Rinsing ground beef?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am so shocked and offended that you all mistreat your meat. I bet you all press your burgers on the grill too. ADMIT IT!

or flip things on the grill six or seven times.. no no no no no!

One flip, and one flip only. Or death.
  • whierd
    Options

As DavPal suggested, why not just use ground turkey at that point?

I like the flavor of beef.

Almost exclusively (well, buffalo, elk, venison, etc is good too).

I don't think I've ever eaten ground turkey.

No you don't, or you wouldn't destroy the flavor of the beef by rinsing it. :P
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    First off, it should have an ingredients label, and secondly, that ingredients label should only read: beef

Well, beef and suet.

Ground beef without suet is totally different (not tender).
  • whierd
    Options
    Can you just buy beef and grind it yourself with some onion? Trust me, the quality and the taste will be much better. Even expensive ground beef is a mystery meat. You have no control or idea of what is in it. I never feed that to my family.

That is kind of a high horse response. There is nothing wrong with beef that is ground at the store. And yes, they grind their own beef. The only reason I would recommend grinding your own beef is if you found a good cut on sale and wanted to grind it, or wanted to control the specific amount of fat you're putting in it.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I always rinse with boiling hot water then return to the pan (after washing the pan) bring back to temp and season. Rinsing has never changed the taste.

I count it at whatever the label says and figure that will take up some slack for something that I may have under estimated.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am so sad for all the meats right now. sad-girl-cry-text-Favim.com-642590.jpg

All this rinsing and smashing and then completely rejecting for turkey. Dios mio.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I am so shocked and offended that you all mistreat your meat. I bet you all press your burgers on the grill too. ADMIT IT!

I am gentle with the meat I handle. I NEVER grill it. That doesn't sound good to me at all. And rinsing it, well, that would just ruin all the natural flavors.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I am so sad for all the meats right now. sad-girl-cry-text-Favim.com-642590.jpg

All this rinsing and smashing and then completely rejecting for turkey. Dios mio.

I weep for humanity with all this beef abuse.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    If you drink the water you used to rinse it, does it still count as water?

MIND....BLOWN....
  • whierd
    Options

I am gentle with the meat I handle. I NEVER grill it. That doesn't sound good to me at all. And rinsing it, well, that would just ruin all the natural flavors.

I prefer it when you're not so gentle with it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

I prefer it when you're not so gentle with it.

Well, I guess I'm learning to grill then :smile:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I willing to give it a try; but just how do you go about it, do you put it in a colander?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I willing to give it a try; but just how do you go about it, do you put it in a colander?

Yeah, that's how I do it.

Just pour it into a colander and then use REALLY hot water - so that it rinses and not congeals.

Then put it back into the hot pan and season.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    post-18723-Eddie-Murphy-dafuq-gif-Bg9F.gif
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

LMAO!!!
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We grow our own healthy grass-fed beef, so I don't rinse mine, but you could save your rinse water one time, refrigerate, then see how much fat solidifies on top. If you end up with a tablespoon, you know you have saved 120 calories in fat.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You rinse cooked meat with water? :noway:

Oh! I thought she meant uncooked. But rinsing cooked meat with water?! :sick:
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

is it still beef or does the molecular composition change once you've put ground meat in contact with running water?

just figured removing grease has to remove calories lol but i think erring on the side of caution is always good.

Considering fat isn't water soluble, how much fat is actually being removed?

:laugh:
    Must rinse meat with olive oil.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

ROFL
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Can you just buy beef and grind it yourself with some onion? Trust me, the quality and the taste will be much better. Even expensive ground beef is a mystery meat. You have no control or idea of what is in it. I never feed that to my family.

Wait what?
    How is ground beef mystery meat? and What do you mean you don't know what's in it?

First off, it should have an ingredients label, and secondly, that ingredients label should only read: beef

USDA does not require that pink slime is labeled. It can be called "beef".
    Cheap fillers of fat, tendons and other unsellable pieces are very often added in. And those are not even illegal.
    (As far as illegal stuff goes, as a huge UK horse meat in burgers scandal shows they won't even stop there.)

Secondly, increasing surface area of the meat promotes a much more rapid growth of bacteria. And grinding the meat increases the surface area many times over. So they are adding more coloring and more disinfectant. If not sold, they also will re-ground it again, and add coloring and disinfectant again. I'm not saying they are not doing the same thing with actual cuts of beef, but the exposed surface area is smaller. And even with $30 a lb meat, they will still do it. They want to lose as little money as possible, period.

I buy a whole piece of beef, wash the surface of it to get some of that stuff off, and than grind it myself.

I'm not even talking about smaller risks, such as how often and how thoroughly those grinders are cleaned compared to how I clean them at home. How much meat goes through them, and if one is contaminated, that bacteria in ground meat has really much more chance to grow....

I don't want to take those risks or consume any additives or ammonia. I especially don't want to feed it to my toddler.
    I also like my burgers RARE and fresh. (I still cook the meat through for my son though, no matter how many steps I take to ensure its quality. You just never know.)