Rinsing ground beef?

Options

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of rinsing ground beef in water either.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I guess to each his own, I wouldn't rinse ground beef...for me, draining well is enough. Part of the flavor of the meat comes from the fat. So unless you eat ground beef a LOT (I have it a couple times a month), I wouldn't be too concerned about the little bit of fat left after draining.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A WW group leader told us as well to rinse cooked ground beef, however, I do not do this ever.
    It removes ANY beef taste from your food, totally not worth it.
    Just drain the fat away.
  • applek730
    applek730 Posts: 2
    Options
    why not just drain it well and put it on paper towel to get excess grease off. water seems so strange and flavor removing, even if you are putting it IN something.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Considering fat isn't water soluble, how much fat is actually being removed?

Not all of it - but if you use hot water it gets a lot.

You don't need it to be in solution to rinse.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

is it still beef or does the molecular composition change once you've put ground meat in contact with running water?

Do i log this as water? Or just as ground meat? Or as a meat/water slurry composition?

If you just dumped it onto some paper towels, you can get rid of the excess fat without completely destroying the flavor. I do this with Italian suasage all of the time.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    why not just drain it well and put it on paper towel to get excess grease off. water seems so strange and flavor removing, even if you are putting it IN something.

It still tastes like beef. I season afterwards.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Considering fat isn't water soluble, how much fat is actually being removed?

Not all of it - but if you use hot water it gets a lot.

You don't need it to be in solution to rinse.

You removing all of the fat, flavor, and spices you used to cook the ground beef. It just seems pointless to me. Why not just forget the ground beef at that point?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Incredibly weird..... Over estimate your food numbers. underestimate your exercise. If you try to take calories off your food for odd things like rinsing ground beef then you probably aren't measuring as well as you should and those calories can add up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    And for the record, why is 80/20 considered crappy ground beef? That 90% lean tastes like crap. If I don't want fat and don't care if my meat taste like crap I'll just buy ground turkey.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    You removing all of the fat, flavor, and spices you used to cook the ground beef. It just seems pointless to me. Why not just forget the ground beef at that point?

Try it - it's not severe - it will taste the same, but just less greasy.

It might be gross if you were planning to have a bowl of straight ground beef, but in tacos, hamburger helper, etc - no problem.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Does that qualify as clean?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Can you just buy beef and grind it yourself with some onion? Trust me, the quality and the taste will be much better. Even expensive ground beef is a mystery meat. You have no control or idea of what is in it. I never feed that to my family.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I've always rinsed ground beef, turkey and sausage to get fat off!! Funny that this is weird to some people! :) guess you cook like you're taught haha

^ This. The grease, even residual after letting it drain good does not mix well with some things you put the ground beef in.

Always have and always will. Any kind of meat that is browned gets rinsed, with the exception of ground venison because it is so lean sometimes I have to add EVOO or coconut oil to it so it doesn't burn while browning.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Try it - it's not severe - it will taste the same, but just less greasy.

It might be gross if you were planning to have a bowl of straight ground beef, but in tacos, hamburger helper, etc - no problem.

As DavPal suggested, why not just use ground turkey at that point?
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Well, color me educated. I had NO idea that anyone rinsed their cooked meat with water.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am so shocked and offended that you all mistreat your meat. I bet you all press your burgers on the grill too. ADMIT IT!

or flip things on the grill six or seven times.. no no no no no!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat a high-fat diet so I would never drain fat off of anything.
  • JUDDDing
    Options

As DavPal suggested, why not just use ground turkey at that point?

I like the flavor of beef.

Almost exclusively (well, buffalo, elk, venison, etc is good too).

I don't think I've ever eaten ground turkey.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Can you just buy beef and grind it yourself with some onion? Trust me, the quality and the taste will be much better. Even expensive ground beef is a mystery meat. You have no control or idea of what is in it. I never feed that to my family.

Wait what?
    How is ground beef mystery meat? and What do you mean you don't know what's in it?

First off, it should have an ingredients label, and secondly, that ingredients label should only read: beef