickly. Wah!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, eggplant, and tomatoes. Wah!!!! I was alerted to these intolerances abt 3 years ago so at age 32. My guts definitely let me know if I've had too much potato or tomato, rather violently.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    any kind of seafood. started noticing when I was a kid when I had a severe reaction to shrimp (closed my airways). was able to have stuff like tuna, crabs, oysters for a bit and as I got older even those would cause me to have a reaction (not like the shrimp tho). so I stopped eating any sea critters. strangely i can still have small amounts of tuna so i guess i have no tuna allergy, so hopefully i can work my way up to other fish. just no shellfish for me.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    bacon and most pork. My bf says it's my jewish side taking over. It really makes me sick and feel horrible like I just ate lard. Same with icees and most fast food. It starts with a stomach ache then my arms start to hurt, then I feel gross and uncomfortable like I'm about to puke for the rest of the day.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As of today: wheat, corn, barley, rye, oats, (pretty much all grains except quinoa and rice) dairy (all dairy including cheese), pork, apples, grapes, dates, green beans, onions, eggplant, mushrooms, beans (all beans)... most things... seriously... most things....

They started showing up in my teens and early twenties and have just compounded in the last 4 years.

I can eat peanuts. I don't even like peanut butter. I'd really like to eat food again though. Trade you.
  • JMfan
    JMfan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    NONE! I'm pretty lucky.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    onion (unless cooked to death in a soup or stew and even then...), bell peppers, lamb
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The only intolerance I have is shellfish..

I have numerous food allergies
    bananas
    melons of any kinds
    pecans
    walnuts,
    macadamia nuts
    avocados
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Anything made with regular plain white flour kills me. My guts cry, groan and grumble for hours. Whole wheat breads are better, but still a problem. Interestingly enough though, organic bread is just fine. No muttering at all.

Apples in pretty much any form except raw or basic apple sauce give me a wicked belly ache and always have.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    DAIRY!!! *dies* I take a pro-biotic with lactose in it, it helps but still somethings will cause stomach pains like crazy and I won't know till 30 minutes later if its going to be an issue. So sucks.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Dairy and gluten intolerances...no fun!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant since I was about 12. Ive found that I can handle dairy as long as it is fat free or no more than 2% reduced fat. I cant drink milk straight. I can't handle sharp cheeses, which sucks because i Iove cheese. I can do mozzarella, cottage cheese, most yogurts without issues. I sacrifice for ice cream lol.

Ive become intolerant to high fat and greasy foods like fast food hamburgers/cheeseburgers and pizza so it makes it very easy for me to avoid eating at those places.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    DAIRY!!! *dies* I take a pro-biotic with lactose in it, it helps but still somethings will cause stomach pains like crazy and I won't know till 30 minutes later if its going to be an issue. So sucks.

Are you lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy? If it's the former, my best friend takes something that lets her have ice cream, although she only uses it occasionally.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wheat and Dairy (not yogurt)...especially cheese. If I eat them daily my weight loss slows and my digestion rebels :ohwell:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Crustaceans.. I could and did eat prawns especially almost every weekend then I hit about 17 years of age and now can't. i hate it since it's my favourite food!!!!!!!:sad:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to Truvia beyond a certain consumption at one meal because of the sugar alcohols in it. It's also touch and go with other sugar substitutes, except for Splenda. Fortunately my tolerance is decent so I can enjoy them every now and then.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I seem to have developed an intolerance to almonds.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Dairy...my whole life but I occasionally have some plus I love cheese. I bear the rough consequences of that. I noticed about 6yrs ago that mixing lots different types of proteins gives me the "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" effect. Oh...and loads of fatty food...cant tolerate that.
  • carlielove
    carlielove Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dairy, which makes me sad because I love all things dairy. I think I may have some sort of intolerance to something else that I haven't quite pinpointed yet, because my stomach has been rebelling against me quite often lately.
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a slight dairy sensitivity but intolerances.. I can't eat bleu cheese or any cheese/food that features mold as an ingredient. Makes me have annoying deep cough.