Rinsing ground beef?

Options
I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

Replies

• annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    anybody?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I drain the fat, but I log it simply as a cooked meat. Better to err on the side of more than less. :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You rinse cooked meat with water? :noway:
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER heard of rinsing ground beef! You mean with water? That sounds...interesting. To answer your question, I use ground beef all the time and just make sure to let it drain for awhile and then press down hard with the back of spoon to get out as much fat as possible. Seems to do the trick.
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I Do a light rinse on my ground beef, too. I buy 80/20 for the taste. Any leaner and it chokes me because of the dryness. I don't even like 90/10 for spaghetti. If I am going to eat red meat, I'm going to eat the kind for taste! I prefer chicken, but my husband prefers red meat. Therefore, we eat a lot of red meat. Fish and chicken are still my favorite meats.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I also rinse ground beef after its cooked before I add to casseroles and soups stews sauces

I usually count it as lean ground
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I rinse all of mine - Like another poster - I leave the calories as they are.

I thought everyone rinsed their ground beef.

Learn something every day! :drinker:
  • whierd
    Options
    I am so shocked and offended that you all mistreat your meat. I bet you all press your burgers on the grill too. ADMIT IT!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not sure there's anyway to accurately log that. I always like to be conservative anyway, so log it as 80/20 or whatever it was and know you have a little built in buffer.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I drain it, but don't rinse. I usually season mine as it's cooking so it makes no sense for me to wash all the yummy off of it. I do think I saw an entry in the data base when I was putting stuff in for a recipe that was something like ground beef, rinsed. Not sure what the difference calorie wise is.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've always rinsed ground beef, turkey and sausage to get fat off!! Funny that this is weird to some people! :) guess you cook like you're taught haha
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    I am so shocked and offended that you all mistreat your meat. I bet you all press your burgers on the grill too. ADMIT IT!

Nope. Burgers are different - ground beef goes _in_ stuff. If you don't rinse it - then it's all greasy.
  • whierd
    Options

Nope. Burgers are different - ground beef goes _in_ stuff. If you don't rinse it - then it's all greasy.

What do you know? You rinse ground beef.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

is it still beef or does the molecular composition change once you've put ground meat in contact with running water?
  • JUDDDing
    Options

What do you know? You rinse ground beef.

Touche
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    :laugh:
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

is it still beef or does the molecular composition change once you've put ground meat in contact with running water?

just figured removing grease has to remove calories lol but i think erring on the side of caution is always good.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    People seriously rinse their ground beef? Talk about clean eating
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you drink the water you used to rinse it, does it still count as water?
  • whierd
    Options

just figured removing grease has to remove calories lol but i think erring on the side of caution is always good.

Considering fat isn't water soluble, how much fat is actually being removed?